Inside Sport

Only A League Academy with $0 fees/cost to play

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2616267.aspx

By Waz - 21 Jan 2018 1:23 PM

The BRFC Academy program for selected players aged 12-19 years will kick-off this Monday, 22 January at the state-of-the-art Queensland University of Technology (QUT) Kelvin Grove artificial training field.

The Club is excited about unlocking the unlimited potential in young footballers throughout Brisbane and Australia, helping to create another pathway for junior players to become future Hyundai A-League stars.

On behalf of BRFC, Academy Director Drew Sherman is pleased that the day has finally come to launch the Club's Academy program.

"This week we will create Brisbane Roar history with the implementation of our very own BRFC Academy program which is a wonderful milestone and achievement for our club," Sherman said.

"With the help of our high-level coaches, we are confident junior footballers within our program will be given the best possible opportunity to experience an elite football development pathway.

"We'd like to continue to have strong relationships with the local football community and work closely with all stakeholders to help promote the world game."

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

The BRFC Academy is Australia's only Hyundai A-League Academy which charges no fees to the players and covers all Football Federation Australia and State Federation registration costs.

The program will cater for players aged 12-19 years, with every team participating in the National Premier Leagues Queensland competition.

Each age group will have full-time coaches that hold or are completing their UEFA or AFC Pro Licenses - the highest coaching qualification available.

Part-time staff including a sports science team, GPS analysts, movement coaches, physiotherapists and teachers to cater for the holistic development of players.

There will be 107 registered Academy players that will train four times per week.

BRFC are committed to helping talented footballers across Queensland and on occasions, inter-state relocate through the excellent working relationships the program has with a number of local education providers.

https://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/news/brfc-academy-what-you-need-know
By Waz - 22 Jan 2018 9:30 AM

@ balki Scott

Not sure what I’m seeing with all those figures you’ve produced below. But there’s three separate arms to this beast.

The main Academy talked about here is for U12-U19’s and meets the FFAs requirements which I believe are compulsory for every A League club. The funding for this will come from the club/owners and not the participants

Below U12 are the “Academy Preparation Centers” in conjunction with (up to) 12 partner clubs. This is beyond the FFA requirements and seems relatively unique to Roar. This is under the same Academy umbrella but it is a different beast. The kids end up with dual-clubs, the partner club and Roar. I’m not sure how this will fit it with their normal development squads but I assume it replaces it in most cases?

This section is funded by rego fees to the partner club as usual and the partner club pays Roar an annual fee to participate in the academy prep program (Ive heard several different figures $30k, $42k, $48k mentioned which might suggest there is a different fee structure in place for clubs?).

I’m not involved in any partner club organisation but I am at another junior club level, such a few would represent 10% of our registration revenues each year which is not insignificant. We’re quite a large club so smaller clubs might find this in the 20-30% range, so they have to think this through carefully.

There’s a question as to whether this cost is passed on to participants, I don’t know the answer to that but there was a post from a partner club on twitter yesterday saying that rego fees for U7s had gone down as a result of the program not up.

People also have to understand the economics of junior clubs; in the past junior clubs have spent $25k hiring in the part time services of TDs from Private Brisbane Schools or bringing in football coaching companies at a cost of $10-$40k per season so investing this amount of money is not unusual.

The third leg of all this is the RAP which deals with U6s. Not particularly relevant but 75,000 kids x $50 = $3.75m in revenues and although that has a lot of cost associated with it (coaching staff, admin, equipment, vehicles, insurance, travel) it’s not hard to see this generating profit to sustain the development pyramid.

There is a great presentation on FB Live by Drew Sherman st a fan forum here:

https://m.facebook.com/BrisbaneFootballReview/videos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

(They’re not labeled unfortunately but it’s the 24th video from the top - press play and it’s obvious)