Inside Sport

Club legend Thomas Broich to leave Brisbane Roar at the end of the A-League season

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2514530.aspx

By scott21 - 18 Apr 2017 8:06 PM

Club legend Thomas Broich to leave Brisbane Roar at the end of the A-League season

BRISBANE Roar legend Thomas Broich will leave the club at the end of the season, The Courier-Mail can reveal.

Yet to be guaranteed another contract from Brisbane coach John Aloisi, Broich will look elsewhere in the hope of extending his playing career.

Less than three weeks ago, Broich told The Courier-Mail he was shelving retirement plans to continue playing – preferably with the Roar – beyond this season.

But now, unless the Roar host the grand final, which is an outside chance, Brisbane’s elimination final against Western Sydney Wanderers on Friday night will be his last A-League match at Suncorp Stadium.

Brisbane Roar great Thomas Broich will leave the club at the end of the season.
“He (Aloisi) said at this point he didn’t know whether he could offer me a new deal and how much he could offer me, so it left me in a really uncertain position,” Broich revealed on Tuesday.

“While I totally respect that the club has to do what is has to do, I just cannot be in that kind of position.

“I thanked John for his honesty and made my call.

“Now we all have certainty. We all know what’s going to happen. The club knows, I know, and that’s a relief for me.”

The news is bound to sadden Brisbane supporters. Broich is a fan favourite and with good reason.

Since joining the club in 2010, the German playmaker has inspired the Roar to three A-League championships, has twice won the Johnny Warren Medal, awarded to the season’s best player, and claimed the Joe Marston Medal for being best on ground in the 2014 grand final.

Broich asked the Roar faithful not to be upset about his departure.

Thomas Broich celebrates scoring for Brisbane Roar against Adelaide United.
“We’ve got capable people in charge. They just chose one path, and this path happens to not include me, but I’m sure the Roar will be very competitive in the future,” he said.

“It’s never been about individuals at this club. The club has always been bigger than one player. It’ll be the same leading forward.”

“I understand about the club going forward. I’m 36 years old so if they want to go for a younger player, then fair enough, I’m not going to stand in anyone’s way.

“That’s just the reality that I have to live with now.

“I’m obviously a bit sad. I’ve loved my time here, and it’s coming to an end. All good things have to come to an end eventually.

“The positives outweigh all the other stuff easily. I had such a great time here, I’ve cherished every moment, and there’s still plenty to play for ¬ that’s all I will remember.”

Broich, whose Roar farewell tour will also include a midweek AFC Champions League match at Suncorp Stadium next month, isn’t sure where he will play next season.

But whether it’s for another club or perhaps in Asia, he believes he still has plenty to offer.

“There are players in the world who play on until they are 42. Why can’t I play on for another two or three years? I’m not injury prone. I’m amazed that I’ve played that many games this season,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/club-legend-thomas-broich-to-leave-brisbane-roar-at-the-end-of-the-aleague-season/news-story/98e8071a452582c710e67cfeb1603c9f
By RBBAnonymous - 20 Apr 2017 11:40 PM

FullBack4 - 20 Apr 2017 7:53 PM
WSF - 19 Apr 2017 9:37 PM

very clever. Have BRFC supporters stopped and considered how much Broich would command - $100k? $200k? $300k? and how much he could get at another HAL team or overseas? I don't see him dropping his demands and as BRFC have made him a millionaire over the recent few years he and his agent will still want the best salary possible. How much is he worth to them? another Hervas instead of a Kristensen or another Kurtishi instead of a Berihas or Maclaren? its a funny discussion when football supporters get emotional, its like watching teenage boys argue over a pretty girl, no thought just testosterone. How much are they prepared to risk to keep Broich? and why do football supporters feel they know more than the coaches with all their analysis and GPS data and medical history and squad knowledge and transfer target knowledge? Thomas Broich has acted like he's just fallen off his pedestal and he doesn't like the new view, so he thought he might bring BRFC down a peg or two in the process. some hero.

You are joking right. I think its fair to say that throughout this whole process Thomas Broich has acted with the utmost integrity. This includes his willingness to accept that he would no longer be a Marquee. Even though having Holman and Oar as Marquee players is a questionable decision. This despite having Broich literally stand aside so that Brisbane roar could start recruiting and retaining existing players, essentially allowing Brisbane to sign him towards the end of their recruitment needs. This is despite accepting that he might not always start matches even though he is still performing at a high level. He did not seek a request for a contract even though he was more than entitled to seek options a whole lot earlier. How you can think that Broich is trying to be a hero and take down BRFC a peg or two is beyond me. Brisbane needs a fucking wake up call on how to manage a team list and especially how to manage one of their best and most beloved players.