Inside Sport

The Melbourne Victory Supporters Thread 2.0

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2459125.aspx

By paulbagzFC - 12 Dec 2016 2:18 PM

Seeing as the original just got deleted.

-PB
By someguyjc - 23 Apr 2024 12:52 PM

Leigh Broxham retires from professional football
https://melbournevictory.com.au/news/leigh-broxham-retires-from-professional-football/

Melbourne Victory can announce that Club legend Leigh Broxham will retire at the end of the 2023/24 Isuzu UTE A-League season.

After an incredible 18 seasons at Melbourne Victory, the A-League’s games record holder will call an end to his illustrious career that has seen him take part in four Championships, three Premierships and two Australia Cups at Melbourne Victory.

Having made over 450 competitive appearances for the Club in the A-League, Australia Cup and Asian Champions League, Broxham has also represented his country at senior international level in 2008, when he picked up his sole international cap against Singapore.

Broxham made his name in the competition for his incredible versatility and professionalism, playing in every position across the defence and midfield in his evergreen career.

Broxham reflected fondly over his time in football saying he was proud of not only his achievements at the Club, but the friends and memories he has made along his career.

“It’s been an incredible journey for me in professional football and now it’s time to close the book on this chapter of my life and open a new chapter for my family and I,” Broxham said.

“I’ve had moments and experiences in the game that will stay with me forever and I have made lifelong friends that only football can create and I will be forever grateful for that.

“Being at Melbourne Victory for 18 seasons is something that I am incredibly proud of. This Club has been a part of more than half of my life and I’d like to thank everyone, from the players, coaches and staff who have been a part of my journey over my career.

“But most importantly, I want to thank my family. My wife Sam and kids Sonny, Billie and Mila for being there every day for me. During the good days and the bad, the highs and the lows, my family has always supported me and I can not wait to be there for them in our next chapter as a family.”

Melbourne Victory Chairman John Dovaston thanked Broxham for his impact on the Club, and the influence he has had over the journey on our younger players as they developed into the squad.

“We thank Leigh for his enormous contribution to the Club. Leigh will always be a part of the Victory family, and we look forward to supporting him and his family as they embark on their next chapter.” Dovaston said.

Melbourne Victory’s Managing Director Caroline Carnegie also reflected fondly on Broxham’s career.

“Leigh’s journey from a football team assistant and gear steward to one of the most beloved figures in Melbourne Victory’s history is a story that will forever be a part of the fabric of this great Club,” Carnegie said.

“We are all grateful for what Leigh has contributed to Melbourne Victory and the A-Leagues in his 18 consecutive seasons as a player, and what will be many more as a Club legend, of course with Sam and the kids by his side.

“Leigh’s loyalty, professionalism and desire to win is all we ask from anyone who pulls on a Victory shirt. Broxy has been and will continue to be an example of what it means to be a part of Melbourne Victory, whether that be on the pitch, in the stands or in our offices.”

Melbourne Victory Director of Football John Didulica also lauded Broxham’s contribution to the Club.

“Leigh has been one of the great success stories of the A-League,” Didulica said.

“It’s unlikely that we’ll ever see a player enjoy such longevity and such success with one Club, possibly anywhere in the world, and we should pause for a moment and celebrate it.

“It’s a testament to Leigh’s qualities as a footballer coupled with his relentlessness which will see him step away from the field as the league’s all-time game’s record holder, multiple championship winner and capped Socceroo.”