Inside Sport

Is playing NPL better than HAL?

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2358513.aspx

By Decentric - 10 May 2016 10:36 AM

One of the things that arises in football is the huge differential between the remuneration of top professional players, like Ronaldo and Messi, and players in the English Lower Leagues and the HAL.

Benjamin has alluded to some current NPL players in Victoria knocking back one year HAL contracts. He said if they have jobs paying 80 grand a year, they are not prepared to risk a 12 month HAL contract.

I'm not sure if South Melb's striker Lucic has been offered a HAL contact, but he is also a trained teacher.

If he works full time, he would be on between $65 00 to $90 000 per year as a teacher. In this state we have a number of trained teachers who play NPL football too. I once posted on a local football blog that one could have a career and still play the next level down from pro football by staying with the NPL.

A number of people have spoken to me about the comment I posted off line.

There is a book I haven't seen, elucidating how many Lower League English players almost regret playing lower level pro football, with the nominal remuneration and fickle existence.

In Australia I often see a number of footballers who to all intents and purposes play regular HAL football, like Bulloch, Howard and Pellegrino, from PG and Jets.

Then a few months later I've seen them in Victorian NPL clubs playing practice games. I'm often staggered how many HAL players are suddenly cut. If players have no trade, profession, or skill, it must be a roller coaster as a pro footballer with such great highs and lows.

In this state teachers can apply for three years leave without pay. If I were Lucic I'd have a go at HAL, if three years leave without pay is available in Victoria.

Another option is to work part time - one or two days a week, and see how it fits into a HAL program.

I've just heard of one HAL player who has played his first season in the HAL, being upgraded from NPL. Apparently it has taken him a whole season just for his body to get used to the rigour of pro football. He made some appearances off the bench late in the season.

Edited by Decentric: 10/5/2016 10:46:46 AM
By Soft News - 16 May 2016 3:21 AM

Same would work for some suburban footy players in Melbourne. Where some are earning 2000 a game. Combined with a day job, no need to go pro at AFL level.