Protection of prospective new members by mods

Protection of prospective new members by mods

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
One of the issues that arises is that the mods often say they are constantly in a lose/lose scenario. If they come down harder on aberrant behaviour, they are criticised. If they are more lenient they are criticised.  Mods lose either way, which is undesirable. 

It has come to my attention from communication with a mod, that there are many lurkers on 442 who are too intimidated to post. This is bad. 

This forum definitely needs new blood.  We have lost 20-40 odd  good posters who used to constructively discuss football since changing to Inside Sport - Thupercoach, Ton Of Bricks, Canehdrian, Eastern Glory, U4442282, Neanderthal, Cool Cat, Aussiesrus, etc, etc, appear to have left. They haven't been adequately  replaced in terms of quantity of quality.  

A few years back when there was a direct access from 442 articles, there was a peak. There was a constant influx of new members. Some ongoing animosities were minimised by posters encountering each other less often. The new blood often provides new perspectives - hence greater diversity in discussion.

I for one would support mods being harsher on behaviour deemed as bullying new members. An influx  of new posters, maybe more sensitive ones, would create  a bigger, better forum. I suppose with the advent  of the mute system it could minimise trollers' and bullies' influence for more sensitive members. 

In the weighting of argument by creating greater freedom of speech, as opposed to excessive intervention for aberrant behaviour, I'd suggest the latter course of action by mods in order to grow the forum.

The axiom of the forum in the rules is respond to the idea, not attack the person. In football parlance, play the ball not the man, if you will.

It must be a tough job moderating, but I'd prefer to see a heavier handed approach to induce new thinner - skinned/sensitive members' participation on the forum.

Thoughts? 
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Excessive use of the mute system would surely destroy any ongoing dialogue on the forum.

Every forum has people who lurk for a while before posting. Surely it's not up to mods to create a safe space so that favoured candidates can join the forum. I don't think any of the stuff that goes on here is excessively scary- apart from decentric's use of multis.

As for that list of posters who were supposed to be good  and have now departed...Aussiesrus wasn't even a "real" poster- he was only on the forum to promote something.

And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

localstar - 21 Mar 2017 2:56 PM

Excessive use of the mute system would surely destroy any ongoing dialogue on the forum.

Only mute those you don't want to have dialogue with,

1. saves getting tempted by their twattishness, and
2. cuts down the number of rude responses newbies end up trawling through

It improved my experience no end.

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Edited
7 Years Ago by View from the fence
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

View from the fence - 21 Mar 2017 3:20 PM

Only mute those you don't want to have dialogue with,

1. saves getting tempted by their twattishness, and
2. cuts down the number of rude responses newbies end up trawling through

It improved my experience no end.

Not sure what muting has to do with encouraging the growth of 442, but I agree with you totally about enjoying the forum through having the mute mechanism.

Of the umpteen thousand posters on 442, I only have 5 on the mute system. One has to the pretty obnoxious to get into my mute group. At any given time there would only be 3 of these 5 who are active as at least 2 would be banned.

I'd surmise that by us muting a few obnoxious posters, we'd lessen the acrimonious exchanges, which would hopefully encourage more timid prospective members to join.  Also, those obnoxious posters who are muted by a number of the forum, will surely tire of few, or even no responses, to their posts as people can't see them.

I think most reading this would agree we need more posters and new blood, not trolls, on the forum.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Decentric
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Agreed, it has all gone downhill since I became mod :lol:

Also, I contribute a lot of the forum issues to the lack of :lol: working
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

So the likes of decentric are going to decide who is "obnoxious", and then recommend that others mute them as well??

Yeah, that's pretty democratic isn't it?

I agree with pv4, they should bring back the emoticons like lol and wink etc. Without them, some people can't detect irony or jesting.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

pv4 - 21 Mar 2017 3:47 PM
Agreed, it has all gone downhill since I became mod :lol:

Also, I contribute a lot of the forum issues to the lack of :lol: working

Definitely. :lol:

Mods need to provide chaperoning to new members. :lol:
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

The problem with the mute system is you're not sure which of Decentric's dozens of multis are going to insult you next with weird and violent imagery. 

There is clear evidence in the multi speculation thread that Decentric is an unhinged lunatic masquerading as eastcoastphantom and BilBilson, amongst others, (footballking55, Brew etc etc) spewing vitriolic hate and homophobic slurs and yet he has the AUDACITY to act like other posters are toxic.

And just exactly what are the mods doing about that? Sweet fuck all.  

Their answer?  Lock down the thread so this nutcase can continue unabated.

He has form bullying other posters (IE. encouraging bans), PM's posters incessantly pleading with them to ignore other posters he disagrees with, eschews difficult questions with esoteric rhetorical cul-de-sacs, pollutes the forum with thousands of inane comments (not a crime but annoying) and then wonders why the forum is not chock a block full of quality conversation.

Not one dot of introspection.  Have you ever thought to yourself Decentric that you are part of the problem?

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Shame with only PV4, Told Ya So Timmy and I voicing opinions, we can't give a clear indication to the mods of whether they should be more rigorous or not with protecting newer, more timid posters if they join 442. 

Come on, give us your view.

Do some think we don't need the forum to grow at all? 
Edited
7 Years Ago by Decentric
localstar
localstar
Pro

Other opinions have been given, but decentric is too up himself to read them (lol)

A few people on here are obnoxious, but none so bad that I'd want to use the mute button. I don't think it is up to people like decentric, or the mods, to call for extensive mutings.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

localstar - 21 Mar 2017 7:40 PM
Other opinions have been given, but decentric is too up himself to read them (lol)

A few people on here are obnoxious, but none so bad that I'd want to use the mute button. I don't think it is up to people like decentric, or the mods, to call for extensive mutings.

He reads them.  Don't worry about that.  

Can't you see he is deliberately trolling you, myself and others.  He's read every post.  

He's trolling.

Ironic wouldn't you say?

Member since 2008.

localstar
localstar
Pro

Yes, I'm fully aware of that.

I guess decentric will just have to keep pretending to keep not reading the posts that he is reading! Because I doubt if many others will join in this thread anyway. How many people have ever responded to footballking55 and brew anyway? Bunchof hacks is possibly a new one he has got going as well.
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The only protected species in here is seemingly decentric..

Not sure why the ppl with the keys to this place tolerate and encourage the lunatic - I can only assume the mods enjoy his arselicking PM's. And, I would dare any moderator here to tell me they haven't received one such PM from decentric LOL.

In short, he remains your biggest obstacle to growth and engaging a wider and more educated football audience.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

I think you all need to grow up (which is ironic as most if not all of you are amongst the oldest in age on this forum)

If decentric posts something abusive, please report it. I personally haven't seen anything along those lines from him for a long time, I also don't read every post on the forum. Yes I'm aware of his history on another forum but I'm not going to ban him for that.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

Muz
Muz
Legend

mcjules - 21 Mar 2017 10:05 PM
I think you all need to grow up (which is ironic as most if not all of you are amongst the oldest in age on this forum)

If decentric posts something abusive, please report it. I personally haven't seen anything along those lines from him for a long time, I also don't read every post on the forum. Yes I'm aware of his history on another forum but I'm not going to ban him for that.

Righto McJules I'm officially reporting/complaining about Decentric and his sick multis eastcoastphantom and BilBilson and the harassment of myself and other posters.  The evidence is in the multi thread. 

What happens now?

Member since 2008.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 21 Mar 2017 10:20 PM

Righto McJules I'm officially reporting/complaining about Decentric and his sick multis eastcoastphantom and BilBilson and the harassment of myself and other posters.  The evidence is in the multi thread. 

What happens now?

I've had a look and have banned eastcoastphantom and BillBilson. It's highly unlikely that footballking55 or bunch of hacks are Decentric multis so please stop harassing them whenever they post.

In the future, use the report feature. Post reports are always looked at.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I think it is a shame that I've started a thread with the intent of trying to gain support for mods to enact heavier sanctions against some rugged individuals who may be the potential perpetrators of bullying behaviour against prospective new members. This is all with the intent of increasing forum participation  by inducing some 'less robust'  prospective members to join 442. It is likely it will increase diversity of thought and generate more threads and discussion topics. Surely this can only be a good thing?

Yet it appears that a few people whose posts I cannot see ( it must be four or less)  are trying to derail the thread with immaterial content. No wonder posters utilise the mute mechanism. Thanks for introducing it McJules.

It would be good to see more posts on  topic. 
Judy Free
Judy Free
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Mcjules, I've already reported to you an ugly and abusive PM from decentric.

There's no question of 'multis' - it was sent by "decentric".

What are you going to do about it?
Edited
7 Years Ago by Judy Free
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

munz you are clearly blocked from decentric so he cant see what you are writing.

i dont understand your issue with him. i agree with your posts and position on things more than just about anyone on here, but your decentric attacks are starting to seem unhinged.  i see more of you posts on that rather than anything else nowadays.

i think it might be better for regular contributors and mods to start calling out shit posting.  this might help police some of the crap a bit better.  there is definitely room for a bit of banter.  i think it\s healthy and makes the forum actually interesting instead of just the same old shit that you see in most forums.  i still think this forum is a lot more accessible for newbs than other forums which seem to rate up there with youtube comments in terms of quality.

as for traffic, i think being buried inside the inside sport forums which pretty much no one uses is harmful.  i also expect an increase in the build up to world cup.  also there are other forums. eg the melbourne city forum is fairly good and it's the reason why only a handful of city fans actually use this forum now.

Edited
7 Years Ago by inala brah
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Decentric - 21 Mar 2017 11:52 PM

I think it is a shame that I've started a thread with the intent of trying to gain support for mods to enact heavier sanctions against some rugged individuals who may be the potential perpetrators of bullying behaviour against prospective new members. This is all with the intent of increasing forum participation  by inducing some 'less robust'  prospective members to join 442. It is likely it will increase diversity of thought and generate more threads and discussion topics. Surely this can only be a good thing?

Yet it appears that a few people whose posts I cannot see ( it must be four or less)  are trying to derail the thread with immaterial content. No wonder posters utilise the mute mechanism. Thanks for introducing it McJules.

what kind of heavy handed approach are you advocating for?  it seems that the mods struggle to deal with shit as is.  in another thread ive complained about jsut shutting down threads because they dont like the content or a couple people are having a spat in it.  it's not a personal atttack on the mods - i get that it's probably a bit work intensive to deal with it any other way - but i think shutting threads all the time is shit.  especially when the real threads that need to be shut are left open.  like the 600 a day opened by ausfootballfan which cover nothing new or start threads just straight copying content he has replied to in another thread.  

Edited
7 Years Ago by inala brah
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

inala brah - 22 Mar 2017 7:04 AM

what kind of heavy handed approach are you advocating for?  it seems that the mods struggle to deal with shit as is.  in another thread ive complained about jsut shutting down threads because they dont like the content or a couple people are having a spat in it.  it's not a personal atttack on the mods - i get that it's probably a bit work intensive to deal with it any other way - but i think shutting threads all the time is shit.  especially when the real threads that need to be shut are left open.  like the 600 a day opened by ausfootballfan which cover nothing new or start threads just straight copying content he has replied to in another thread.  

The idea is to ascertain whether 442 members endorse the mods becoming heavier handed with trolls of  prospective new 'diffident' members in order to grow the forum membership and increase active participation. I've been around forums for 10 years and unless the membership steadily increases, forums die.

I'd be happy for mods to take a heavier handed approach in protecting new members from bullies and trolls in order to increase active participation. Whether others agree or not, is what I'd like to find out. I might be the only member who thinks this way, but this thread is designed to gauge members' opinions.

The mods claim they are often in a lose/lose scenario.

In the other thread you argued a cogent point about moderating. 

Unfortunately, there are quite a number of 442 lurkers who are too intimidated to post.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Decentric
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

I suppose multis could exploit a rule but if a poster has fewer than 200 posts perhaps a mod can give a warning to anyone who is a jerk to them

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 22 Mar 2017 8:25 AM
I suppose multis could exploit a rule but if a poster has fewer than 200 posts perhaps a mod can give a warning to anyone who is a jerk to them

Sounds like a reasonable idea.

If any mods are reading this, can this be implemented? 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

The posters you raised have been replaced by posters who are obsessed with being anti-ffa

personally I'm not for or against the ffa. Couldn't care less about them one way or another*. But it does make the forum seem monotonous and dull

*Of course if the ffa block a plausible proposal for a 2nd division my opinion might sour. Ironically that could be the best thing to happen to the forum :D

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 22 Mar 2017 8:29 AM
The posters you raised have been replaced by posters who are obsessed with being anti-ffa

Hadn't considered this, but it makes sense.
localstar
localstar
Pro

How does decentric know that the threads have "immaterial content" if he can't read them??

This is typical of the silly games he plays.

All posts on this thread are relevant to the discussion of the topic. By continuing to post whilst "not reading" them, he is deliberately obscuring the issue.

And, yes, I've received abusive PMs from decentric too. I'd like to report them too.. but whats the use, nothing will ever be done.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

inala brah - 22 Mar 2017 6:57 AM

munz you are clearly blocked from decentric so he cant see what you are writing.

i dont understand your issue with him. i agree with your posts and position on things more than just about anyone on here, but your decentric attacks are starting to seem unhinged.  i see more of you posts on that rather than anything else nowadays.

i think it might be better for regular contributors and mods to start calling out shit posting.  this might help police some of the crap a bit better.  there is definitely room for a bit of banter.  i think it\s healthy and makes the forum actually interesting instead of just the same old shit that you see in most forums.  i still think this forum is a lot more accessible for newbs than other forums which seem to rate up there with youtube comments in terms of quality.

as for traffic, i think being buried inside the inside sport forums which pretty much no one uses is harmful.  i also expect an increase in the build up to world cup.  also there are other forums. eg the melbourne city forum is fairly good and it's the reason why only a handful of city fans actually use this forum now.

The Melb City forum makes sense as to explaining  some 442 posters' disappearance.

There was also a great deal of animosity exuded towards City  at one stage on 442.

Do you think most of the City fans on that forum are aware of the 442 forum, IB?
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

My advice to everyone is if you have an issue with a user, take it to PM with them. 

If the PMs can't resolve your issue, mute them.

If the PMs become attack-based or violate rules etc, please report them via PM to a mod.

Please do not publicly post the content of a PM without getting the green light by the person PM-ing you. PMs are PRIVATE messages that don't belong in the public eye. Again, see the line above if things go to shit in your PMs. 

You all have Inala B to thank for his down to earth, common sense thoughts because I have learnt from this and have decided I am going to reopen the Multi Speculation thread. But if it goes to shit again, it's getting not only closed but deleted. That is your full-disclosure warning. 

I like to think I personally, and the mods, don't iron-hammer things too often and without decent enough reason. I am happy to learn and improve always though. 

Remember as always - any issues, please PM me or any other mod. Cheers.
Muz
Muz
Legend

localstar - 22 Mar 2017 9:08 AM

How does decentric know that the threads have "immaterial content" if he can't read them??

This is typical of the silly games he plays.

All posts on this thread are relevant to the discussion of the topic. By continuing to post whilst "not reading" them, he is deliberately obscuring the issue.

And, yes, I've received abusive PMs from decentric too. I'd like to report them too.. but whats the use, nothing will ever be done.

Ha, was just typing out almost the same response so I'll cut and paste it here.

For fucks sake Inala open your eyes. This sort of loaded post is proof he reads everything on here.  If we were actually muted, as he says, then how in God's name would he have a clue what any of the comments are?

As for his assertion that "there are quite a number of 442 lurkers that are too intimidated to post", how the hell would he know that? Next he'll be saying that dozens of new posters are PM'ing him saying they wish something were done about the trolls.

Have a look a my post history. Besides handing out, IMO, some frank opinions I'm not trolling any threads or anyone.

This whole exercise is designed to squash opposition to any of his pathetic ramblings because when the tough questions are asked he can't answer them.

He is a perfect example of the Dunning Krueger effect and a prime example of a bloke with all the gear and no idea.

PS I'll add my name to the list of abusive PM's from Decentric.  (For disclosure purposes I have never sent the him one in return.  My error was to try and help him out in the early days of the forum when notorganic used to troll him incessantly.)

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Muz
Muz
Legend

pv4 - 22 Mar 2017 9:29 AM
My advice to everyone is if you have an issue with a user, take it to PM with them. 

If the PMs can't resolve your issue, mute them.

If the PMs become attack-based or violate rules etc, please report them via PM to a mod.

Please do not publicly post the content of a PM without getting the green light by the person PM-ing you. PMs are PRIVATE messages that don't belong in the public eye. Again, see the line above if things go to shit in your PMs. 

You all have Inala B to thank for his down to earth, common sense thoughts because I have learnt from this and have decided I am going to reopen the Multi Speculation thread. But if it goes to shit again, it's getting not only closed but deleted. That is your full-disclosure warning. 

I like to think I personally, and the mods, don't iron-hammer things too often and without decent enough reason. I am happy to learn and improve always though. 

Remember as always - any issues, please PM me or any other mod. Cheers.

Good work.  Now if someone can answer my boolean search query I will prove that footballking55 is Decentric.  

Thanks

Member since 2008.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search