Inside Sport

Guess what Greg O'Rourke has up his sleeve

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2606736.aspx

By Buggalugs 2.0 - 18 Dec 2017 5:48 PM

"O'Rourke has foreshadowed a number of initiatives over summer to grow waning interest in the competition

“We’ve got an excellent understanding of the factors driving the current metrics and we’ve got a number of initiatives that will be launched in December and January which we feel will address the situation.” 

Just before he resigns/get sacked

What do you reckon we've got in store folks ?

By Shanagar - 21 Dec 2017 3:21 PM

Ah .. the 'chase'

In a thrilling new twist to the draw ...
“We have added a new feature to this season’s draw with all clubs playing each other twice between rounds 1 to 18,”
“The remaining nine rounds will see each club play each other once"

Yes, well bugger me, I hope the rest of the footballing world is taking note of just how Australia has gone out on a limb with this novel approach.
Has this really taken 11 or so seasons to get to this?
Admittedly the first 18 rounds are still not a straight 9 opponents from 1 to 9 then the 9 opponents again from 10 to 18, but they're moving in the right direction. 

Perhaps now address a few of the other basic fixturing issues ... that I'd also kindly pointed out to them in my fixtures submitted:
1) As per Premier League, last 2 rounds, every club must finish with 1 home and 1 away match.
No exceptions, just basic fairness to all teams and supporters no matter who they are.
This year, Sydney and Wanderers finish with 2 home games, Brisbane and Adelaide 2 away.
In prior years, some teams have finished with 3 at home, one year may even have been 4.

2) And again (as per Manchester), never have (as far as possible) Victory and City both playing at home one week, then both away the next.
You've got 2 teams in the one city, a very decent venue, make sure you have 1 football match in the city each round.
Just seems common sense - Why can't that happen?
Round 26 they are both playing at home, then both away for the final round of the season.
Probably not surprising - take out 3 derbies, and in 24 rounds they both play 8 times in the one round at home, and 7 times in the one round away from home.
It is just these basic things that can be done so much better.

And less of the excuses as to why this can't be done - ground availability, sponsor requests, blockbuster fixture required, broadcasting requirements, blah, blah, blah ... everything can be done, or at least done a lot better with a greater use of common sense and understanding.

Drat, this is my annual pre - season rant again.