Inside Sport

Football books

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2285905.aspx

By Decentric - 22 Dec 2015 11:50 PM

I've pretty well finished reading Tim Cahill's recent book.

He seems a nice sort of bloke, but there are some very interesting omissions in it. Given it is the first autobiography/biography I've read from a Socceroo who has been part of the game from pre 2005 onwards, it makes it more interesting.

The glaring omissions were:

1. There was never any mention of the regime of FFA taking over in 2005. There was absolutely nothing about this. However, I've skipped over a few bits.

2. There is never any reference to the HAL, or for that matter, the NSL. Nothing about the HAL as a playing option for Australian players. All he talks about is his time playing at Milwall, Everton, the MSL and the C League. He never once considers the HAL as a viable playing option for himself.

3. There is absolutely no acknowledgment of the FFA's NC. There is nothing about the playing style of the national teams since the take over, of Guus, Pim, Holger and Ange.

4. Cahill's major aim when he talks about putting back into the Aussie game is to run his money making football school. He also expresses frustration that it should be under the auspices of FFA using accredited coaches. Cahill brings some guy out of from Everton as a supposed paragon of football knowledge to coach the kids in his money making football school.

Cahill seems to give no consideration for a decided change in training from different coach education in Australia.

5. For the South African World Cup Qualifying campaign from 2007 - 2009 under Pim, he sums the entire two years in one sentence - that it was difficult. Given Australia had never, ever undergone a campaign through Asia over a few years this is perplexing.

6. On his World Cup coaches these comments are not as bemusing:

Hiddink - Cahill talked a lot about Guus being unapproachable and distant.

Verbeek - not one word about Pim in the entire book.

Holger - in two sentences or so described him as a good tactician and was disappointed he was sacked.

Ange - a bit like Guus, Cahill talked a lot about Ange watching his every move in camp and that he has never felt secure about his starting position or continued selection. In one comment he described playing in triangles a lot in Socceroo training under Ange.

7. On some of his teammates:

Kevin Muscat - only mentioned him once - because he was injured in a FA Cup semi. Given Muscy was an Aussie who captained the same club, Milwall, I'm gobsmacked he warranted so little coverage.

Cahill went on and on about Rhino Stevens and Paul Ifill at MiIwall, and Phil Neville and a Spanish guy at Everton - Artega?

Lucas Neill - also a former Milwall and Socceroo teammate and supposed friend, Neill warranted barely a sentence.

Most of his Golden Generation Socceroo teammates in defensive positions were labelled as having little skill, compared to the forwards and attacking players in the same team. Many key Socceroos barely warranted a mention.

By dirkvanadidas - 13 May 2021 12:31 AM

A Game Model ans Accompanying Session Plans by Patrick j king

superb book (need decent eye site as drawings a bit small but ok i n  electronic version) if you are into dutch national curriculum