Inside Sport

South Melbourne bid gets political [Comments]

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2654244.aspx

By FTBLbot - 17 May 2018 9:40 AM

By bohemia - 18 May 2018 10:43 PM

southmelb - 18 May 2018 5:24 AM
bohemia - 17 May 2018 8:16 PM

The reality is when you already have a stadium, facilities, hundreds of juniors etc you can afford to pace yourself in bid terms.

Team11 are similar to southern expansion, they HAVE to make bold statements. Wollongong are the NSW equivalent of South largely playing it quiet for now, and like South they already have something the start ups dont have.

The South Melb position is simple, if team11 are handed the $200 million+ required fair play to them. South doesnt need to beg for a venue to be built. Even a simple announcement of an extra stand being built at lakeside probably puts it ahead of the pack.

Go back to what i said the other day, if lakeside was in Dandenong this would already be over.

My gut feeling is team11 will not receive the funds required, the ffa will not give South a license not now or ever, expansion in Victoria will be bypassed all together.

SMFC needs to be in the top flight. What's best for SM is they get there in a way that inflicts the least harm on them in the process. To me that means the better bet is to support the second division and wait for pro/rel. To a point I think it quite disingenuous from FFA that SMFC step aside to allow a new national league then get charged upwards of 15 million to rejoin it. 

If Team11 is what they are promising then it's a no brainer. Agreed it's a big if.

When I'm dying of old age and looking back on the history of our game I think SMFC will be the club everyone talks about that did the most to shape the fortunes and structure of our game and bizarrely because of the measures used to exclude them from it. To those who rail against SM from the position of what impact they will have by being allowed in, they need to take stock of what impact they're having as outsiders as well. It is skewing the administration of our game in strange ways, and not just along the lines of ethno centric bias but also on an economic level.