Who will miss out?

Who will miss out?

Author
Tom Rogics Foot
Amateur
Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
With the WC coming up and a new coach, I am just wondering which of the socceroos mainstays or regulars will get snubbed??

Personally, I am not so sure about Milligan or Sains, a lot of people have Sainsbury as their first choice CB ( I do too, back 4 of Wright, Sains, Wilko and Behich is my pick, if you were wondering) , there's no doubting his talent, but will Van Marwijk care? or will he just see his shockingly poor minutes at club level... in China??  
personally I think Bert would be more inclined to start with a clean slate and pick players based on merit, rather than past roos performances, if you had next to no idea about Australian football and seen a talented player basically rotting in china or all places, and seen players who may not be as good, but are playing 90 or so minutes every week at a decent level (Wright, Dougall etc) who would you pick?
I know a lot of you wont want to hear this, but I am just being realistic.
who else would be a big name who could possibly miss the WC?? I had initial fears about timmy when he was clubless for a while, but now he's signed for Milwall he should be a lock in..

I don't think Spira will even get near the final squad which is a shame... what a wasted career and talent.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Brad Smith
Tom Rogics Foot
Tom Rogics Foot
Amateur
Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)

scott21 - 14 Feb 2018 7:52 PM
Brad Smith

oh, sorry, I meant somewhat decent players ;)
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Luongo is 60/40 I think. Whether Bert likes his style or not.
Redcarded
Redcarded
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Bvm will have researched our players for sa, and seen in the wc qualifiers, and know that sainsbury is our best defender.
Milligan seems to have declined a bit so could be at risk.
Troisi as well
Cahill. Although iconic here for bvm he might just see a 38 year old playing in millwall reserves

Tom Rogics Foot
Tom Rogics Foot
Amateur

Redcarded - 14 Feb 2018 7:57 PM
Bvm will have researched our players for sa, and seen in the wc qualifiers, and know that sainsbury is our best defender.
Milligan seems to have declined a bit so could be at risk.
Troisi as well
Cahill. Although iconic here for bvm he might just see a 38 year old playing in millwall reserves

I don't know what happened to both Millsy and Troisi this year... like declined badly

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Pretty much identical discussion going on in the national team thread.

To the original post, I worry that van Marwijk won't care about Sainsbury and his talent and may hate Luongo's style. As a fan I have players I like and I'd hate to see them miss out. Rogic, Sainsbury and Luongo are some of my favourites and they generally perform well. I'd hate them to miss out for different reasons. 
Tom Rogics Foot
Tom Rogics Foot
Amateur

johnszasz - 14 Feb 2018 8:37 PM
Pretty much identical discussion going on in the national team thread.

To the original post, I worry that van Marwijk won't care about Sainsbury and his talent and may hate Luongo's style. As a fan I have players I like and I'd hate to see them miss out. Rogic, Sainsbury and Luongo are some of my favourites and they generally perform well. I'd hate them to miss out for different reasons. 

I'm both nervous and excited to see who he will pick tbh, even if players like sainsbury and co miss out, we could unearth a rough diamond like Dougall, Susnjar or whoever else
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Graham Arnold is going to be part of the coaching set-up. I wonder, to what extent, that will influence selections.

I'm hoping a reasonable bit.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

smith, sainsbury, spiro, langerak.

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Ahhh Langerak. So much promise and his season at Stuttgart was great. Let's hope he really goes well in Japan. 
phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Milligan, Sains are safe as houses as long as playing. MV nowhere near as good with Antonis and with CL for Milligan he'll be there for sure. If Jedi keeps performing he'll be fine too. I think he's BVM's type of player

Smith gone, Troisi at risk. Langerak maybe makes way for Jones.
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

quickflick - 14 Feb 2018 9:24 PM
Graham Arnold is going to be part of the coaching set-up. I wonder, to what extent, that will influence selections.

I'm hoping a reasonable bit.

This would truly be scary, other than (maybe) Wilko getting a look in.
Neanderthal
Neanderthal
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

personally I think Bert would be more inclined to start with a clean slate and pick players based on merit, rather than past roos performances, if you had next to no idea about Australian football and seen a talented player basically rotting in china or all places, and seen players who may not be as good, but are playing 90 or so minutes every week at a decent level (Wright, Dougall etc) who would you pick?
I know a lot of you wont want to hear this, but I am just being realistic.

Couldn’t agree less.

It’s Bert Van Marjwik. Not some forum keyboard warrior.

Merit does not mean what league you’re playing in. Any decent coach will evaluate a player for themselves based on footage. Especially footage with the NT.
Not just look at which league they’re in like most overly opinionated 14 year olds on this forum do.

Players who’ve done well previously for the Roos but struggling at club level will have a much better shot than players not impressing at higher levels. Sainsbury is easily safe.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search