God's Chessboard (2017/2018 Arsenal FC Thread) **Boom XhakaLaca**

God's Chessboard (2017/2018 Arsenal FC Thread) **Boom XhakaLaca**

Author
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
Arsenal 2-3 WBA: Report

By Richard Clarke

Arsenal missed the opportunity to make up ground on leaders Chelsea when they were beaten 3-2 by West Brom at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Arsène Wenger’s men kicked-off this afternoon just minutes after Manchester City had completed a 1-0 victory over the Stamford Bridge outfit. It meant that a win today followed by another at Chelsea next week and Arsenal would be top.

However the home side would never find their feet this afternoon. 

In the first half, Manuel Almunia saved a penalty from Chris Brunt after the keeper had felled Peter Odemwingie. Then they were blown away by two goals in two minutes just after the break. 

First, Odemwingie prodded home following fine work by Jerome Thomas. Then a speculative effort from Gonzalo Jara hit Almunia and found the bottom corner. 

Arsenal’s comeback failed to make much of a dent until Thomas had added a third in the 73rd minute. Almost immediately, Nasri plundered a goal. The Frenchman grabbed another on the stroke of full time to make for a frantic five minutes of injury time.

The home side huffed and puffed but West Brom did not buckle. The visitors are certainly a tidy side while Arsenal were rough around the edges this afternoon.

It was a bad day at the office and Wenger’s men can not afford many more like this if they are going to seriously challenge for the title.

Emirates Stadium was drenched in Autumnal sunshine as the teams strode out this afternoon and the weather matched the overall mood. 

Since dropping two late points at Sunderland last Saturday, Arsenal had swept aside Tottenham in the Carling Cup. Then just before kick-off, news had filtered round that Chelsea had been beaten.

With Arsenal travelling to West London next weekend, it was a chance. A good chance.

Wenger retained only Nasri and Laurent Koscielny from the side that had won so handsomely on enemy territory on Tuesday.

But there were only two alterations from the Stadium of Light. Cesc Fabregas (hamstring) dropped out but Abou Diaby returned from the ankle injury he collected in the last game Premier League game at Emirates. Meanwhile Emmanuel Eboue replaced Jack Wilshere.

Before kick-off, Wenger had suggested a lack of focus could be “fatal” this afternoon.

However, in the opening stages, Arsenal did not heed his words.

They had sufficient possession but did not use it wisely; failing to find team-mates with anything like their usual regularity.

Still, during the opening stages both full-backs, Gael Clichy and Bacary Sagna, bashed shots just beyond either post.

In the 14th minute, they should have taken the lead. Eboue crossed from the right and the sliding Arshavin nudged the ball against the far post twice in quick succession. 

Nasri fired over then against the stanchion so, as the half-hour ticked by, Arsenal might well have been well ahead. But their performance was still not of the usual standard.

West Brom, meanwhile, were on the back foot but hardly overawed. Thomas slipped over at the crucial moment when he seemed set the pull the trigger.

And in the 27th minute, they might have thieved the lead. Odemwingie collected the ball on the right, cut inside and fired low towards the near post. Almunia stretched down to his right and feathered the ball onto the post. 

Ten minutes from the break, Song clipped a cross to Nasri who leathered a volley over the bar.

But Arsenal had simply not clicked into gear and it showed. They seemed a little vulnerable this afternoon and, in the 37th minute, they were caught out. 

Brunt sent Odemwingie racing down the right-hand channel and Almunia raced out to intercept. The Nigerian striker got there first and the keeper swept him off his feet. There were enough covering defenders to mean Almunia saw yellow not red. 

Brunt stepped up to take the penalty but the Spaniard guessed correctly to make a fine save.

Perhaps it was the spark Arsenal needed this afternoon and, shortly afterwards, Sebastien Squillaci powered a header just over the bar from Arshavin’s cross.

In injury time, the Russian sent over a free-kick from virtually the same position and Sagna’s 
header was hurriedly tipped over by Scott Carson.

Arsenal needed half-time to clear their heads. Frankly it could have been 2-0 in either direction at the break.

Within seven minutes of the restart we would have that scoreline – but very much in favour of the visitors.

Five minutes in, Thomas weaved past Sagna on the left-hand byline and fired a low ball across the face of goal. Odemwingie gleefully touched home at the far post.

Two minutes later, Brunt’s backheel nutmegged Clichy on the right and found Jara. His shot hit Almunia’s knee and went in at the near post. 

Arsenal had made that ‘fatal’ mistake Wenger feared – and they had 38 minutes to revive themselves.

The manager made immediate re-enforcements. Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky for Eboue and Diaby.

Then Arsenal started plotting a route back into the game. Nasri had a penalty claim turned down then Chamakh just failed to connect with Clichy’s left-wing cross. 

Just after Song missed a near post header, Wenger brought on Vela for Koscielny. 

However, Arsenal’s search had not built up a head of steam before in the 73rd minute, they conceded a third.

Brunt burst clear on the right of the area and perhaps the first-half penalty incident meant Almunia did not dive in but shepherded the midfielder wide.

However, Brunt gathered the ball and squared low into the area for Thomas to prod home from close range. Emirates Stadium had been in decent voice this afternoon but now it was speechless.

But, within two minutes, Nasri threw Arsenal a lifeline. Just after the French midfielder had smashed a shot against the bar from distance, he weaved through the West Brom defence and planted a shot into the far corner. It was his third goal of the week and his first from open play.

The expected onslaught did not really materialise but Scott Carson was forced to cling onto Squillaci’s header and, just as the fourth official indicated five minutes of injury time, Arsenal scored again when Nasri found space six yards out.

Having been caught out by injury time last week, could it save them this afternoon?

Now the home side's tactics were ‘kitchen sink’. Cross after cross was thrown into the box, the closest they came was when Chamakh scuffed a header wide. Arshavin forced a decent save from Carson and Rosicky flicked a shot over the bar.

At the full time whistle, the Arsenal fans clapped their side off and, sportingly, did likewise for West Brom. The visitors had won this game as much as the home side had lost it.

Next week’s trip to Stamford Bridge has just got even bigger.
http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3286222/first-team/arsenal-v-w.b.a.?tab=report

Looking through all the shit that was the performance last night, the one shining light was Nasri and our best player by far, he was just immense and carried the team by himself in that second half.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

Quote:
[size=6]Wenger refuses to blame Almunia after shock loss[/size]

A crestfallen Arsene Wenger refused to put the blame on Manuel Almunia for Arsenal's shock home defeat to newly-promoted West Brom.

Three second-half goals from Peter Odemwingie, Gonzalo Jara and former Arsenal player Jerome Thomas put Albion in dreamland before Samir Nasri scored two late consolation goals for the home side.

Almunia conceded a penalty in the first half when he brought down Odemwingie but he saved Chris Brunt's weak effort, though the Spaniard was at fault for the second Baggies goal. Their defeat left Arsenal four points adrift of Barclays Premier League leaders Chelsea while West Brom moved into fifth place.

"Well, you can have question marks over many players today if you look at the performance, especially defensively,'' added Wenger. "Many players made massive mistakes defensively. I do not want to talk about any one performance, we were collectively poor. You could single out many players. Overall it was a poor team performance and we have to analyse why and respond well.

"It's unexplainable how flat the whole thing looked for the whole game, it's a mystery for me. Today in our performance something was not right. It was unusual to see a team as flat was we were.''

"We were poor and we got a poor result,'' said Wenger. "We were poor everywhere, at the back, up front and in the middle of the park. We had an off day and were not good enough to win the game. I believe the concentration that gives you the sharpness was not there today.

"We made it more difficult because we were not at our usual level, defensively or offensively. Anything was difficult for us today, to pass the ball, to win it back. Overall we got what we deserved, that is zero points. We didn't deserve more.''

West Brom boss Roberto Di Matteo was full of praise for his battling Baggies after they won at Arsenal for the first time in 27 years. "I would say we deserved it, the way we played, the way we created chances, scored goals and played very well,'' said Di Matteo.

"We pressed them very high, we pressed them all over the pitch. We managed not to let them play their usual way. And when we had the ball we passed it very well and created chances ourselves.

"I don't want us just to be pretty, I want results at the end of the day. We got a hammering at Chelsea and it wasn't a pretty week after that, but we've learned. We've cut out those mistakes and that gives us a chance to stay in a game and win things.

"We go into games believing we can win. It was the way we won, we were not lucky. We played some tremendous football and defended well too. I knew at 3-0 in front the game wasn't over because with the players Arsenal have on the pitch they will create chances.''
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=826963&sec=england&cc=3436

I refuse to blame him as well. Making one big mistake is not the reason we lost. Is he the reason Sagna and Clichy had their worst games for a long time. A whole lot of knee jerk reactions imo.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

A bit bored So I thought I'd do something I saw on another Arsenal forum. You're all time favourite XI. Now I don't mean picking the best players, I mean you're favourite player for each position.

here's mine:

---Lehmann---
Dixon---Adams---Campbell----Sylvinho

Ljunberg-----Silva----Brady-----Pires---

----Bergkamp-----Kanu---
-

Edited by sydneycroatia58: 27/9/2010 12:21:33 AM
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

very disappointed with the loss, still thought we could of least drawn the game when we where 3-1 down, lets hope we can chnage it around tuesday in the CL
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

pimpsta wrote:
very disappointed with the loss, still thought we could of least drawn the game when we where 3-1 down, lets hope we can chnage it around tuesday in the CL

Yeah hopefully we can get a solid win in and just forget about the West Brom game, get some confidence up before the Chelsea game in the weekend.

I think he might rest a few players for the Partizan game mid week.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

you would think so, you would think some of our reserves would be too good for partizan,
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

pimpsta wrote:
you would think so, you would think some of our reserves would be too good for partizan,

They should, but we tend to struggle on these types of away trips sometimes. I think we'll see players like Eboue and Rosicky probably get a start and maybe Carlos Vela.

I wouldn't mind seeing this line up.

---Almunia----

---Eboue--Koscielny---Squillaci---Clichy---

----Song----

---Nasri----------Diaby/Wilshere-----

----Rosicky-----------------------------------Vela----

------Chamakh--------

If I was Wenger I'd be very tempted to start with Nasri and Wilshere in the middle instead of Diaby considering how much better we looked playing them two in the middle.

Edited by sydneycroatia58: 27/9/2010 01:43:49 PM
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Andrey Arshavin on West Bromwich Albion, Partizan and facing Chelsea[/size]

Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin opted not to hide behind excuses as he was honest enough to admit that the Gunners simply didn’t play well on Saturday against West Bromwich Albion.

Speaking to his official website, the Russian explained how Arsenal gave away possession too easily as he added how credit should be given to Roberto di Matteo’s men for playing a very good game and taking full advantage of the Gunners’ bad day at the office. Arshavin was of course not happy with the result and the wasted opportunity to cut the gap at the top.

Chelsea first and Manchester United then both dropped points last weekend but with Arsene Wenger’s squad losing by three goals to two at the Emirates, a golden opportunity to go just one point from their London rivals was wasted.

When asked about upcoming away games against Partizan in the Champions League and Chelsea in the English Premier League, Arshavin said how they have to take it match-by-match, focusing on the Serbian side and only think about Stamford Bridge after the Champions League game is over.

After West Brom, the 29-year old said:

"Firstly, we didn’t play well today. Secondly, it won’t do for us.

We were losing the ball; some things didn’t turn out as planned. West Bromwich, on the contrary, had a very good game, they were playing well. They managed to use our mistakes. It wasn’t our day. Hence the score on the scoreboard. I have nothing more to say about the game.

We had an opportunity to get closer to Chelsea and away from the other clubs. Unfortunately, we didn’t use this chance. We should try to reduce this gap in the next round.

It is too early to think about Chelsea. At first, we have to focus on the league. We have successfully started this tournament. So now we need to strengthen our position. We must prepare for the match against Chelsea only after the game against the Serbs."
http://www.thegunninghawk.com/2010/09/27/andrey-arshavin-on-west-bromwich-albion-partizan-and-facing-chelsea/

Edited by sydneycroatia58: 27/9/2010 02:07:24 PM
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Wenger eyeing Serbian success[/size]

Arsene Wenger is targeting a first European away win in more than a year when Arsenal travel to Partizan Belgrade on Tuesday night.

The North London giants opened their UEFA Champions League Group H campaign with a 6-0 demolition of Braga while the Serbs lost 1-0 against Shakhtar Donetsk.

But the Gunners go into the clash in Serbia on the back of a shock 3-2 Premier League home defeat to West Brom, although the French tactician is hoping his side will show no effects from the loss.

With a trip to leaders Chelsea next Sunday afternoon in Wenger's mind, both the result and the performance in Belgrade take on an extra significance.

"It is important to get a good result against Partizan Belgrade," said Wenger, whose team last won a Champions League away fixture at Standard Liege in September 2009.

"First of all, it gives us a good opportunity to qualify if we can then win our home game afterwards.

"As well, it is important before going to Chelsea that we have a good performance."
Song hopeful

Meanwhile, Alex Song believes Arsenal's squad is much stronger this season and can progress even further in Europe.

"We have more people behind the attack now," he said.

"When we have the ball, we can go forward and help create things, but I think we now have a midfield which can switch over quickly when we lose the ball and look quite solid.

"It is important for the midfield to have that good balance, and I think this shape has started well for us. We are enjoying playing this way.

"We started playing very well and just need to keep working on the way we are set up in training."
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6403215,00.html

Got a feeling he will rest a few players with an eye on the Chelsea game, just like Man Utd did against Rangers. He won't rest as many as Man Utd did but he will rest a few.
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
---Lehmann---
Dixon---Adams---Campbell----Sylvinho

Ljunberg-----Silva----Brady-----Pires---

----Bergkamp-----Kanu---
-

surprised ces... sorry, sorry, i mean jesus isn't in there

can't think of mine on the spot, but i must say my foward line would be pretty similar :)

btw, we're absolutely raping the chelsea and united threads :cool: \:d/ :p

Edited by gooner4life_8: 27/9/2010 05:51:58 PM
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

I was gonna put Cesc but had to out Brady just love watching videos of him.

As for the forward line:lol: I had Henry in the instead of kanu originally but then started watching videos of kanu and just couldn't leave him out. That hatrick against Chelsea still makes me laugh:lol:
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Time is right for Jack the lad... [/size]

Let's not dwell on the awful events of Saturday. The minutiae of our shambolic performance has been well and truly scrutinised by now and it's pointless going over old ground. Still basking in the warm after-glow of humiliating T******** and then...well, that's football. All I will say is Jack Wilshere should have started, especially since we were missing Cesc.

So Partizan Belgrade tomorrow night in the Champions League and the perfect opportunity to get the defeat our of our system. A decent fist of it out in Serbia will also serve to sharpen the focus on the trip to Chelsea on Sunday.

It'll be interesting to see which keeper AW picks for the game after MA1's decidedly dodgy doings against the Baggies but one keeper seemingly not on his way to Emirates after all is Mark Schwarzer. Apparently our summer target is now in talks to extend his contract at Fulham.

Today's Mirror says the Australian put in a transfer request last month following a bid from us but they refused to sell because our offer wasn't big enough. There was talk of him coming to us in the January transfer window but that doesn't appear to be the case because Fulham now want the 37-year-old to finish his career at Craven Cottage. Mark Hughes said: “He’s settled down and we’re talking to him in terms of his future. He’s got options. He’s in the last year of his contract so we’d like to think his future lies here.”
Now to address my obsession with hating the team that dare not speak its name. Some interesting quotes from Mr Redknapp this morning. He said: “I’d like to get another couple of flair players for the side to go with the likes of Van der Vart and Modric. You don’t give the ball away when you’ve got players like that. You look at Arsenal, they’re all popping the ball around to each other. If people want the ball, you’ve got a chance because they tend not to give the ball away.

“I’d much rather play that way, to be honest with you, than have people in there who are hammer-throwers, and keep passing the ball to the other team and then tackling people to get it back again. I’d rather go the other way.”

Crap joke alert: Which social networking site does HR use? Er, Twitcher...
http://www.arsenalinsider.com/arsenal-news/1924-time-is-right-for-jack-the-lad

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Gibbs returns to squad for Partizan clash[/size]

Arsenal have announced an 18-man squad for Tuesday night's Champions League clash with Partizan Belgrade.

Kieran Gibbs is back in the squad after recovering from the foot injury he sustained during the Carling Cup win at Tottenham last week.

Meanwhile Manuel Almunia's injury has opened the door for Lukasz Fabianski to start in Serbia with Polish keeper Wojciech Szczesny also in the travelling party.

Arsenal squad to face Partizan Belgrade:

21. Lukasz Fabianski
53. Wojciech Szczesny
3. Bacary Sagna
22. Gael Clichy
6. Laurent Koscielny
7. Tomas Rosicky
8. Samir Nasri
11. Carlos Vela
15. Denilson
17. Alex Song
18. Sebastien Squillaci
19. Jack Wilshere
20. Johan Djourou
27. Emmanuel Eboue
23. Andrey Arshavin
29. Marouane Chamakh
28. Kieran Gibbs
46. Henri Lansbury
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/gibbs-returns-to-squad-for-partizan-clash

God fucking help us. I'm praying that Szczeny being in there means he will get the nod ahead of Fabianski, but I'm not holding my breath. Good to see Gibbs back he has to start ahead of Clichy.

I'd start like this

----Szczeny----

---Sagna-----Koscielny--Squillaci---Gibbs---

------Song-------

-----Nasri-----------Wilshere--------

----Rosicky----------------------------Arshavin-----

------Chamkh-----

I'd start Szczeny simply because him making a mistake is more acceptable than having Fabianski in there.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Reserves: Arsenal 3-0 Blackpool[/size]

By Giuseppe Muro

Arsenal’s in-from front three of Chuks Aneke, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Gilles Sunu gave Neil Banfield’s men a 3-0 victory over Blackpool on Monday night.

Two second-half goals in as many minutes from Aneke and Emmanuel-Thomas put the Gunners in charge and Sunu sealed the win in injury time.

However, Banfield’s team didn’t have it all their own way on a difficult night at Underhill.

Arsenal made four changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Manchester City a fortnight ago. Wojciech Szczesny has travelled to Belgrade with the first team so James Shea started between the posts. Havard Nordtveit played at right back in his first start of the season and Gavin Hoyte partnered captain Iqnasi Miquel at centre half.

Goalscorers Afobe and Emmanuel-Thomas along with Benik Afobe again formed what is quickly becoming a formidable three-pronged attack.

There was a place on the bench for Sunu, the French striker who has been out of action for a number of months with a cartilage injury.

On a mild evening in Barnet, Arsenal struggled to find the from that has seen them start the season unbeaten against a well-organised Blackpool side that looked to play football whenever they had possession.

It was a frustrating first period for Banfield as he saw his side misplace a number of passes.

Emmanuel-Thomas had to come as deep as the halfway line on occasions to receive the ball as the Blackpool back four made it very difficult for the striker to impose himself on the game.

The first two opportunities at goal fell to the men in white, with first David Carney and then Phillips forcing smart saves at Shea’s near post.

The closest Arsenal came in the first half was through Emmanuel-Thomas after 21 minutes. The forward dribbled his way past four defenders as he ran to the byline before crossing for Afobe. Just as he was about to pull the trigger the left leg of Chris Basham diverted the ball clear of danger.

Arsenal started the second half much brighter and began playing the football that we had seen over the opening three games of the season.

Conor Henderson, Aneke and then Jernade Meade tested Kingston from long range before the Gunners created their best chance of the match after 55 minutes.

Neat one-touch passing on the edge of the area from Aneke, Emmanuel-Thomas and Henderson eventually created an opening for Roarie Deacon on the left edge of the area. The midfielder composed himself before firing in a shot that was deflected over Coid - but Arsenal were knocking on the door.

After 71 minutes, Aneke broke the deadlock. Craig Eastmond found himself in enough space on the edge of the area to pick out Aneke with a cutting through-ball. At first Aneke ran slightly wide but he placed a shot across the keeper and into the far corner to put his side in front.

Moments later it was two.

Meade picked up a loose ball in midfield before playing a great through-ball into substitute Sunu who was brought down inside the box by Mark Halstead. Emmanuel-Thomas stepped up and calmly placed the ball into the net past the keeper's outstretched left hand.

Sunu sealed the win in injury time when he rounded the keeper and slotted into the empty net after being played in by Emmanuel-Thomas.
http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3305101/reserves/arsenal-res-v-blackpool-res?tab=report

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Arsene Wenger on Cesc Fabregas’ chances to face Chelsea on Sunday[/size]

With midfielder Abou Diaby and goalkeeper Manuel Almunia joining the long list of injured players, Arsenal will hope to have captain Cesc Fabregas available for this Sunday’s big game at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea.

Speaking on Tuesday, manager Arsene Wenger admitted how the midfielder will surely not feature in Serbia against Partizan Belgrade in Arsenal’s Group H game but is hopeful to have him back for the Premier League game against their London rivals.

Fabregas, 23, was forced out of the 1-1 draw away at Sunderland after scoring a bizarre goal in the first part of the game and hasn’t featured since.

With the Gunners already facing injury problems to key players such as Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott, the recovery of the Spaniard is very important especially since a defeat would leave them seven points adrift of Carlo Ancelotti’s side.

On Fabregas, Wenger said:

"Cesc for Partizan is impossible.

But he has started to run so we have to monitor his progress in the week and there is a little hope there he will be available [for Sunday]."
http://www.thegunninghawk.com/2010/09/28/arsene-wenger-on-cesc-fabregas-chances-to-face-chelsea-on-sunday/

I think he'll start on the bench against Chelsea.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Young Partizan coach gunning for Arsenal scalp[/size]

Aleksandar Stanojevic might not be very well known in England right now, but the upwardly mobile Partizan Belgrade coach could be about to change all that.

At the tender age of 36, the Serbian leads his team into Champions League battle against Arsenal at the Stadion FK Partizan on Tuesday with a reputation that is burgeoning by the week.

After being named Partizan's third manager of a fractured season in April, Stanojevic quickly set about making a good impression at his boyhood club. They wasted no time in turning around a deficit to win the league title and then went a step further by beating Belgian champions Anderlecht on penalties to progress to the group stage of the Champions League for the first time in seven years.

Not content with all that, the hugely ambitious Stanojevic told me he is lining up another stellar moment in his club's recent history at their fiery 32,000-capacity cauldron of a stadium, as they prepare to welcome Arsene Wenger and his team to Eastern Europe.

"I'm not scared of playing Arsenal, certainly not. I've never thought that way about anyone," said Stanojevic, who was born in Belgrade and spent five years playing for the club. "The players won't be nervous because they are playing in front of their own fans and it is a special experience, as you will see.

"My players and I are very pleased to have the opportunity to play against Arsenal and in this competition and though I am hoping that we can stay in Europe until the spring, we must wait and see. Finishing in the top two in the group and reaching the last 16 is still unrealistic for us, but you never know. It was unrealistic for us to get into the group stage of the Champions League, so..."

In his fledgling managerial career, over-achievement has been a regular occurrence for Stanojevic after he cut his teeth first as assistant at Partizan, then as assistant coach in the Serbia set-up and finally with a role in charge of his country's Under-19 side.

It was this success that prompted Partizan to act in April after the resignation of Goran Stevanovic, throwing Stanojevic into the deep end towards the end of the Serbian season. If it was a case of sink or swim, the one-time Atletico Madrid midfielder did more than just keep his head above water as they impressively overhauled a two-point Red Star Belgrade lead to beat their fiercest rivals to the title with a game to spare.

"I was lucky to work at a high level very young," said Stanojevic, Partizan's youngest manager in their 65-year history. "At the Under-19 European Championship in Ukraine we won third place, defeating England in the qualifying and then Spain at the tournament. They were the things that recommended me to the Partizan board as head coach.

"The success we have had... in football nothing is a coincidence. It is the beginning with Partizan, but I've had success before with the national team so I just continued along my path, doing the same as I have always done - with studiousness, commitment to my job and a faith in being successful.

"It means a lot to me that I am coaching the best club in Serbia, especially because I am a child of Partizan. I started at the Partizan youth school, made my way up to the first team and now here I am."

Stanojevic is clearly not short of confidence, with the club's 1-0 defeat at the hands of Shakhtar Donetsk in their first group game failing to diminish his belief in his team. In Brazilian-born striker Cleo, who became a naturalised Serb only last week, and midfielder Sasa Ilic, they have two players with the quality to threaten any defence on their day.

But Stanojevic also knows that in Arsenal, themselves wounded after a 3-2 humbling at home by West Brom on Saturday, Partizan face an enormous challenge to gain their first victory in the Champions League group stage at the eighth attempt.

Stanojevic, like many impressionable young managers, is an avid fan of Wenger and the way his team play the game and will take the opportunity to learn from the veteran Frenchman at close quarters. "What can you say about Arsenal, the team that, along with Barcelona, plays the most beautiful and most attractive football in the world?" he pondered.

"There is no need for me as a young coach to comment on Wenger. I was at one of his summer coaching forums, monitoring Arsenal and their style of play. My way of thinking in football is a way of how to reach the goal from greater possession of the ball - so what do you now think about how much I like the way Arsenal play?"

There is no doubt that in Stanojevic, Partizan have found a perfect fit. It is difficult to imagine another manager watching their team in Europe this week who will have the same level of emotional investment in the outcome; no other manager has had to live in their team's city while war raged around them to get where they are today.

Belgrade was capital of the former Yugoslavia, but when the Federation disintegrated in the 1990s, the city was for the best part of a decade the focal point of almost continuous war. The conflict ended in 1999 when NATO bombed Serbia to force the Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic to withdraw his security forces from Kosovo.

Despite brief spells in Spain with Atletico and Real Mallorca and one in Hungary with Videoton, Stanojevic has lived in Belgrade his entire life and he will never forget what the people of the city have had to go through.

"I had nothing to do with it, but the war has had a little influence on me," he says. "Of course I was thinking about leaving the country while it was going on, but in the end I decided to stay. Emotionally, though, everyone knows that we as a people have been through a lot of stuff."

The mere fact that Arsenal are returning to Serbia after a 32-year absence (when they lost 1-0 at Red Star) should be a cause for celebration, but there's no doubt Stanojevic will want more than that to remember his day by.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanstevenson/2010/09/young_partizan_coach_targets_a.html

If we win one more match all season, please let it be this one:twisted: :twisted:
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
Report: Partizan Belgrade 1-3 Arsenal FC

By Richard Clarke at the Stadion FK Partizan

Arsenal took a giant stride towards the Knockout Stages of the Champions League with a 3-1 win at Partizan Belgrade on Tuesday night.

After a sticky start, Arsène Wenger’s side seemed to have taken control when Jack Wilshere provided a wonderful assist for Andrey Arshavin to score in the 15th minute. However they were pegged back just after the half-hour when Denilson handled in the area and Cleo slotted home from the spot.

Arsenal should have regained the lead 10 minutes after the restart when Marouane Chamakh was hauled down by Marko Jovanovic. The defender was dismissed but Arshavin saw his penalty saved by Vladimir Stojkovic.

However, 19 minutes from time, Chamakh pounced to nod home after his own header had come back off the bar. And in the 83rd minute, Sebastien Squillaci grabbed his first Arsenal goal by steering a home a header from Samir Nasri’s cross.

The finale may have been much more nervy had Lukasz Fabianski not turned aside Cleo’s late penalty.

However, in truth, this was an Arsenal victory with something to spare.

A game of three penalties leaves Arsenal with six points out of six in Group H. They are tied with Shakhtar at the top. Braga and Partizan have yet to get off the mark

With Chelsea in mind, Wenger shuffled his side this evening. As a result the Gunners were not 100 per cent fluent or watertight but, in a difficult atmosphere, they did more than enough to deserve the victory.

If they do the same in similar circumstances at Stamford Bridge, then Arsenal’s season will be right back on track.

Before kick-off, Wenger made a whopping six changes from the side that had lost to West Brom on Saturday.

The headline alteration saw Fabianski take the gloves from the injured Manuel Almunia (elbow). Elsewhere, Kieran Gibbs replaced Gael Clichy on the left of the defence and Johan Djourou came in for Laurent Koscielny in the middle. It was the Swiss defender’s first Champions League appearance since he started against Manchester United at Emirates Stadium in the Semi-Final second leg on May 10, 2009.

Wilshere and Denilson were brought into central midfield while captain Tomas Rosicky was on the right. Nasri and Emmanuel Eboue dropped to the bench but Abou Diaby was out with a recurrence of the ankle injury he first collected against Bolton on September 11 but had tweaked against West Brom at the weekend.

The Stadion FK Partizan was the expected pot-boiler pre-game. The home fans took their seats early and sang very, very loudly. A number of partial power failures gave the prelude a sense of unease. But the game started in dim light then it gradually got much brighter.

The same could be said of Arsenal’s first half-hour. The visitors were under the cosh in the opening stages. In the eighth minute, Cleo broke clear on the left with Squillaci in pursuit. The Brazilian-born striker reached the corner of the six-yard area but dallied enough for the Frenchman to catch-up. Cleo tried to feed a ball back into the path of Nemanja Tomic but Denilson scuffed it away from his feet at the vital moment.

A minute later Pierre Boya stretched a toe onto the ball as Squillaci tried to shepherd a header back to Fabianski. Fortunately the keeper recovered.

In the 12th minute Cleo profited on a slip by Djourou and fired wastefully over the bar.

The Arsenal goal was receiving much more attention so Arshavin’s opener was somewhat of a surprise. But its quality was exquisite.

The Russian collected the ball in midfield and found Wilshere before racing into the area. The Englishman was surrounded and seemed to have lost control. However he backheeled the ball back into the path of Arshavin, who drilled it low past Vladimir Stojkovic.

The goal quelled Partizan’s early appetite for attack and suddenly Arsenal were on top.

Wilshere and Arshavin nearly combined for a second in the 24th minute but the Russian was denied by a fine save from Stojkovic.

In fact only the former Wigan keeper stopped Arsenal killing the game by the half-hour. Two minutes later he rushed out to deny Rosicky after Arshavin had prodded him through.

The Russian then clipped a shot over Stojkovic only for defender Jovanovic to hook the ball to safety.
Having been caught cold in the opening minutes, Arsenal suddenly seemed to be strolling.

And then they tripped up.

In the 33rd minute, the visitors half-cleared their lines and the ball fell to Radosav Petrovic on the left. His tossed a cross to the edge of the area and Denilson was adjudged to have handled. Cleo sent Fabianski the wrong way from the spot and, quite unexpectedly, a game that Arsenal seemed to be killing off was alive again.

Having got back on level terms, Partizan tried to press home their advantage. The visitors had been knocked off their stride by the equaliser but were happy enough to see off the half so they could regroup.

To be honest, Arsenal were still working their way back into the game when they were given the perfect opportunity to regain the lead in the 55th minute. Arshavin sent Chamakh clear through the middle and he was hauled down by Jovanovic just inside the area. The referee pointed to the spot and then gave a red card to the Partizan centre back.

Having seen Rosicky miss at Sunderland and with Nasri, who had converted twice at Tottenham, on the bench, Arshavin stepped up.

His effort had power but was straight at Stojkovic. The keeper saved with his legs.
It was another blow to Arsenal but they still had that numerical advantage and set about making it pay.

In the 67th minute, Wilshere wriggled clear from his marker and darted into the area. Only a perfectly-timed challenge from Mladan Krstajic stopped him going through on the keeper.
A couple of minutes later, Arshavin’s bobbling shot was plucked out of the air.

It seemed that Arsenal had found some fluency again – and they proved it in the 71st minute. Rosicky sent over a hanging cross from the right to Chamakh at the far post. The Moroccan planted his first header against the bar and reacted first to nod home the rebound.

It was a traditional English centre-forward’s goal. Albeit from a player of African descent who was raised in France.

With seven minutes left, Squillaci popped up at the near post to nod in a corner from substitute Samir Nasri. That seemed to be that.

However seconds later, Gibbs clipped Ivan Stevanovic on the right of the area and referee Wolfgang Stark awarded another spot-kick.

Cleo stepped up once more but this time Fabianski flung himself to his right to turn the ball around the post.

In injury time, the Pole made an even better stop from Ivica Iliev.

A satisfying night for Arsenal and a solid boost of confidence before Sunday’s massive match at Stamford Bridge.
http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3315112/first-team/partizan-belgrade-v-arsenal?tab=report

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Great win this morning. Jack Wilshere once again outstanding, that pass for Arshavin's goal was just outstanding. I honestly think he might almost be ready to take over from fabregas, he has almost the same impact on the team when he plays, we just seem to be a better team.

This match also has some good consequences for later in the tournament for the return leg at the Emirates against Partizan we have Man Utd the week after we play them and we should be qualified by then which will let Wenger rest a fair few players and still get the result needed.

I think Keiran Gibbs coming straight back from injury and straight into the starting team shows that Wenger's patience with Clichy might just be running out and tbph Gibbs is probably a better option at LB than Clichy now and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on Monday against Chelsea.

Also Alex Song is starting to piss me off. Against West Brom he was playing as if he was some fucking box to box midfielder. You're a defensive midfielder you protect the back four don't go off running like a lunatic. Then this morning always trying to play that eye of the needle pass. Just keep it simple ffs.

Edited by sydneycroatia58: 29/9/2010 03:15:02 PM
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

didn't see the game, but i heard fabianski actually did well! :shock: 8-[

it says on arsenal.com, wenger said 'we saw the fabianski we see in training'

he wasn't that impressive was he?
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Remember this is the same Arsene Wenger that called Fabianski world class :lol:

I live Arsene but I can't take anything he says about Fabianski seriously.

As for the match, he didn't have to much to do, but did well when called upon. Couldn't do anything about the goal, made a great penalty save and then a brilliant save in injury time. I hope this is a turning point for him but not going to get worked up over 1 match.

Also what is it with our keepers and saving penalties. Fabianski saves his this morning and Almunia has saved 5 of the last 6 penalties he's faced.
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class

very happy about the gsme, just hoper we can build on momentum now for this weekend
Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend

sydneycroatia58 wrote:
Remember this is the same Arsene Wenger that called Fabianski world class :lol:

I live Arsene but I can't take anything he says about Fabianski seriously.

:lol: thought he still might be deranged

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

It's beginning to seem like Israel and the US with Fabianski being Israel and Wenger the US where Fabianski just can do no wrong in Wenger's eyes:lol:

Also good to see Squillaci get off the mark this morning with his first goal for the club.

Arshavin is now the top scorer in all competitions with 5 ahead of Walcott and Chamakh on 4.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Wenger waits on Fabregas and Almunia[/size]

Arsène Wenger may leave it as late as Saturday morning before finally deciding if Cesc Fabregas will be involved against Chelsea this weekend.

The Arsenal captain has been out with a hamstring injury since the 1-1 draw at Sunderland on September 18 and, speaking to TV Online on Thursday, his manager suggested the midfielder's chances of playing at Stamford Bridge on Sunday were less than 50:50.

Manuel Almunia has not had a full training session since injuring his elbow against West Brom last Saturday so Wenger is also unsure if he will figure. However, the manager did confirm that Thomas Vermaelen (Achilles) is out while Abou Diaby (ankle) is certain to be in the squad even if he is not quite fit enough to start.

“I don’t know [about Cesc]” said Wenger. “It looks a 50:50 but a 50:50 balancing on the negative side. I will find out on Saturday morning.”

Talking about Almunia, he added: “That one is even more difficult. He has not been in a regular training session. So I will see.

“Vermaelen – no,” Wenger went on. “Abou Diaby has an 80 per cent chance to be involved. I am not sure if he will be completely 100 per cent but it is 100 per cent he will be in the squad.”

Meanwhile there was positive news about two of the longer term injuries.

“Nicklas Bendtner (groin) should be available after the international break,” said Wenger, “and Aaron Ramsey (leg) is progressing very well.”
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-waits-on-fabregas-and-almunia

I think Fabregas will start on the bench. I think unfortunately Fabianski will start in goals. The defence pretty much picks itself but I'd have Gibbs in instead of Clichy and I think we'll start with Song, Nasri and Wilshere in the midfield, we have to that is our best midfield this season. I think we'll then have Chamakh up top with Rosicky on the right and Arshavin on the left.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
[size=6]Wenger - Strength is not all-important[/size]

By Chris Harris

Strength is not the only factor that will decide Sunday’s London derby, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Frenchman takes his Arsenal squad to Stamford Bridge this weekend to face a Chelsea side that has won the last four meetings between the teams.

Carlo Ancelotti’s team will have a significant height and weight advantage – a recent study showed their players are on average two stones heavier than Arsenal – but Wenger does not believe that is decisive.

"What for you is physical strength?” asked the Arsenal manager at his pre-match press conference.

“How can you explain how Spain won the World Cup and Barcelona beat Chelsea in the Champions League?

“Football is not only down to physique. It's down to intelligence, technique, mobility. There is not one way. That's what makes it interesting.

“Did Didier Drogba score last week?” added Wenger. “No he didn’t, he played against Kolo Toure.

“When Toure played here you said he could not handle him. Suddenly when he moves to Manchester City he’s stronger.”
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-strength-is-not-all-important

I agree strength isn't all importanmt, but I don't particularly like having a team of midgets
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
Preview: Chelsea - Arsenal

By Richard Clarke

“I don’t believe in history because if history was predominant things would never change,” mused Arsène Wenger ahead of the trip to Chelsea on Sunday.

“Spain had never won the World Cup until 2012 but, when they had a good team, they won it.

“For me success starts with good players, it’s not the history that dictates the results. History dictates preconceived ideas and you can only lose games with preconceived ideas.

“We have to show we are good enough to win this game. We have to make our own history now. And you have to make your history by turning up with good performances.”

There you have it.

The Arsenal manager clearly fancies the job at Stamford Bridge this weekend.

Yes, he has spoken with similar confidence and eloquence before only to be disappointed. And, on Sunday, he is not only battling recent history but a clutch of injuries to senior players. Yet, despite all that, you still can’t help but be pulled along by the tide.

Chelsea’s bubble of invincibility was pricked last Saturday at Manchester City. However Arsenal failed to capitalise because they turned in a ragged performance themselves against West Brom later the same day.

Both sides had rejuvenating wins in Europe during midweek so Wenger argues they are in a similar state of mind going into a game that, perhaps surprisingly, he suggests is the litmus paper for Arsenal’s title chances it has been hyped up to be.

However Chelsea’s record – that history he wants to re-write – is hard to ignore. The Frenchman celebrated 14 years in charge on Friday and for the first decade was virtually unblemished against the Stamford Bridge side.
But that has all changed in recent times.

Arsenal have won only two of the last 17 League and Cup meetings. Chelsea won each of the past four games. They will be without Frank Lampard (groin) on Sunday but then he was never the only problem anyway.

“Chelsea have all kinds of strengths,” admitted Wenger.

“But you have the form on the day, the desire on the day, the sharpness on the day and you have our collective quality - all that can give us an advantage.

“It will be decided on very little things like every game at this level.

“Nobody can hide. I know approximately what we want to do and I’m confident we will turn up with a great performance.”

Cesc Fabregas (hamstring) and Manuel Almunia (elbow) were ruled out on Friday. Robin van Persie (ankle), Nicklas Bendtner (groin) and Theo Walcott (ankle) are still out but Abou Diaby has recovered enough from his ankle injury to make the squad. Whether he makes the starting XI is a different matter.

Injuries mean the strength of Arsenal’s season has already been resting on the shoulders of their young squad. If Chelsea have similar problems they will do likewise. You can argue that Carlo Ancelotti’s first XI is better than Wenger’s if you like but, these days, the Frenchman certainly has a greater depth of experience. Chelsea are now bolstering their bench with younger players.

“They announced they wanted to balance their accounts,” said Wenger, “so they go as well for a youth policy.

“It’s the first time I have seen some of their young players in their squad. They have become sensible, they have become like us. Manchester United as well. That’s good news because it levels the competition.

“But it’s not easy to do because you pay the education of young players with points.”

It was an ironic topic to bring up this weekend because, for the last couple of seasons, Arsenal have been accused of being too young and too weak to stand up to the experience and strength of Chelsea. For example, at Friday’s press conference, Wenger had to field specific questions on how he might stop the might of Michael Essien and Didier Drogba.

The influence of the Ivorian is understandable. In the 15 Arsenal v Chelsea games since he joined, Wenger’s record is W0 D3 L9 when he has played and W2 D1 L0 when he has not. Statistically he is the closest thing you will find to a footballing nemesis but, speaking to the media, Wenger cautioned against ‘obsessing’.

The striker hogged the headlines by bagging both goals in last season’s fixture by the midway point of the first half however Wenger saw the game differently.

“Last year, when we lost 2-0 at Chelsea, we had 60 per cent of the possession but we were caught twice on the break in the first 20 minutes,” he said.

“We conceded from the corner – we had a misunderstanding - and after that we got caught again. We had a lot of the ball but we couldn’t score.”

This is most important fixture so far this season in the mini-League that so often determines the title. The battle of the ‘Big Four’ has tended to be, in effect, the battle for the title.

The only major exception was in 2006/07 when Arsenal took 14 points from their games with Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool yet finished fourth with an overall tally of 68 points. Manchester United won the title with 86 points, of which only 11 had come against their big-name rivals.

"The only team I've seen win the Premier League without winning the big games is Man United,” said Wenger. “For me it is vitally important to win the big games.

“There is frustration that we have been close every year [to the title]. I am completely confident in the attitude of the team, I don’t question that. But first of all we must acknowledge that we play in a top-level environment.

“We were hugely frustrated on Saturday night [after losing to West Brom] but we responded quickly and in a strong way. Sunday will be a big game to show we can compete at that top level.

“We’ll grow in belief even if it’s a draw and if we play well. But we want to win.”
http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3293521/first-team/chelsea-v-arsenal?tab=preview

I'm always scared playing against Chelsea but I get the feeling we might sneak something. These games where we go in massive underdogs are games where we usually play out of our skins.
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
U18s: Arsenal 3-2 Norwich City

Arsenal Under-18s survived a late comeback to squeeze home 3-2 against Norwich City on Saturday at London Colney.

Nigel Neita put the home side ahead just past the hour but, just four minutes later, the visitors won a penalty. However Damien Martinez celebrated signing a professional contract at the club by saving from Matt Ball’s spot-kick.

Arsenal would punish the mistake almost immediately. Josh Rees and Lorenzo Ebecilio scored within a couple minutes of each other to leave Arsenal 3-0 ahead.

But Remy Gordon reduced the arrears in the 79th minute and then Daniel Boateng put through his own net in the final seconds. However Arsenal held on.
http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3311335/youth/arsenal-yth-v-norwich-city-yth?tab=report

Gooner4life_8
Gooner4life_8
Legend

i'm always nervous against chelsea as well, the only team in england where i really think we don't have much of a chance, i'm always quite confident against united and other big teams but against chelsea, our past record against them always worries me
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Well we did last beat them at Stamford Bridge only 2 years ago.

Quote:
Wenger - Chamakh won't hide at Chelsea

Arsène Wenger believes Stamford Bridge can be a happy hunting ground for Marouane Chamakh on Sunday.

The Moroccan striker has enjoyed a flying start to his Arsenal career, scoring four goals in his first nine appearances and contributing a number of assists too.

Chamakh's physical presence has given Arsenal added impetus going forward and Wenger expects him to make his presence felt against John Terry and company this weekend.

"He is a player that gives something more than his quality to the team because he has a desire to win and a desire to give to others as well," said Wenger.

"He makes other players look good around him. He believes he can win, he is a winner. He isn't someone who hides in front of physical challenges."

Chelsea have a physical striker of their own of course - Didier Drogba has scored 12 times in 12 appearances against Wenger's side. So can Chamakh give Chelsea similar problems?

"He has the potential to do it but let's see on Sunday," replied Wenger.
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-chamakh-won-t-hide-at-chelsea

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend

Quote:
Wenger - We are ambitious to be No 1

Arsène Wenger has defended Arsenal's record over the past five years as he prepares to face Chelsea this weekend.

Since Arsenal's ‘Invincibles' went through the 2003/04 campaign unbeaten the Blues have won three titles, three FA Cups and two Carling Cups.

Over the same period Wenger's side have lifted one FA Cup but the Frenchman called for some perspective ahead of Sunday's clash at Stamford Bridge.

"I am not happy we have not won the Premier League but we have not been completely in the desert," he said.

"We have been in the Champions League Final, we have been close to winning the Premier League. We have not been seventh or eighth. We have always been there.

"You have to acknowledge that Chelsea have been better than us in the last five years. We are in a league where teams win the Champions League - it's difficult.

"But we are in the top eight in Europe, we have never been higher than now in the whole history of the Club. You can't say we aren't ambitious to be No 1.

"Do you think I work 24 hours a day to wait for another season? Of course I want this to be the season and I will give absolutely everything for it to be the season. I want to win the game on Sunday and I'm convinced we will win the game on Sunday."
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-are-ambitious-to-be-no-1

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search