This AFL flog is at it again. Seriously can these journos leave our game alone!

This AFL flog is at it again. Seriously can these journos leave our...

Author
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
If you push to engage with the bogan mainstream then this is the consequence. 

Viennese Vuck

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
TheSelectFew - 24 Jun 2017 12:12 AM
paladisious - 23 Jun 2017 8:28 PM

Say the Vuck instead.

meme
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

paladisious - 23 Jun 2017 8:28 PM
Benjamin - 23 Jun 2017 10:46 AM

I've been answering "who do you barrack for?" with "Melbourne Victory" for years now, goes alright.

Say the Vuck instead.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

localstar - 22 Jun 2017 8:49 PM

You may have a big anticlimax waiting for you...  I've been here 17 years and I've never noticed any particular shock or dismay from the locals when I tell them I don't have any interest whatsoever in their local league.

I've been answering "who do you barrack for?" with "Melbourne Victory" for years now, goes alright.
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

pippinu - 23 Jun 2017 1:22 PM
localstar - 23 Jun 2017 12:05 PM

Yes, the original AFL.

It has a long and proud history, but was at its zenith in the 1970s when it claimed a solid 74 members.

Still, it was a significant gesture.

And had thousands of members I seem to recall.

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
BA81 - 23 Jun 2017 2:25 PM

And yet Keith Dunstan (RIP) was more of an Australian than you, Sam Newman & co. can ever be:exclamation:

You're probably right there, afterall, I am a wog who once attended Juventus games.

I can't speak on behalf of Sam Newman.

BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Yes, the original AFL.

It has a long and proud history, but was at its zenith in the 1970s when it claimed a solid 74 members.

And yet Keith Dunstan (RIP) was more of an Australian than you, Sam Newman & co. can ever be:exclamation:

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Isn't the Anti-Football League based in Melbourne?

Yes, the original AFL.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

robbos - 23 Jun 2017 11:27 AM

When I was last in Melbourne with an English friend (straight off the boat) for the OZ tennis open. My friend was told politely by a local that in England you call it football, but in Australia we call it Soccer, to which I replied, I'm Australian & I call it football & if looks could kill I wouldn't be posting this.

You should have told him that we call Tennis, "Racquet Hitty", to help distinguish it from Table Tennis.

Beaten by Eldar

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Isn't the Anti-Football League based in Melbourne?
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

robbos - 23 Jun 2017 11:27 AM

When I was last in Melbourne with an English friend (straight off the boat) for the OZ tennis open. My friend was told politely by a local that in England you call it football, but in Australia we call it Soccer, to which I replied, I'm Australian & I call it football & if looks could kill I wouldn't be posting this.

Well, it sounds like you told them!
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

You may have a big anticlimax waiting for you...  I've been here 17 years and I've never noticed any particular shock or dismay from the locals when I tell them I don't have any interest whatsoever in their local league.

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Yep.. I know heaps of people in Melbourne that couldn't give a stuff about AFL.

It's the papers and tv networks who have invested billions into the league that shove it down your throat.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

I would love to move to Melbourne- and get to tell the locals that I don't follow an ALF club, have no intention of ever following one, have never been to an ALF match, and have no intention of ever going to one. So there...!

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I would love to move to Melbourne- and get to tell the locals that I don't follow an ALF club, have no intention of ever following one, have never been to an ALF match, and have no intention of ever going to one. So there...!

Great post, Localstar!

Here the papers are filled with saturation  AFL.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Group: Awaiting Activation
tsf - 15 Jun 2017 1:27 PM
So because 150k went to two meaningless matches the game will never be popular?

I wonder what crowd two afl games in 3 days would get in brazil....

LOL!

Touche, TSF!
pippinu
pippinu
World Class

You have obviously given this a lot of thought.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

pippinu - 22 Jun 2017 2:26 PM
MarkfromCroydon - 22 Jun 2017 2:25 PM

One of the things which contributes to Melbourne being voted the World's most liveable city year after year.

Ah, the  most liveable city survey results! It makes me laugh when this is trotted out year after year and everyone here feels good about themselves. The interesting thing is which survey you use. The EIU survey is usually presented as the be all and end all here in Melbourne, as its that one that has had us on top for the past 7 years. It is the survey usually quoted by the papers here, but very rarely does anyone actually investigate what criteria are used and the weighting used. It actually has a little bit of relevance to the average joe, but was primarily devised for setting remuneration levels for high paid globally mobile executives. It measures the availability of things like private education, good quality housing, quality of telecommunications infrastructure etc. It does not measure the cost of these things. It does include some references to general health and education indicators. What it does not do, is measure the average quality of life of the average citizen, but that is exactly how most people in the general public understand it and think what it does.
The other often quoted survey (Mercer) was created for, and based on, the most liveable city for high paid executives (e.g. like $500k plus earners) so that you would know what salary and relocation expenses would need to be paid to attract those people to different locations. So the survey includes things like average rent for high end apartment in inner city location and cost of private school fees at a top private school. The survey doesn't actually measure the 'liveability' of the average citizens of each city, but which city is the best place for a highly paid executive to live in. Having said that, it also does have reasonable correlation with the 'average joe' with a good job and an average house with average type expenses. In all reality, the top 60 or so cities in any of these surveys are pretty much much of a muchness so to speak and of course you have good and bad parts of a city and if you live in a slum area of Melbourne you might actually dream of living in an average area of Adelaide or Munich or wherever. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
localstar
localstar
Pro

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Eldar - 22 Jun 2017 6:12 PM
City Sam - 22 Jun 2017 6:09 PM

Well, lets never forget that Pippinu never leaves his bedroom and there are reasons for that.

Because it unlocks from the outside and they can't hear his cries through the padding on the wall?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

pippinu - 22 Jun 2017 5:42 PM
paladisious - 22 Jun 2017 5:12 PM

I'm sure when they hand out awards, their gaze is drawn to a glorious football club more profitable than all but one Victorian VFL franchise.

Of course. The good people at The Economist wouldn't know what handegg is.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

City Sam - 22 Jun 2017 6:09 PM
Eldar - 22 Jun 2017 6:07 PM

Oh it'll definitely provoke a reaction but that is the point, you channel your inner Pippinu and watch carnage ensue. 

Well, lets never forget that Pippinu never leaves his bedroom and there are reasons for that.

Beaten by Eldar

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Eldar - 22 Jun 2017 6:07 PM
City Sam - 22 Jun 2017 6:02 PM

I think that could just provoke endless AFL discussion because they will be riled, If you are from Sydney just say Swans(no one follows GWS and if you say you do they might take you for some sort of AFL diehard) and if you are from Brisbane just say Brisbane( whatever you do don't say Fitzroy)

Oh it'll definitely provoke a reaction but that is the point, you channel your inner Pippinu and watch carnage ensue. 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Eldar - 22 Jun 2017 5:55 PM

Unless you decide you want to rile them up and say "sorry i don't follow a vfl team". 

I think that could just provoke endless AFL discussion because they will be riled, If you are from Sydney just say Swans(no one follows GWS and if you say you do they might take you for some sort of AFL diehard) and if you are from Brisbane just say Brisbane( whatever you do don't say Fitzroy)

Beaten by Eldar

And Everyone Blamed Clive
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Unless you decide you want to rile them up and say "sorry i don't follow a vfl team". 

Tell them you're from a long line of GWS fans

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

scubaroo - 22 Jun 2017 5:51 PM

Trust me, you wont even see the game and will have a great time. Just be prepared for "that" question, you don't need to offend them and you will all get on fine and most importantly not have to talk about AFL all night.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

scubaroo - 22 Jun 2017 5:51 PM
Eldar - 22 Jun 2017 5:46 PM

Haha i just won tickets in a box at an afl game this weekend... when they called to say id won and i needed to get together 7 other people i asked "is alcohol included" they luckily said yes... there was no fucking way i was going to go if booze wasn't included. 

Trust me, you wont even see the game and will have a great time. Just be prepared for "that" question, you don't need to offend them and you will all get on fine and most importantly not have to talk about AFL all night.

Beaten by Eldar

Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

pippinu - 22 Jun 2017 5:42 PM
paladisious - 22 Jun 2017 5:12 PM

I'm sure when they hand out awards, their gaze is drawn to a tiny football club.

tiny football club

>Melbourne Victory
>"tiny"

Image result for say what gif

lolz. 10/10 trolling.

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Eldar - 22 Jun 2017 5:46 PM
Last time I was in Melbourne, I jagged some tickets in the TAB corporate box for the boxing day test. To break the ice I was asked which football team I support, when I told them Sydney FC, there was just a brief mention of how Basketball failed because something something and then AFL wasn't mentioned again and we were able to get shitfaced on free booze like normal, civilized people.

Cool story.

Haha i just won tickets in a box at an afl game this weekend... when they called to say id won and i needed to get together 7 other people i asked "is alcohol included" they luckily said yes... there was no fucking way i was going to go if booze wasn't included. 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Last time I was in Melbourne, I jagged some tickets in the TAB corporate box for the boxing day test. To break the ice I was asked which football team I support, when I told them Sydney FC, there was just a brief mention of how Basketball failed because something something and then AFL wasn't mentioned again and we were able to get shitfaced on free booze like normal, civilized people.

Cool story.

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
7 Years Ago by Eldar
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search