Ongoing Aus Test captaincy discussion

Ongoing Aus Test captaincy discussion

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Tim Paine has recently said he has been proffered many opinions on when he should retire. He says he isn't going anytime soon.

On cricket forums, some former captains and media pundits, Steve Smith is constantly touted as next captain. Outside   cricket in the milieu I associate in, Smith is universally condemned as a cheat. For many of the public outside sporting circles, his appointment would  bring the game of Test cricket into disrepute.

The other mooted option in the media , Pat Cummins, may have the requisite leadership  of player management   skills, but has virtually no captaincy experience. In addition, Cummins has the onerous fast bowlers' workload.

The most established batters, including spin bowlers, who are probably best suited to the captaincy position, are Lyon, Head and Labu.

I'm  firmly in the camp that Smith and Warner should never captain Australia again. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 6 Mar 2020 8:28 AM
Tim Paine has recently said he has been proffered many opinions on when he should retire. He says he isn't going anytime soon.

On cricket forums, some former captains and media pundits, Steve Smith is constantly touted as next captain. Outside   cricket in the milieu I associate in, Smith is universally condemned as a cheat. For many of the public outside sporting circles, his appointment would  bring the game of Test cricket into disrepute.

The other mooted option in the media , Pat Cummins, may have the requisite leadership  of player management   skills, but has virtually no captaincy experience. In addition, Cummins has the onerous fast bowlers' workload.

The most established batters, including spin bowlers, who are probably best suited to the captaincy position, are Lyon, Head and Labu.

I'm  firmly in the camp that Smith and Warner should never captain Australia again. 

The first criteria for captain has to be honesty and integrity. Smith and Warner have both trashed theirs. So I totally agree DC neither shud  ever hold the national reins again. An important asset for captain is knowing you will be picked in the next Test match. Some names being tossed around by so called experts have not cemented themselves in our top side. Head is one and as terrific a last 9 months that Labuchagne has had.. is he a laydown misere  to be picked next year. He may well have a poor run and lose form completely. Do we need the leader of our pace attack to be captain? CA may not have much choice. I see Alex Carey as captain material.. but taking on dual roles is a huge ask. Paine has done it admirably.. but can Carey?
Edited
4 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 7 Mar 2020 11:58 AM

The first criteria for captain has to be honesty and integrity. Smith and Warner have both trashed theirs. So I totally agree DC neither shud  ever hold the national reins again. 

I'm with you, Baggers.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

CA may not have much choice. I see Alex Carey as captain material.. but taking on dual roles is a huge ask. Paine has done it admirably.. but can Carey?

I've  heard recently that Carey is getting close to 30 and is  a bit old. So selectors are looking at Sandgroper, Inglis. He is in in his early 20s so he might be around for a lot longer than Carey. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Keyboard Warrior - 8 Mar 2020 9:48 AM

I've  heard recently that Carey is getting close to 30 and is  a bit old. So selectors are looking at Sandgroper, Inglis. He is in in his early 20s so he might be around for a lot longer than Carey. 

He has just turned 28.. so not ancient yet. From memory Gilly was a similar age when he took the national gloves as was Haddin. I  expect Carey to be handed the gloves when Paine calls it quits at the end of the WTC next year.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search