Inside Sport

Oz media coverage of Asian Cup

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2109001.aspx

By Decentric - 30 Jan 2015 5:15 PM

I've looked to see if there are any other threads on this, but cannot see any.

Today in the local Murdoch tabloid, a local cyclist winning a big event, the tennis and World Cup cricket in a few weeks, which still has not started, have taken precedence over the Asian Cup final in column space. The Socceroos are playing in it too.](*,)

Given that the whole of Asia, pretty well, thinks football is its number one sport, and that Australia is so keen to engage with Asia in trade, why is this media scenario occurring?

Surely football takes precedence?

I am also a passionate cricket follower, but only about 4 nations in Asian play cricket.

Some other forumites, including Electroschock, have advanced cogent arguments about tennis's status, but surely football is the big event in Australia ATM?

Thoughts?
By Heineken - 3 Feb 2015 1:01 AM

paulbagzFC wrote:
SWandP wrote:
Mark457 wrote:

Brisbane no doubt have a strong footballing culture within the metropolitan outside of that it is pretty much rugby.

Nah. There are football teams from the top of the State to the bottom and they've been there for decades. The State League covers 1600 km of coast line. The "old" State League from back in the 70's covered from Mareeba in the north (Frank Farina) all the way down to the Gold Coast.

Ol' Kasey Wehrman originated in Cloncurry FFS. Mitch Langerak was born in Emerald and played at Across the Waves in Bundaberg. Shroj was from Innisfail if I remember and Caravella from Cairns? It goes on and on. The whole freakin State has a football presence.

The shit that people write about Queensland.

Corica was from NQ.

-PB

Aye. An Innisfailian IIRC.