Inside Sport

Referees registration

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2199549.aspx

By Munrubenmuz - 9 Jul 2015 4:10 PM

Probably the wrong forum but anyway.

Thinking I'd do the right thing, seeing I'm not coaching any kids this year, I've done a referees course with my boy who wants some extra pocket money and so I can help out a few of the local clubs when they're short of officials.

Imagine my surprise to see an email today that informs me referees have to pay registration to be a referee. Are you friggin kidding me? (I already pay $270 to play in the over 35's.)

I said fair enough to the $80 course cost because the instructors are giving up their weekend and I got a flag and a whistle. I paid up through gritted teeth when I had to get a referees shirt ($35) but now I'm pissed.

It's not like there's money in it that makes it worth your while for an adult. It's $10 for a junior line and $15 for a junior centre. ($25 for a senior line, $50 for a centre). I've been assigned 2 games next weekend that will have me at the grounds for 4 and a half hours for the princely sum of $25.00.

I'm not doing it for the money, I'm doing it to help out but seriously they have to be joking to ask me to give up half a Saturday for that and then ask for registration fees.

Maybe I'm deluded but I would've thought this is the sort of thing the FFA should be spruiking for.
By Munrubenmuz - 10 Jul 2015 9:36 AM

The Maco wrote:
Not sure where you're from munrub but down here for FFV we have to pay $100+ at the start of the season to be registered and has to be done every season, not every week like you have to

There's a little misunderstanding there. I'm not paying it every week. (NSW). It's a one-off registration payment. The fees I listed are what you get paid for the lines and the centres.

From the posts here it seems to be standard across Australia but I'm still blown away.