Alexander Meier to wsw

Alexander Meier to wsw

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
is the rumored signing for this weekend 
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

36 is old but wow what a pedigree 

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

vincenzogold - 19 Sep 2019 10:13 AM
36 is old but wow what a pedigree 

I watched Macaroni for a season and it was clear his class was still there and he played virtually every minute of every game. Playing in a better side he would have got 15-20 goals easily so this fella should go okay providing he’s not carrying injuries. And of course Wanderers have got the other ten players right. 

#Blessed
#Blessed
Super Fan
Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)Super Fan (168 reputation)

Played in 2 matches last season, 1 match the previous season.

ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

#Blessed - 19 Sep 2019 12:50 PM
Played in 2 matches last season, 1 match the previous season.

Wiki is not up to date. Transfermarkt has 16 games for 6 goals last season. He's old, but hopefully still has the knack.

Apparently Daily Telegraph has it as a done deal, but story is behind a paywall. 

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Western Sydney fill vacant striker role with veteran Bundesliga star Alexander Meier

A former Bundesliga top-scorer is Markus Babbel’s answer to his striker problem, with Alexander Meier set to join Western Sydney this week.

News Corp Australia understands the 36-year-old Eintracht Frankfurt legend is the unnamed European free agent coyly mentioned by Babbel during the Wanderers’ 3-0 FFA Cup quarter-final loss to Melbourne City on Wednesday night.

Babbel has been on the hunt for a new forward, a search that was cold as recently as last weekend and compounded by the continued absence of Mitchell Duke – though the skipper is expected to be fit for the start of the A-League season.

But he confirmed on Wednesday the Wanderers had filled the visa position, and that the mystery man would arrive in Australia on Saturday.

“We were talking on Monday with him, on Tuesday we signed the contract and on Friday he’s on the plane,” Babbel said.

“So I was talking to him - he comes for the right reasons and I’m very happy that he decided to come to us and I hope he can help us.”

Meier scored 137 goals from a total 379 appearances with Eintracht over 14 years, including 93 Bundesliga goals.

In 2014-15 he finished as the Bundesliga’s top-scorer despite missing the last seven games to have knee surgery, his 19 goals from 26 outings bettering Bayern Munich pair Arjen Robben and Robert Lewandowski.

The Harburg product was also out for most of the 2017-18 season with an ankle injury and his contract subsequently not renewed.

But Meier left the club as a talisman before returning to his first professional side FC St. Pauli until July this year.

Recently he was quoted as saying he would play on if “something interesting” popped up.

Compatriot Babbel would have crossed paths with Meier during his years managing VfB Stuttgart, Hertha Berlin and Hoffenheim.

“I was looking for a player who is different to what we have and also to come with the right reasons,” he said.

“Because this is the biggest problem - of course, Sydney’s a beautiful city ... but this is not the reason to come, to come is to have success with Western Sydney Wanderers and I’m very happy that we could wait so long to find him.”

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Played 16 times last season, 975 minutes for 6 goals. If he can stay fit it looks a decent signing

ARNIE= LEGEND

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Bloody hell. His presence alone is going to be massive. The body isn't holding up particularly well but hopefully one final burst is possible. 
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

johnszasz - 19 Sep 2019 5:17 PM
Bloody hell. His presence alone is going to be massive. The body isn't holding up particularly well but hopefully one final burst is possible. 

@John
So, in your opinion, who is best German in the A-league out of Meier (assuming he has signed), Hoogland or Baumjohann?
How does Meier compare to Toivenen?
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Paul01 - 19 Sep 2019 7:51 PM
johnszasz - 19 Sep 2019 5:17 PM

@John
So, in your opinion, who is best German in the A-league out of Meier (assuming he has signed), Hoogland or Baumjohann?
How does Meier compare to Toivenen?

Meier is a bit hard to gauge as he's not played as much consistently for a while. Meier has reached as many heights as Toivenen. 

Success and status wise Meier is by far the biggest. Absolute cult over here. Hoogland will be a solid addition. 
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

johnszasz - 19 Sep 2019 8:41 PM
Paul01 - 19 Sep 2019 7:51 PM

Meier is a bit hard to gauge as he's not played as much consistently for a while. Meier has reached as many heights as Toivenen. 

Success and status wise Meier is by far the biggest. Absolute cult over here. Hoogland will be a solid addition. 

Thanks.
So Schwegler and Meier to partner again it would seem.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Paul01 - 19 Sep 2019 8:49 PM
johnszasz - 19 Sep 2019 8:41 PM

Thanks.
So Schwegler and Meier to partner again it would seem.

Perhaps. Schwegler is a deep defensive midfielder while Meier is more up top these days. 
Paul01
Paul01
Pro

johnszasz - 19 Sep 2019 9:36 PM
Paul01 - 19 Sep 2019 8:49 PM

Perhaps. Schwegler is a deep defensive midfielder while Meier is more up top these days. 

I watched Schwegler thread the needle live at Campbelltown. Certainly was a sight to behold.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro

Mentioned hes the second marquee. Whos the first?

ARNIE= LEGEND

Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Will some of his wages be subsidised by the old age pension?
Paul01
Paul01
Pro

RedKat - 20 Sep 2019 9:10 AM
Mentioned hes the second marquee. Whos the first?

Probably Schwegler 
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

A 36 year old guy that's played 3 games in 2 years? 

Was he injured or fit but not selected. Massive difference as to what impact he'll likely have here. 
MTT82
MTT82
Under 7s
Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)Under 7s (22 reputation)

kaufusi - 20 Sep 2019 11:48 AM
A 36 year old guy that's played 3 games in 2 years? 

Was he injured or fit but not selected. Massive difference as to what impact he'll likely have here. 

It was literally pointed out in the comments above that he scored six goals in 16 games for St Pauli last season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/alexander-meier/leistungsdaten/spieler/1565/plus/0?saison=2018

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

The transition from a gay friendly club to one known for its rampant homophobia may be tough but I think he'll do alright on the pitch.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

MTT82 - 20 Sep 2019 12:23 PM
kaufusi - 20 Sep 2019 11:48 AM

It was literally pointed out in the comments above that he scored six goals in 16 games for St Pauli last season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/alexander-meier/leistungsdaten/spieler/1565/plus/0?saison=2018

My bad, another article had mentioned those stats. I guess they had their stats wrong. 
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

A 36 year old marquee?  Really?

Let's hope Babel pulls it together because the League needs a strong WSW.  But I have to say, I'm far from convinced that he will.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Reaction over here seeing a lot of Germans defending the A League as its given them Leckie, Langerak, Kruse and Borrello.

Too many idiots online who can't gauge the current situation. He's 36 and mentally tough. Let's hope the body holds up. 
Paul01
Paul01
Pro

johnszasz - 20 Sep 2019 6:29 PM
Reaction over here seeing a lot of Germans defending the A League as its given them Leckie, Langerak, Kruse and Borrello.

Too many idiots online who can't gauge the current situation. He's 36 and mentally tough. Let's hope the body holds up. 

@John
Would that be the first time that we have had support in Germany for the A-league?

I just looked at an article in Kicker which, of course I had to translate, which referred to Meier, Schwegler (including being reunited), Babbel and the expectations for the upcoming season.
It would appear Babbel says more to the German press than the Australian media.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Paul01 - 21 Sep 2019 7:12 AM

@John
Would that be the first time that we have had support in Germany for the A-league?

I just looked at an article in Kicker which, of course I had to translate, which referred to Meier, Schwegler (including being reunited), Babbel and the expectations for the upcoming season.

There's a lot of German curiosity about the A League. Broich essentially put it on the map. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@John

Jesus H Christ!! 

You live in Sydney or Melbourne don’t you!?!?!

Broich certainly put the A League on the map with German language FB pages and we even had German supporters coming over to watch the fella play and hopefully meet him. He still actively talks about the A League while working in Germany and was even featured in a news article recently. 

But it didn’t happen in Melbourne or Sydney do it doesn’t count right ?? 

You should maybe also watch the cult film ‘Tom meets Zizou’ 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Waz
Paul01
Paul01
Pro

It's probably because I started following the Wanderers (and the A-league) properly after attending the ACL final at the old Parramatta stadium so I wa unaware of the impact of Broich. 
With a visit to my son's grassroots club by two Smurfs players, I had definitely made up my mind a few years before the ACL game NOT to follow the Smurfs. Plus because I was involved in my sons team as Manager and coach in a a Western Sydney association I was involved in the early surveys for team name, colours etc 
 When I was a teenager, too many years ago now I followed Marconi in their journey from NSW State League to NSL but lost interest in the early 80's.

I can see you've been following the Roar so Broich would be a player that you've followed.

For us at the Wanderers, we are obviously very to have former BL players who actually give a damn. And that the Germany is showing interest in the A-league (again for you). 
I am hoping that these guys take guys like  Mohamed Adam under their wing.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paul01
jeggohouse
jeggohouse
Rising Star
Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)

Waz - 22 Sep 2019 6:24 AM

Jesus H Christ!! 

You live in Sydney or Melbourne don’t you!?!?!

Broich certainly put the A League on the map with German language FB pages and we even had German supporters coming over to watch the fella play and hopefully meet him. He still actively talks about the A League while working in Germany and was even featured in a news article recently. 

But it didn’t happen in Melbourne or Sydney do it doesn’t count right ?? 

You should maybe also watch the cult film ‘Tom meets Zizou’ 

Great film. Well worth a watch!
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

@John

Eintracht Braunschweig fans comment on every AU social media post that is about Mirko Boland as he is a club legend for them.

There was also heaps of Turks commenting on AU social media posts when we signed Gulum as well.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search