Inside Sport

World Cup Fans: Danish Vikings confident ahead of Socceroos clash

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2626769.aspx

By quickflick - 22 Feb 2018 1:51 AM

An excerpt from Darren Mara's report, for SBS, on 21 February, 2018

With Australia and Denmark facing off at the World Cup this year, SBS News meets a group of Danish expats playing the beautiful game in Sydney.

'World Cup Fans' is a special SBS News series running in the lead up to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. It looks at the 32 qualifying countries through the eyes of their fans in Australia.

Kristoffer... Kraen says most Danes believe the Socceroos won't cause them much trouble on their path to the Round of 16.

"I'm fairly certain that Denmark is going to beat Australia. I actually went to the game where you guys qualified against Honduras and it wasn't pretty. And if you look at the way Denmark qualified against Ireland, obviously a thrashing, 5-1. Christian Eriksen was insane, so I think we've got the star players and also the tactical skills to beat you significantly."

A perhaps more measured assessment came from Kraen's Vikings teammate Christian Bessmann.

"We have a very young team. I mean Christian Eriksen is the big star in the team but if he's out there's a lot missing for the team. Just as Kristoffer said, we'll win, but it's a World Cup and there's never an easy game in the World Cup."

The Socceroos face Denmark in Samara on June 21.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/world-cup-fans-danish-vikings-confident-ahead-of-socceroos-clash

Hope their team has the same hubris!
By grazorblade - 23 Feb 2018 2:56 AM

quickflick - 22 Feb 2018 5:09 PM
grazorblade - 22 Feb 2018 5:04 PM

Indeed. I would have Denmark as favourites on paper. But BVM makes a huge difference and he will be able to find weaknesses which can be exploited. Of course, we also have our myriad weaknesses. The good thing is that, we can reasonably expect our weaknesses to be less exploitable than they were in the qualification campaign.

can BVM put a land mine at rb and make the danish goals afl size?