Inside Sport

Elite Honesty

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2712429.aspx

By Paddles - 5 Nov 2018 5:45 PM

Finch and Langer had a captain coach debrief after the first match with South Africa, and in the bonds of elite mateship, they asked how their elite honest days went:

Finch said to Langer - 'at the toss I gave total elite honesty:

Faf won the toss and said that Australia could bat - I said " no Australia can't, Australia really can't" and I walked back to the dressing room and saw Head and Short putting on screen and said "getting a bit optimistic aren't you?"'

'That's not quite elite honesty grasshopper'  replied Langer - "After I saw the grass on the pitch and Steyn warming up, I told them they would not need sunscreen for batting".

"Well" said Finch - "I told Nathan Coulter-Nile that the only reason that you wanted him to open the bowling is because he is Western Australian".

'That's still not quite elite honesty Finchy' replied Langer - 'I told him and the Marsh's both that the only reason that they're in team at all is because they're Western Australian.'

"I guess that is why you have a stadium named after you replied Finch" to which Langer replied "nah - that's because Slater lost his way and fellow and more talented WA player Damien  Martyn lost a close chase vs SA  and was dropped for years, further helped by the fact that Hayden didn't ever want to take the first ball and I would".

"Well I guess it is this insight that makes you such a great and winning coach then". "No" said Langer, "that's Dean Plunkett".

Finch was shocked at this level of elite honesty and said "well I saw this week a former Australian great captain  Ian Chappel called Mark Taylor window dressing on the CA Board - is this the level of honesty required to be a great Australian captain?" to which Langer replied - "Does Tubby Taylor look like window dressing to you? Tubby said it himself - he's not pretty enough for that euphemism!"

"So how will I be a great Australian captain with elite honesty then?" replied FInch.

Langer retorted, "only one Australian captain I played under won in India, Adam Gilchrist" to which Finch replied - "oh that wicket keeper who is famous for walking, pffffft - I am far more elite honest than him - I don't even review! Bring it on India!".

By Paddles - 8 Nov 2018 1:30 PM

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25199441/let-talk-notion-elite-honesty

Heh - this is very well written piece on elite honesty.

Its message is simple and apt, and I agree with the sentiment. Langer has made it more difficult now for Australian players.