Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2017/18

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2017/18

Author
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
http://forum.insidesport.com.au/2374147/AustralianFootballTVRatingsSeason201617
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thu TV Arsenal v Sydney FC 210k: Metro 160k (Syd 102k Mel 27k Bri 12k Ade 11k Per 8k) Regional 50k
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Will be good at the end of the season to see Ch10 ratings v SBS and put that argument to bed
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

I've been really heartened over the last week or so that some of my previous comments about what drives Rv viewership have been proven correct (at least anecdotally). I took the time to watch about 25 minutes each of some AFL matches and the quality of skill on display was abysmal. Players fumbled constantly, couldn't make passes under pressure and made lots of wrong decisions. The matches were Richmond-st kilda, Carlton-Melbourne. I couldn't believe these teams were in the top league. If I hadn't been told, and I thought there were lower divisions, I would've picked these as 3rd division matches. Now, the thing is, the commentators were quite effusive in praising the 'great skill' and 'quality' when someone did something reasonably o.k, and at work everyone I spoke to thought they were reasonable quality games, (in terms of overall skill level and level of play and intensity)and I learnt some of the teams are even going for the top 4. All of this simply shows me that you it's not the quality of the product, but how you talk it up that gets in people's heads. Therefore, if we can get the media to talk up the A league and say it's not far off the EPL or La Liga (or wherever), and we can get joe public to believe it (whether true or not), then we should see a real spike up in approval and Rv ratings. The key is hype and talking well about the league and it's world ranking. Let's see what happens.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 14 Jul 2017 6:29 PM
I've been really heartened over the last week or so that some of my previous comments about what drives Rv viewership have been proven correct (at least anecdotally). I took the time to watch about 25 minutes each of some AFL matches and the quality of skill on display was abysmal. Players fumbled constantly, couldn't make passes under pressure and made lots of wrong decisions. The matches were Richmond-st kilda, Carlton-Melbourne. I couldn't believe these teams were in the top league. If I hadn't been told, and I thought there were lower divisions, I would've picked these as 3rd division matches. Now, the thing is, the commentators were quite effusive in praising the 'great skill' and 'quality' when someone did something reasonably o.k, and at work everyone I spoke to thought they were reasonable quality games, (in terms of overall skill level and level of play and intensity)and I learnt some of the teams are even going for the top 4. All of this simply shows me that you it's not the quality of the product, but how you talk it up that gets in people's heads. Therefore, if we can get the media to talk up the A league and say it's not far off the EPL or La Liga (or wherever), and we can get joe public to believe it (whether true or not), then we should see a real spike up in approval and Rv ratings. The key is hype and talking well about the league and it's world ranking. Let's see what happens.

Thats an interesting observation .... where I work there is an AFL fan and came in on Monday claiming this guy from the Swans who could kick a ball with the outside of his foot and bend the ball... I mentioned Beckham and he said this guy would leave Beckham for dead...

It annoyed me and a mate sent me the following vid were someone has uploaded 10 great passers of the ball ... not the 10 best or placed in any order ... anyway Beckham is the first player in the vid and the second pass by Beckham defies whats possible so I showed the guy the Beckham pass ... he said it was good but he said lots of AFL players could do it...

They do talk themselves up... here is the link and this guy says there are a number of AFL players who could equal or better his second pass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjnmcmWjBU&t=132s

Edited
7 Years Ago by Midfielder
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

I guess comparatively for AFL it would be what they call great skill as it is the only sport on the planet which exists obviously. So the benchmark for great skill is matched against AFL alone, because technically they are one of the best in the sport. While with the football being nearly as good as the top leagues in the world there is enough evidence to dispute it. It probably would make a difference to the uninformed but they fall in a demographic who would never follow the sport regardless.
Edited
7 Years Ago by City Sam
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Therefore, if we can get the media to talk up the A league and say it's not far off the EPL or La Liga (or wherever), and we can get joe public to believe it (whether true or not), then we should see a real spike up in approval and Rv ratings

So why don't they do that for the VFL or SANFL?

The problem is you have taken the "everybody is stupid except for me" approach

The AFL skill level might be shit but it is the elite of its code. It is a clumsy game and tactically it has gone backwards but it has the best players and best resources available to any league in its code. Where the AFL really does talk itself up is comparatively. I can guarantee in every game this week if anybody kicks the ball off the ground you'll hear reference to the Arsenal game. The AFL talks up its relevance so that people know they aren't missing out by watching just the AFL. One idiom that has carried over from the last Olympics is often you hear about AFL players being on "world record pace"

This approach is not applicable for our game. We struggle both relatively (to other leagues) and comparatively (to other codes). The best we have to offer is that our teams take it in turns in winning titles. Success is something you see at the state level but it doesn't get people in droves to the local grounds when their team is on a winning streak. We simply have to offer a better product. Better players, better teams

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

City Sam - 14 Jul 2017 9:02 PM

I guess comparatively for AFL it would be what they call great skill as it is the only sport on the planet which exists obviously. So the benchmark for great skill is matched against AFL alone, because technically they are one of the best in the sport. While with the football being nearly as good as the top leagues in the world there is enough evidence to dispute it. It probably would make a difference to the uninformed but they fall in a demographic who would never follow the sport regardless.

This. In football it's quite obvious to see how good a league is as there are other leagues to compare to
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

bluebird - 15 Jul 2017 8:48 AM

The AFL talks up its relevance so that people know they aren't missing out by watching just the AFL. One idiom that has carried over from the last Olympics is often you hear about AFL players being on "world record pace"

Last years 7 promo ad where they constantly say """the Worlds gonna know you name""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIAOQ7AxeeM

Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Midfielder - 14 Jul 2017 8:15 PM

Thats an interesting observation .... where I work there is an AFL fan and came in on Monday claiming this guy from the Swans who could kick a ball with the outside of his foot and bend the ball... I mentioned Beckham and he said this guy would leave Beckham for dead...

It annoyed me and a mate sent me the following vid were someone has uploaded 10 great passers of the ball ... not the 10 best or placed in any order ... anyway Beckham is the first player in the vid and the second pass by Beckham defies whats possible so I showed the guy the Beckham pass ... he said it was good but he said lots of AFL players could do it...

They do talk themselves up... here is the link and this guy says there are a number of AFL players who could equal or better his second pass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjnmcmWjBU&t=132s

Heard mostly the exact thing too, except from the mouths of rugby (NRL) fans, saying that if people like Thurston, Hayne, and Inglis were playing sokkah then we'd be world beaters. Lolz.

Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

151,000 for last night.

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Didn't even know the Sydney game was on to be honest.
Went on Sportsbet last night to put a few bets on and realised that the Wanderers game was on, so I watched that.
Not a lot of promotion.
Oblivious Troll
Oblivious Troll
Rising Star
Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)

Now, the thing is, the commentators were quite effusive in praising the 'great skill' and 'quality' when someone did something reasonably o.k, and at work everyone I spoke to thought they were reasonable quality games, (in terms of overall skill level and level of play and intensity) and I learnt some of the teams are even going for the top 4. All of this simply shows me that you it's not the quality of the product, but how you talk it up that gets in people's heads.

The key is hype and talking well about the league and it's world ranking. Let's see what happens.

This has been going on for years. More than a decade ago when I followed RL, the ABC callers (and probably on the commercial stations too) used to keep an "error count" for both teams playing and the likes of Warren Ryan would constantly refer to it.  Likewise football commentators in A League/Australia int. games will frequently point out that a goal was  scored because of some failure by the defence and that if somehow they had done their job better no goal would have been scored.

However with the ALF commentators never seem to run out of superlatives. Players are always talked up when they reach a games played milestone no matter how pedestrian their career has in fact been been. One could go on but that would be as boring as the code is.

Its a game for everyone. Its not pale, male, or stale. It transcends race, gender, economic status. Its for everyone. - Tal Karp

stryker
stryker
Amateur
Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)Amateur (574 reputation)

Poor ratings for the arsenal game.  Where were all the Eurosnobs?
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

stryker - 17 Jul 2017 1:00 AM

151k isn't all that bad. Especially considering it was on Viceland.

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
stryker - 17 Jul 2017 1:00 AM

Probably at the game...
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Perth/Heidelberg post game rated 34 000 and came in at 20 on the night.

Beaten by Eldar

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Blacktown City V CCM 44 000 came in 9th.

Beaten by Eldar

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

FFA Cup ratings seem to be up
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Yeah it does.
From memory they used to get 25-30k in the early rounds.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Pretty close to SBS regular season games.
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro

Last Saturday's EPL game got 150k on SBS
(Syd 58k Mel 46k Bri 18k Ade 10k Per 19k)
https://twitter.com/MediaweekAUS/status/896526445270388736

Oblivious Troll
Oblivious Troll
Rising Star
Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)

The fragility of the business of sport was highlighted this week when Seven West Media’s chief executive, Tim Worner, said that the value of sports broadcasting rights had reached a tipping point.
While the revenue from those rights is a big determinant in the business health of the various sports, it’s not the only one. Just about every big sporting brand is facing a struggle for its future.

St Geraldine of Doogue talked to John Stensholt and Colin Smith about this  on ABC RN today.

Well worth a listen  even tho' it could have been given another 10 minutes... especially the points made on the A-League.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/saturdayextra/the-business-of-sport/8817088

Its a game for everyone. Its not pale, male, or stale. It transcends race, gender, economic status. Its for everyone. - Tal Karp

Edited
7 Years Ago by Oblivious Troll
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro

Oblivious Troll - 19 Aug 2017 11:08 PM
The fragility of the business of sport was highlighted this week when Seven West Media’s chief executive, Tim Worner, said that the value of sports broadcasting rights had reached a tipping point.
While the revenue from those rights is a big determinant in the business health of the various sports, it’s not the only one. Just about every big sporting brand is facing a struggle for its future.

St Geraldine of Doogue talked to John Stensholt and Colin Smith about this  on ABC RN today.

Well worth a listen  even tho' it could have been given another 10 minutes... especially the points made on the A-League.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/saturdayextra/the-business-of-sport/8817088

Thanks for posting that was worth the listen
lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Anyone have any ratings of the Huddersfield vs Southampton match on SBS? Just wondering if there was a spike.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

lebo_roo - 28 Aug 2017 10:51 PM
Anyone have any ratings of the Huddersfield vs Southampton match on SBS? Just wondering if there was a spike.

50k but it was on after midnight.

Beaten by Eldar

Multibet
Multibet
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/morning-report-august-30

Tuesday Live: Football: FFA Cup FOX SPORTS 505 47,000
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Multibet - 31 Aug 2017 8:05 AM
http://www.mediaweek.com.au/morning-report-august-30

Tuesday Live: Football: FFA Cup FOX SPORTS 505 47,000

Impressive. Would have been  a few streaming games on Fox as well.

Beaten by Eldar

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Eldar - 31 Aug 2017 9:58 AM
Multibet - 31 Aug 2017 8:05 AM

Impressive. Would have been  a few streaming games on Fox as well.

Get the fuck in! I stream the games and there would have been thousands doing so. Foxtel Now provides more than ordinary Foxtel.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Peppa Pig only managed 39 000

Beaten by Eldar

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search