Inside Sport

Ball watching

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2170080.aspx

By New Signing - 12 May 2015 10:37 AM

Here's one that im having trouble addressing at performance level.

Players are being continuously caught ball watching which is leading to far too much one out defending obviously opening up holes in what should be a compact defence.

Short of calling for all players to drop behind a certain point before actively defending im struggling for ideas, obviously it would be preferable to win the ball higher up the park, but unless we can defend as a unit in that area its not going to work
By theFOOTBALLlover - 4 Sep 2015 12:07 PM

There are many things to improving defending - ball watching is a bit of a broad term.

I like my teams to press but because when we press, the lines between the front 3 - midfield 3, midfield 3 - back 4 must be compact vertically and horizontally. I play with two CM's and a DM so I ask the CM closest to the ball to block the path from the opponents DEF to MID. This will suit your team when playing teams that play out from the back.

However, you need to have a variation for when a team plays long balls. Mine is simple. When a long ball is sent, one of the defenders challenges and the other 3 drop back and narrow a few meters in case of a mistake.

Generally, I focus on the defenders defending in a line and the team being narrow when BPO. I'm not going to go into more detail about the cues. That is something every coach needs to work out for themselves. I've been pretty successful defensively since I did my C license in 2013. Funnily enough, it was Ian Crook that gave me the initial idea at the course which lead to what I've been applying. I conceded 55 goals in 22 games in my first year of coaching so I had to be open minded about everything.

In FNSW State League, the team I coach had the 2nd least conceded goals in 2014 and the least conceded goals in 2015.