Inside Sport

Should Irvine start over Rogic?

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2831572.aspx

By Bunch of Hacks - 13 Sep 2019 7:58 AM

Serious question... Irvine v Rogic.. who is better? 

For the last several years i wouod have said Rogic easily (hes my fav player after all), but after watching Irvine the other night and thinking about it further i think irvine might be the more effective! 
Reminds me of cahill 02- 06, not as much technical quality and flair as kewell/viduka but mental and physical attributes combined with sound technique make him outstanding. Irvine has quite literally been the outstanding player at his last 3 clubs Ross County, Burton Albion and Hull. Captaining all 3 i believe. His physical qualities are obvious but whats overlooked liked cahill is his shooting and heading ability, but also the fact he can drive at opponents with the ball at his feet. I remember someone made a youtube of his game against celtic for ross county few years back and he must have had the most successful dribbles by far that game and from defensive midfield was very surprised.  The closest player Australia has ever produced to the great box to box mids of the 00's like Lampard/Gerrard/ yaya Toure. 

So yeah all in all im picking Irvine and think he has several more levels in him
By phreeky - 13 Sep 2019 10:30 PM

I agree that Rogic is only somebody you want if you know which Rogic is showing up. I cannot recall who it was against, but he was thrown into a Celtic game once as a defensive midfielder and thrived - however he was going through a great period generally. That's the kind of Rogic you want, but it feels like you only get him about 1/10 of the time. Sure he has had some problems with his body, but most of it looks to be a mental problem, he just isn't strong mentally.

I don't mind having an attacking midfielder prepared to take some risks with solid players like Mooy and Irvine around him, however I would like to see that player be Arzani when he is ready. If he isn't ready and Rogic is then perhaps he is worth trying again. Who else do we have to try and break down a solid defence?

Borrello didn't impress me against Kuwait. I haven't watched him play in Germany, however he didn't ever look likely to get past his man, not like we know Leckie can.