Inside Sport

Olyroos put five past China's U23s in Olympic qualification preperation [Comments]

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2853947.aspx

By Inside Sport Bot - 16 Nov 2019 11:42 AM

Olyroos put five past China's U23s in Olympic qualification preperation

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/olyroos-put-five-past-chinas-u23s-in-olympic-qualification-preperation-534065

By crimsoncrusoe - 18 Nov 2019 8:45 PM

melbourne_terrace - 17 Nov 2019 12:24 PM
crimsoncrusoe - 17 Nov 2019 11:41 AM

Idk what your getting at but if you think the style of government is holding back teams, then you only have to look at performances from Eastern European states between 1960-1990 to know that it's not true.

The Soviet Union were champions once and runners up 3 times in the Euros and won Gold at in both the 56 and the 88 olympics (the second after professionals were allowed). Yugoslavia made the finals twice at the euros. Poland, East Germany and Hungary (multiple times) were also Olympic champions.

In club football, multiple teams across the Warsaw Pack went deep into UEFA tournaments and most notably Steau and Red Star Belgrade both won a European cup.

You raise an interesting  point.
Unfortunately i dont know much about what was happening in football 50yrs ago.
All I know is football is  a big money exercise,much more professional and the world has changed a lot.
50 years ago,aggression ,discipline ,drugs and who knows what else made it possible for less talented teams to dominate?
Then there is the fact that all these countries had a long history of football prior to WW2.
Football was played in all those countries you named prior to communism.

These days you look locally in East Asian countries and It's Japan and South Korea well ahead of the rest.
China are pumping huge money into football and maybe because of the sheer population of the country ,they will eventually get good players .
I just think there is a contradiction there in developing the skilful ,free spirited players in such an oppressive  environment ,where there is no football culture and conformity is required to survive.
Not impossible but difficult.