Melbourne city vs western United grand final thread

Melbourne city vs western United grand final thread

Author
SoccerooFan
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Dan_The_Red - 28 May 2022 9:47 PM
huddo - 28 May 2022 9:41 PM

How the fuck can any Australian football fan dislike JA. The blokes a living legend.

Exactly!! Great to see all of the interviewed players giving him a wrap 
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

That MC forward line is Australia’s FMD 
Tom AUFC
Tom AUFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

How the fuck can any Australian football fan dislike JA. The blokes a living legend.

This. And this is speaking as an Adelaide United fan who never got to see him return to play for us. Very happy for Johnny!
Tom AUFC
Tom AUFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Leave Leckie and Maclaren behind and bring Cummings and Kuol instead.
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

As a manager he was horrible with his first two appointments, but it seems he's finally learnt defence wins you titles. Congrats to him shows alot of perseverance.
As a player sure he was good, no debate, but he did chase the money from CCM to SFC, so I do hold a gripe there. 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

johnszasz - 28 May 2022 9:41 PM
Leckie and Maclaren needn't board the plane after that display. 

Hopefully Taggart starts and not JMac. Did he even touch the ball tonight?? Leckie looked cooked
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Leckie and Maclaren needn't board the plane after that display. 

Was it their fault or the non creative midfield that couldn't make a dent on a well drilled defence?
Edited
2 Years Ago by Gyfox
huddo
huddo
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Gyfox - 28 May 2022 9:55 PM

Was it their fault or the non creative midfield that couldn't made a dent on a well drilled defence?

It does show a lack of versatility.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

huddo - 28 May 2022 9:53 PM

As a manager he was horrible with his first two appointments, but it seems he's finally learnt defence wins you titles. Congrats to him shows alot of perseverance.
As a player sure he was good, no debate, but he did chase the money from CCM to SFC, so I do hold a gripe there. 

Absolutely pathetic reason to ‘despise’ anyone.
huddo
huddo
Pro

I don't understand that MOTM. Especially noting where the game was primarily played
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Was it their fault or the non creative midfield that couldn't made a dent on a well drilled defence?

Your question sums up the problem. They are both very one dimensional players.
huddo
huddo
Pro

Dan_The_Red - 28 May 2022 9:56 PM
huddo - 28 May 2022 9:53 PM

Absolutely pathetic reason to ‘despise’ anyone.

Maybe despise is to strong a word.
I certainly didn't rate him, quite the opposite.
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

huddo - 28 May 2022 9:58 PM
I don't understand that MOTM. Especially noting where the game was primarily played

He’s was actually really lazy the whole game 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

I just felt neither went looking for it tonight. Leckie his stumbling old self. Compare that to Piscopo on the ball. They have no chance over Boyle or Taggart so hopefully Arnold recalls the good early games against China and Oman.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Leckie and mclaren play the worst 90 minute and go to UAE, Tilio hardly plays,  go to UAE. Players like Cummings, Kuol and Birighitti doing everything right and can't get a look in. 

22k for the grand final, 7k less than the last grand final at AAMI, with big gaps in the bottom levels on the sidelines and behind the goals, and a whole upper level completely closed. Seems unlikely. Feel like it was less but I hope it wasn't. 

Match was as bad as it could get for a neutral or first timer. City were irrelevant,  as they have been for a few months. 

WU weren't clinical and I'm very happy for a few players,  (not including kilkenny) very happy for Aloisi. 

I hope next year is better as whole and we can get everyone back in the stands. 
ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

scubaroo - 28 May 2022 11:52 PM

22k for the grand final, 7k less than the last grand final at AAMI, with big gaps in the bottom levels on the sidelines and behind the goals, and a whole upper level completely closed. Seems unlikely. Feel like it was less but I hope it wasn't. 

Quit the bedwetting, it was 7,000 up on last year's grand final and practically full except for the top tier of one stand. 

ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Honestly, the negativity around this season can GTFO. Since when did one game define a whole season? The atmosphere was great. Yes, I’d hope for a sellout, but this season was massively disrupted and got practically no momentum.

What’s impressed me about WU this season is that Aloisi and Foxe came with a plan, and stuck to what works. Their squad is not that deep, but the first XI is full of quality and experience - Lacroix and Prijoivic, in particular, have been fantastic acquisitions, as well as Kilkenny. Plus, I never expected to see so many fans in green and black… Almost gives me hope if they can finally settle on a home ground. Aloisi deserves his redemption tale.

As for City, well, Kisnorbo was simply outcoached. As a City member, I’ve been to all but one home game this year, and a number of ‘away’ games (mostly at AAMI) and I feel the team’s main problems are: Maclaren and Kisnorbo. A little more creativity in the middle of the park would be great, but things were going well before O’Neill’s injury and when Berengueur was in his pomp. Jamieson should also go next season.

Kisborbo may be a tough guy, but he’s a managerial wimp. Plays his favourites, falls out with players, rarely makes game-changing subs. The halftime sub of Jenkinson is the perfect example - take off the guy on loan, not any of the big name, underperforming Aussies. The lack of Colakovski was criminal. Maclaren is a fine poacher but needs the whole team to be set up around him. 

I can only see the A-League building up from here, ridiculous disruptions not withstanding. 

Thanks for reading. I’ll breathe now.
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

ctrl - 29 May 2022 12:17 AM

Quit the bedwetting, it was 7,000 up on last year's grand final and practically full except for the top tier of one stand. 

yeah ,  it  was  practically  full    except    for   a  whole   big  part   of  one   stand   and   all   the   empty   seats  ...
Mustang67
Mustang67
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Congratulations to WU and all the fans. Outplayed both Victory and the CFG and full deserve the crown of champions. 
alvn1
alvn1
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

I thought once they made the final WU might just carry on to win it. You tend to not beat the form team of the second half of the season 4-1 in a semi and then not keep that impetus with you into the final. Well played WU deserved winners over the whole season
Edited
2 Years Ago by alvn1
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

A huge congrats to JA - at least one of the GG gets their moment to shine after so many have copped baggings.
Talk about a outlier win for a club with no home field good on them.

Love Football

ctrl
ctrl
Semi-Pro

Remote Control - 29 May 2022 3:47 AM

yeah ,  it  was  practically  full    except    for   a  whole   big  part   of  one   stand   and   all   the   empty   seats  ...

If it sold out at AAMI you would have been crying that that it wasn't held at a bigger stadium. 
Remote Control
Remote Control
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

@ ctrl

But  they   didn't   sell   out   AAMI ...
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

LFC. - 29 May 2022 5:57 PM
A huge congrats to JA - at least one of the GG gets their moment to shine after so many have copped baggings.
Talk about a outlier win for a club with no home field good on them.

Which of the GG copper baggings?
Apart from the ones that tried to milk a playing career beyond their capabilities

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Bit rough. 
Last years was capped at 50% capacity.
I honestly didn't think they'd get more than 15,000, but they did
I don't think they got over 20,000 but considering how bad it could've been it was a good effort and I was pleasantly surprised at the number of WU supporters. I hope they can build on it.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Butler99 - 29 May 2022 8:35 PM
LFC. - 29 May 2022 5:57 PM

Which of the GG copper baggings?
Apart from the ones that tried to milk a playing career beyond their capabilities

what are you looking for here butler ? obviously you see it differently.
As for players way past their prime milking it that happens in every league in the world no matter the levels and for yonks whats that got to do with it and more so hold anything against them.......
IF a Club offers a contract or you for arguments sake do you say nah forget it I'm over it, ffs.

Love Football

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

ctrl - 29 May 2022 12:45 AM
As for City, well, Kisnorbo was simply outcoached. As a City member, I’ve been to all but one home game this year, and a number of ‘away’ games (mostly at AAMI) and I feel the team’s main problems are: Maclaren and Kisnorbo. A little more creativity in the middle of the park would be great, but things were going well before O’Neill’s injury and when Berengueur was in his pomp. Jamieson should also go next season.

I think it may be a little worse than that. This season, the two teams with the best defensive record were MV and WU. He knew when the finals series started that it was very likely he would have one of those sides. On top of that, Kisborbo was unable to defeat either of those teams at all this season. 
MC vs MV /  2-2 (DRAW) / 3-0 (MV WIN) / 1-1 (DRAW)
MC vs WU /  0-1 (WU WIN) / 0-1 (WU WIN) / 2-2 (DRAW)
This shows that his system is nearly ineffective against sides with very good defensive capabilities. Of those 6 games, JMac only scored once. Yet, Kisnorbo still played the same tactics. It was as if he ignored all previous encounters, and completely ignored the MV/WU semi. It was very clear how JA was going to play, and Kisnorbo essentially let it happen. I reckon there may very well been a similar result had MV made it to the GF.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

That Western United backline is amazing & those tactics by JA even old Jose Mourinho would have golf clapped.    

No wonder JA is asking for more money from his dodgy developer owners.  Get the money up front Johnny!!    :D
Edited
2 Years Ago by ErogenousZone
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

History tells us (in A-League's short history), when you have an attacking team like City, more often than not, the opposition knows everything about you.
A simple, defense-minded counter-attacking gameplan will do the job if the discipline and patience is there, and for WU it's been there most of the season.
There has been just one team in A-League history where that hasn't been the case.
With WU, I mean fair dinkum, they had one shot on target all night, and scored two goals!

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

bettega - 31 May 2022 1:19 PM
History tells us (in A-League's short history), when you have an attacking team like City, more often than not, the opposition knows everything about you.
A simple, defense-minded counter-attacking gameplan will do the job if the discipline and patience is there, and for WU it's been there most of the season.
There has been just one team in A-League history where that hasn't been the case.
With WU, I mean fair dinkum, they had one shot on target all night, and scored two goals!

hey just look at Ancelotti :) :( not just the AL, the beauty of our game tbh as much as it hurts.

Love Football

Edited
2 Years Ago by LFC.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search