BDP

Author
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
hounddog - 22 Apr 2021 9:48 PM
ODF - 22 Apr 2021 9:42 PM

They are a good footy side and mostly home grown players.

I would be happy if our side put in 75% of the effort they do.

Line speed for 80 mins with good execution and variety in attack, that is the forumla. 

We could do worse than model our game on theirs.

They actually set  a scrum with all forwards in the pack, pushed, put on a move and scored.
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Near your own line, 6 again  on the first. Is this an advantage over a penalty, distance  gained, then six tackles. Option taken from the non offending  team.
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Mooloolabadog - 23 Apr 2021 12:00 AM
Near your own line, 6 again  on the first. Is this an advantage over a penalty, distance  gained, then six tackles. Option taken from the non offending  team.

No, and defending teams are abusing this early in the count because they’re happy to give an extra tackle or even two to set their line against fast breaks.

I reckon they went too far with 6 again on offside and it should be a penalty and said it the other day, but since then I’ve heard two better ideas to tweak the 6 again rule -

6 again, for anything, only applies in the opposition half, in your own half you always get the penalty.

Or, maybe even and

Tackles one and two, for anything, it’s always a penalty.

I like the six again rule, but’s it’s tactically abused, and it needs tweaking.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Zef
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Unfortunately zef there are some very smart coaches out there that will always find a way to take advantage of a rule change.
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro

Another 6 again that happened  earlier  in the year. Team attacking  near the posts, 2 points behind, 6 again, half time. 6 again useless, advantage offending team, 2 points denied. Maybe just call advantage, play out the 6, then revert to the penalty.
Steveswr33333
Steveswr33333
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

ODF - 22 Apr 2021 9:42 PM

They are a good footy side and mostly home grown players.

I would be happy if our side put in 75% of the effort they do.

Line speed for 80 mins with good execution and variety in attack, that is the forumla. 

We could do worse than model our game on theirs.

Think back to the Panthers game....past 30 minute mark and we were only behind 4 nil....then we "scored" a ry subsequently disallowed after 45 reviews and even then it could be said we were robbed...in the interim..."what has happened?"......
dman2018
dman2018
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Mooloolabadog - 23 Apr 2021 9:49 AM
Another 6 again that happened  earlier  in the year. Team attacking  near the posts, 2 points behind, 6 again, half time. 6 again useless, advantage offending team, 2 points denied. Maybe just call advantage, play out the 6, then revert to the penalty.

What’s the betting this happens in a finals game seconds before full time...
Reverting to the penalty is a bit rugby yawnion like (I think) but probably the way to go... but then they’ll need rules around what constitutes an advantage or else it’s at refs discretion, and we all know how that plays out...

Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 6:49 AM

No, and defending teams are abusing this early in the count because they’re happy to give an extra tackle or even two to set their line against fast breaks.

I reckon they went too far with 6 again on offside and it should be a penalty and said it the other day, but since then I’ve heard two better ideas to tweak the 6 again rule -

6 again, for anything, only applies in the opposition half, in your own half you always get the penalty.

Or, maybe even and

I like the opposition half theory.
Easy enough to police and gives some benefit back to the ball carrying team.

Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)World Class (7.9K reputation)

Marki - 23 Apr 2021 2:03 PM

Otherwise, we can piss the rule off entirely and go back to what we had....

It wasnt broke so why try to fix it?
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

ODF - 23 Apr 2021 7:25 AM
Unfortunately zef there are some very smart coaches out there that will always find a way to take advantage of a rule change.

This 100%. 

I would be more than happy to simplify the rules and return to what they were in the past without 40/20’s, six agains etc. Good coaches exploit the rules, this will never change. Better coaches find ways to overcome that exploitation by changing their game plan. 

The game needs to stop reacting and just let the coaches coach

hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Steveswr33333 - 23 Apr 2021 9:59 AM

Think back to the Panthers game....past 30 minute mark and we were only behind 4 nil....then we "scored" a ry subsequently disallowed after 45 reviews and even then it could be said we were robbed...in the interim..."what has happened?"......

Our performances against the Panthers, Souths and the Storm had some merit because they are good teams, we played well in patches, for no reward.

Over the course of the season if teams were of equal ability luck and decisions should even out.

Our problems are not caused by the rules, the refs or the opposition, the ball is in our court.

More than anytime in the last 20 years, the rules currently ensure that the better team wins and entertaining attacking footy can be played.

Our problem is that we are not one of the better teams, we need to improve all areas of our game, effort, decision making, fitness and execution.

I am not going to whinge about the Panthers playing great footy, any more than I whinged about Liverpool playing great soccer last year, or the West Indies playing great cricket when Clive Lloyd was captain.

What I don't like is creating, including salary cap cheating, media wanking and agendas, the wrestle and grubby or dangerous play.

I never respected the Storm becuase Slater was a cheating grub, Cam Smith was a cheating whinger and the wrestle was dangerous grubby cheating that was totally unsportsmanlike.

This version of the Storm without Slater, Smith and with a lot less wrestle, I'm starting to respect.

I'll never respect the Roosters or The Broncos, but the executive summary on that is 10,000 words.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 23 Apr 2021 2:54 PM
ODF - 23 Apr 2021 7:25 AM

This 100%. 

I would be more than happy to simplify the rules and return to what they were in the past without 40/20’s, six agains etc. Good coaches exploit the rules, this will never change. Better coaches find ways to overcome that exploitation by changing their game plan. 

The game needs to stop reacting and just let the coaches coach

The better team will win the ruck, and both sides will try to cheat in the ruck.

If the refs step back and let the coaches coach, every play the ball will take 5 minutes and end in an all in brawl.

It is an arms race, but a the moment the refs have guided misslies, and the coaches have bows and arrows.
When the coaches lack firepower we get some sport played.

Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

So who said we could never agree on anything. I agree too. I think it’s the best of all options for the rule, including the current one.

Maintains the intent, keeps the deterrent, eliminates the abuse.

I’m gonna give you a like.

Mark this day.
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

I don't know hd. Having the ref orchestrate long periods where one team has a monopoly on the football and the other tackle themselves to a standstill cant be classified as entertaining attacking football. Absolute borefest if you ask me. Just let the teams play it out without unnecessary interference, because we all know the cream will rise to the top.
Mooloolabadog
Mooloolabadog
Pro

ODF - 23 Apr 2021 5:41 PM
I don't know hd. Having the ref orchestrate long periods where one team has a monopoly on the football and the other tackle themselves to a standstill cant be classified as entertaining attacking football. Absolute borefest if you ask me. Just let the teams play it out without unnecessary interference, because we all know the cream will rise to the top.

Cream will rise to the top and turds float
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

ODF - 23 Apr 2021 5:41 PM

The refs need to play a role, teams will cheat at the ruck.

Ruck decisions can be arbitrary there are multiple reasons for a 6 again.

I think we were dudded round v Newcastle, but crowds influencing refs is nothing new.

That was probably the closest a ref  came to changing a game. But with the same ref calls, the Panthers, Storm,  Roosters and Rabbits probably still win.

Playing well enough to take the ref out of the equation is the best fix.
I first watched league on TV in 1973, back then people were complaining about the refs and the rules.
When I watch some of those old games now, the standard of play is much worse, the ball has a lot to do with that. Games were often slow and mistake riddled, especially on muddy grounds.

The game has to move with the times and be entertaining for young fans, No point in keeping us old dinasours happy if the game dies with us.
Edited
3 Years Ago by hounddog
Villi
Villi
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

DWZ out tomorrow 

Newsreader in
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Villi - 23 Apr 2021 6:11 PM
DWZ out tomorrow 

Newsreader in

Will he have time to read the news before the game?

I want an update on Dman, Covid and airports.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Or, maybe even and

I don't mind that suggestion.

We will know the rules are right when teams find it hard to cheat and refs find it easier to be consistent.
We have to clean up the ruck, otherwise the refs can't be consistent, because if they ignore the ruck, they may as well stay in the the sheds. 

Marki
Marki
World Class

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 5:39 PM

So who said we could never agree on anything. I agree too. I think it’s the best of all options for the rule, including the current one.

Mark this day.

You've changed.....

What have done to the REAL Zef?
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Baa presenting the teeshirt to the Dogs supporter having an 100th birthday was great.
Let's have a win to make the birthday more special.
Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 23 Apr 2021 6:28 PM
Baa presenting the teeshirt to the Dogs supporter having an 100th birthday was great.
Let's have a win to make the birthday more special.

Cool.
Cant wait to turn 100 and have Baa give me a t shirt too....

He might have to be 120 tho...
Marki
Marki
World Class

Let me go on record and say that I will be mightily pissed off with the game if Burton reneges on his deal but we also miss out on having a crack at Adam Reynolds.

If there are agitating factors about him staying in Penrith as a centre, let them come out now while we still have a chance with Reynolds - not after.

I dont particularly want to lose out on Burton, but I must say, it was announced so early that I feel him having second thoughts or cold feet was always going to happen.

We haven't exactly made him feel like he made a good decision.....
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 23 Apr 2021 6:45 PM
Let me go on record and say that I will be mightily pissed off with the game if Burton reneges on his deal but we also miss out on having a crack at Adam Reynolds.

If there are agitating factors about him staying in Penrith as a centre, let them come out now while we still have a chance with Reynolds - not after.

I dont particularly want to lose out on Burton, but I must say, it was announced so early that I feel him having second thoughts or cold feet was always going to happen.

As far as I know Burton wants to play in the halves, I'll heard nothing about him staying at Penrith.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 23 Apr 2021 6:36 PM
hounddog - 23 Apr 2021 6:28 PM

Cool.
Cant wait to turn 100 and have Baa give me a t shirt too....

He might have to be 120 tho...

Tols has volunteered to do your 100th.

dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Only the club can allow that, not ‘the game’...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

Zef - 23 Apr 2021 5:39 PM

Mark this day.

You guys just broke the internet...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

hounddog - 23 Apr 2021 7:15 PM
Marki - 23 Apr 2021 6:36 PM

Tols has volunteered to do your 100th.

I’d pay to watch that...
dman2018
dman2018
Legend

If Burton doesn’t want to come here cos we’ve not created a safe space m, why would Reynolds want to join???...
Zef
Zef
Pro

Benji’s in as good a form as he’s ever been, but does anybody know what position he actually plays? Reynolds is on the field, so is Walker, so is Murray, so what position does Benji actually play?

Has old man Benny invented a new one?

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search