Inside Sport

Confused soccer dad

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2595251.aspx

By WestSydMan - 16 Nov 2017 5:17 PM

Hi all,

First time and apology if this is not the right forum. Been looking around for parent football forum for Australia and can't find one, so thought maybe good people in this forum can helped.

I'm a father of an 8 yrs old who is confused in how the different league works in Australia, I'm trying to find the right pathway for my son who is 8yrs old. Understandable he is still very young but I want to nurture his passion to make sure that he is going in the right direction. I read about academy system in EU and Spain and I can't see we have something like that here.

Recommended by a friend I took him for a trial at Blacktown Internation Soccer Park as there were 2 clubs that have trials for ages between 8-16yrs old. He got accepted to join the squad for U9 but I feel the routine and price they are asking for was too much. The squad trains 3 times a week and it will cost $1500/per child, and training will start Jan 2018 all the way to July. The other thing that surprises me was that every year he need to do the same trial to move to next year age group, which to me seems weird. At the end because of the heavy 3 days (1.5hrs per session) routine + the money I decided not to put him in as I feel it's too much for his age.

Can anyone with some experience help me and tell me what is the best way to go about for my son ?. I know that getting advice like this is not easy but I'm open to some ideas and suggestions.
By LFC. - 17 Nov 2017 4:30 PM

WestSydMan - 16 Nov 2017 10:51 PM
Thanks all for the kind feedback.

Forgot to mention that I did enrolled him for winter games this year and he enjoys it. I tried looking around for spring/summer games but there are nothing going on in local clubs. When we attended the trial I heard about SAP so was looking around and found this page http://www.ffacoachingresource.com.au/the-building-blocks/the-discovery-phase/

After reading through it I think this is something that I can use and implement myself for my son, just have to fine tune few things here and there to make it suitable for our needs.

What do all of you do to continue the kids to play during non-winter times normally ?

Were all playing 6aside summer comp in our area, we have at least 4 or more varying comps to chose from..
All meaning, my 2 sons in teams and myself in another.
We've been playing for years either Indoor Outdoor Comps..
Can't believe there isn't 6aside comps where your around for comps are on all over Sydney that I know of.
Look up your local Association for for sure it has a link to Summer Comps.