Inside Sport

Do former pros always make the best coaches?

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2677998.aspx

By Decentric - 13 Jul 2018 1:51 PM

There  has been a view expressed elsewhere on this forum, that former pros always make the best coaches.

At the top level, Arriga Sacchi, Gerard Houllier, Jose Mourinho, Brendan Rodgers, Holger Osieck, current English coach, Steve Holland, and mooted HAL coach, Arthur Papas have not been finer pros.

I've coached with and know a lot of former pros. I'll go down the list of what they've done since their pro careers.

Player A 

Now  teacher and  former engineer, who played for one of the biggest NSL clubs. Huge ego, and has done no coaching since  his pro career, because he didn't like coaching  NSL Youth.

Player B

Former NSL player who dominated local league as a player after his NSL retirement. I replaced him as under 14 Southern Tas coach. FFA staff thought he sent players backwards, because he rejected the FFA NC and current plaining formations. Always coaches from sidelines in matches. Onus is now on doing it all on the training track, and letting players make their own mistakes. Lack of creativity inghis players. Controversial figure.

Player C

Former pro in Scottish league. Has done no coaching since retirement. Now an optometrist. Charming bloke.

Player D

Former pro with FC Koln. Qualified success as NPL coach. Great bloke. Very popular with players.

Player E.

Former pro with Panathanikos

Terrific bloke and successful youth NPL coach and senior  NPL level. I've done a lot of co-coaching with him. He thinks I coach too many concepts at once, compared to him. Very popular with players.

Player F

Former NSL player. Also a current chef. Another good bloke. Looked like he was going to coach NPL seniors after doing a lot of badges. Work interfered.

By Judy Free - 7 Aug 2018 3:52 PM

localstar - 19 Jul 2018 4:40 PM
Classic name dropping exercise from decentric.. without the names!

Still trying to justify the costs for that certificate of participation.