Inside Sport

Greats in cricket who have been underrated

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2728088.aspx

By Decentric - 17 Dec 2018 10:30 PM

Last night I looked up Nathan Lyon's figures to discover he is a great!

He has something like 333 wickets in 81 Tests!

He is 25th in ranking number of Test wickets of all bowlers to play international  cricket.

GOAT is 4th highest Aussie wicket taker after Warne, McGrath and Lillee, yet he has had such a low profile and media interest in comparison.

Lyon is the 7th top spinner of all time for all cricket nations.

GOAT isn't the only one.

tWhen I looked a stats, Sangakarra is in the top 10 batters of all time in run aggregates. He accumulated over 10 000 runs, with possibly the highest average of 58. Yet I've barely heard of him. Why? He has hardly played Test cricket in Australia.

Ditto his spinning teammate, Herath. Until the last series against Sri Lanka , I'd barely heard of him. Why? Herath is ahead of  Lyon in international  wicket taking ranks.

It may have been Baggers today, but he mentioned BJ Watling is also a pretty decent wicketkeeper/batter, boasting  a batting average of 38. He  is virtually unknown in Australia.

From what I've seen in New Zealand it is harder to score runs than here. Players like Richard Hadlee and Martin Crowe had  huge profiles  in Australia, but few Kiwi players have since. Yet Kane Williamson is currently ranked  third in the world as a batter. Relatively, he has had  a low profile too.

Thoughts?
By baggygreenmania - 27 Dec 2018 9:39 AM

Decentric - 26 Dec 2018 9:36 AM
grazorblade - 26 Dec 2018 9:27 AM

Wow!

A failure!

I've found Cricinfo the same - more difficult to navigate than it is used to be.

STATSGURU (Cricinfo stats) fellars.