FFA CEO actually defends football community

FFA CEO actually defends football community

Author
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
'Doesn’t like our code' - Football Australia CEO James Johnson hits back at Ray Hadley over ethnicity debate

Football Australia CEO James Johnson has hit back at radio host Ray Hadley after a debate earlier in the week about supposed ethnic tensions in Australian football.

Following a fan brawl on Sunday during an NPL match between Rockdale and Sydney United, Hadley suggested the fight was sparked by the different racial backgrounds of the clubs.

Johnson was quick to reject those claims at the time and has once again looked to stress the incident wasn't caused by ethnicity but rather poor behaviour from select individuals.

"Earlier this week I had a debate with Ray Hadley about that. His view was the incident last Sunday was racially motivated and or related to ethnicity, that because the NCIP had been repealed that this was the cause of the incident. We just don’t agree with that," Johnson told 2CC on Friday.

"Our point was rather about behaviour and in our view it is the behaviour that is the problem, not the NCIP, not the crowd history of football clubs in Australia, not the names of the clubs, it is the behaviour of the people implicated. In our game we accept all people because we are inclusive but we do not accept all behaviours.

"Ray looks at this as a problem with ethnic tension, we look at it as a problem with unacceptable behaviour.

"I think we need to prosecute these types of matters based on facts and not emotion or misinformation. And the facts are you’ve got the NSW Police that have ruled that there are no racial or ethnic motivations in regards to the violence.

"Rockdale, the club, it does have Macedonian roots, but it has many Australians that share different heritages both in its senior team, youth teams and grassroots teams. And importantly, there are no ethnic tensions between Macedonia and Croatia, these are facts.

"On this occasion it is right to separate race and ethnicity from behaviour and we must now take decisive and strong action based on those behaviours. We must weed out those unacceptable behaviours and people, not weed out our history and multicultural nature of our sport."

Johnson believes Hadley's attempt to blame ethnicity came down to differing perspectives which could explain why someone like the radio host might not like the round ball game.

"I think it goes deeper than football and this is purely my view, but what we’re really talking about in my view is the Australian identity," Johnson said.

"This is where I think we have a fundamental difference of some people’s views and that’s why someone like Ray doesn’t like our code.

"My point is Australia has a proud history and in 2021 what makes me feel good about being Australian is that we are very multicultural. And this is what is great about our code is we are very multicultural as well."

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/football/news/doesnt-like-our-code-football-australia-ceo-james-johnson-hits-back-at-ray-hadley-over-ethnicity-debate/1hdjalc99mb8w1dy1upfahzuia

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Is Sporting News a main source of news read by millions? Unfortunately that message will go nowhere if it’s not.

In a resort somewhere

Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

paulc - 1 May 2021 10:42 AM
Is Sporting News a main source of news read by millions? Unfortunately that message will go nowhere if it’s not.

Agree.

Given that we have next to no positive cut through in the mainstream media, all we hear is the negative stuff get put out there for the general public to build an opinion from. 

We have less and less outlets even in our own game, and even our current broadcasters don’t seem to care reporting much of any value for us. 

After a period of about 10 years (2005 to 2015) where we were making progress, it’s back to square one these days.

Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

"in our view it is the behaviour that is the problem..."

"we do not accept all behaviours"

"we look at it as a problem with unacceptable behaviour"

"We must weed out those unacceptable behaviours and people"

Its  pleassing  to  to    hear  the   F.A   CEO   come  out  so  firmly   Against   the  Fans   anti-social    behaviour.  It  certainly   sounds  to  me  like  a  ZERO  TOLERANCE    approach .
Edited
3 Years Ago by Remote Control
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

The issue is main stream won't publish this kinda reply now... 

But this is very encouraging ... if he can keep it up it will in time cut through 
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Midfielder - 1 May 2021 11:33 AM
The issue is main stream won't publish this kinda reply now... 

But this is very encouraging ... if he can keep it up it will in time cut through 

I do  Agree .   It  seem     Bad   behaviour   by  Fans  of  our  beLoved  game    has  being    aloud  for  too  long.

This    F.A   CEO   seems  determined  to   Stamp  It   Out .

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Great we finally have a CEO that backs our game and can push back from this crap.
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro

Barca4Life - 1 May 2021 2:47 PM
Great we finally have a CEO that backs our game and can push back from this crap.

I  think  it it  isgood  that  this   F.A   CEO  comes  out  PUBLICLY   Against  Fans     unaceptable    behavior  &is  willing   to  call   it  out    Publicly
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

It's good news that JJ backed the game. Who were those groups at the match Komiti and SUS, seeing that the violence was not racial though?
Edited
3 Years Ago by soccerfoo
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Of course JJ is correct in everything he has said about this incident.
That's not the issue for me.
The real issue, and the real shame, is that Ray Hadley can talk positively about the NCIP - a policy which should never have existed in the first place.
Now that's not on JJ, it predates him, nothing much he can do now except say it was wrong.
But let's facts here, the NCIP was introduced to appease people like Ray Hadley.
Our governing body did that.
JJ might now say that multiculturism is a strength of our game, but our governing body turned its back on multiculturalism.  The A-League was actually founded on a ticket of anti-multiculturalism.

robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

I couldn't give a fuck if mainstream media show JJ's response.

I'm more happy that JJ couldn't give a fuck about Hadley and his comments. He didn't give in to him regarding NCIP like any of the flops before him would have in the same situation. 

For me that's all that matters. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

robstazzz - 1 May 2021 6:44 PM
I couldn't give a fuck if mainstream media show JJ's response.

I'm more happy that JJ couldn't give a fuck about Hadley and his comments. He didn't give in to him regarding NCIP like any of the flops before him would have in the same situation. 

For me that's all that matters. 

Well said.

The fact that he's speaking for the football community despite the fact that he's not scoring points with the mainstream media says it all.

Gallop and Lowy should never be forgiven for throwing our own community under the bus to appease these people who will always hate us no matter what we do anyway.

As a rugby man, perhaps you can include Gallop in Johnson's comments as to why he doesn't understand nor indeed like our game,  just like Hadley.

Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Ray doesn't like reference to Macedonia in the club's name, name should be in English 

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/football-australia-ceo-james-johnson-defends-ethnic/id129573335?i=1000518757323

robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

paladisious - 1 May 2021 7:22 PM

Well said.

The fact that he's speaking for the football community even he's not scoring points with the mainstream media says it all.

Gallop and Lowy should never be forgiven for throwing our own community under the bus to appease these people who will always hate us no matter what we do anyway.

As a rugby man, perhaps you can include Gallop in Johnson's comments as to why he doesn't understand nor indeed like our game,  just like Hadley.

Spot on, especially on your point about throwing football fans under the bus to appease those who hate our game no matter what. 
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro

I  guess  a BIG  take- away   from  this  is isthat it  seems F.A are  determined  to make it  sure  unaceptable  misbehavior  by  Fans  are  Punished.  I  think   we  can  all   rest  easy   knowing  that . .
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Remote Control - 1 May 2021 8:16 PM
I  guess  a BIG  take- away   from  this  is isthat it  seems F.A are  determined  to make it  sure  unaceptable  misbehavior  by  Fans  are  Punished.  I  think   we  can  all   rest  easy   knowing  that . .

😯
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

conm - 1 May 2021 7:56 PM
Ray doesn't like reference to Macedonia in the club's name, name should be in English 

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/football-australia-ceo-james-johnson-defends-ethnic/id129573335?i=1000518757323

Maybe Ray is from Florina or Kozani ?.. lol
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Well said.

The fact that he's speaking for the football community even he's not scoring points with the mainstream media says it all.

Its not just mainstream media that isn't getting JJs message though, its the so called "soccer media"  who, instead of supporting the fans looks to sensationalise  whatever story suits the agenda of their current paymaster... Paulie is right, Sporting News is just a website, why doesn't Vince "mainstream football writer" Rugari write about this instead of agreeing with Hadley that the ethnics are to blame? Just wondering.
  Johnson's comments were concise, fair and above all respectful to the thousands like myself who have been excluded for 17 years,. Even if nothing comes of this new look administration, no NSD, no pro/rel,  no hope of the old clubs ever joining the rest of the league, James' words as FA boss are alot kinder to hear than the language we received from previous administrations.... well done FA.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 May 2021 11:10 PM

Its not just mainstream media that isn't getting JJs message though, its the so called "soccer media"  who, instead of supporting the fans looks to sensationalise  whatever story suits the agenda of their current paymaster... Paulie is right, Sporting News is just a website, why doesn't Vince "mainstream football writer" Rugari write about this instead of agreeing with Hadley that the ethnics are to blame? Just wondering.
  Johnson's comments were concise, fair and above all respectful to the thousands like myself who have been excluded for 17 years,. Even if nothing comes of this new look administration, no NSD, no pro/rel,  no hope of the old clubs ever joining the rest of the league, James' words as FA boss are alot kinder to hear than the language we received from previous administrations.... well done FA.

A good point, a lot to be said about the state of what little is left of football media in this country.
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

The sokkah poofter wogs and their effnikkk violence rhetoric has run out of steam. The average punter no longer gives a shit, it’s just insecure media types trying to flog a dead horse. I’m sure all of Ray Hadleys retiree audience are currently waving their fists in fury while at bingo...
CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

Might add also, I saw more coverage of the incident from football journos/outlets than the mainstream media
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

robstazzz - 1 May 2021 8:02 PM

Spot on, especially on your point about throwing football fans under the bus to appease those who hate our game no matter what. 

Nonsense. Appease the sponsors and advertisers primarily if anything.

In a resort somewhere

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

paulc - 2 May 2021 10:04 AM
robstazzz - 1 May 2021 8:02 PM

Nonsense. Appease the sponsors and advertisers primarily if anything.

A policy that has resulted in no fans being left to advertise or broadcast to. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
paulc
paulc
Legend

paladisious - 2 May 2021 11:34 AM
paulc - 2 May 2021 10:04 AM

A policy that has resulted in “ no fans “ no being left to advertise or broadcast to. 

Partly accurate. There are several factors that’s left no fans - an inept non progressive FFA, inactive AL owners, no high profile foreigners, no improvement in game quality, boredom with game generally , corona virus, and yes - partly the past restraint on unruly fans.

In a resort somewhere

CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

paulc - 2 May 2021 12:48 PM
paladisious - 2 May 2021 11:34 AM

Partly accurate. There are several factors that’s left no fans - an inept non progressive FFA, inactive AL owners, no high profile foreigners, no improvement in game quality, boredom with game generally , corona virus, and yes - partly the past restraint on unruly fans.

The 20k at the Sydney derby was a marker of how far the League has fallen.  A long way, unfortunately. Not long ago anything less than a full stadium would have been unthinkable.
CS
CS
Rising Star
Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)Rising Star (971 reputation)

paladisious - 2 May 2021 6:48 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 1 May 2021 11:10 PM

A good point, a lot to be said about the state of what little is left of football media in this country.

If 9/Stan buy the tv rights, the media situation will change dramatically.
paulc
paulc
Legend

CS - 2 May 2021 2:28 PM
paulc - 2 May 2021 12:48 PM

The 20k at the Sydney derby was a marker of how far the League has fallen.  A long way, unfortunately. Not long ago anything less than a full stadium would have been unthinkable.

It will bounce back if the stakeholders get off their backside and perform as they promised. Hard to beat those past massive crowds though, all under Lowy’s watch too.

In a resort somewhere

CS
CS
Rising Star

paulc - 2 May 2021 3:38 PM
CS - 2 May 2021 2:28 PM

It will bounce back if the stakeholders get off their backside and perform as they promised. Hard to beat those past massive crowds though, all under Lowy’s watch too.

I would argue that what we are seeing now is exactly because of Lowy and Gallop/Buckley, starting with the absurd, wasteful and destructive failed World Cup bid that did so much to harm the  A League.
Edited
3 Years Ago by CS
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro

We  hadthe    Crowds  of    40,000+    just  2  season  ago -Thats  right   just  TWO  seasons  ago ! !  WHAT  on  EARTH  has  the Suits  being  doingthe  last  2  years ??
Caterm
Caterm
Fan
Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)Fan (79 reputation)

Remote Control - 2 May 2021 6:06 PM
We  hadthe    Crowds  of    40,000+    just  2  season  ago -Thats  right   just  TWO  seasons  ago ! !  WHAT  on  EARTH  has  the Suits  being  doingthe  last  2  years ??

Fighting the Club owners on the breakaway A/L and finished the internal fighting in JAN, so the new APL has the power to change things but still waiting on the broadcast deal, 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search