Inside Sport

Protocols on IS for discussion

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2867070.aspx

By Decentric - 31 Dec 2019 9:45 AM

Guys most of the time  on this cricket forum, posters have displayed  excellent  forum protocol.

That is politely engaging with other posters and respecting differences in a friendly manner. Don't wind people up, and goad and troll them.

However, over time, we've had occasional  issues of  nameless people who must suffer from mental health issues, suddenly completely losing it. This must be due to feelings of being in a depressed period in a cycle. I have quite a few friends who also  suffer  from mental health  issues off forum, who are difficult to deal with in low periods.

Best policy on this forum is  to constructively  engage with other posters, recognise differences and  move on. All of us simply proffer opinions. There is no right and wrong in sporting opinions on the internet.

I have been accused of not being a Mod on this forum and have no authority - true. But I was, being asked to perform  the job I wasn't seeking, and I resigned. I have also been subject to the vagaries of the internet. Once accused of something not  true, speculation repeated often enough, becomes an axiom. With no evidence, people can become villains. There is a lot more info about this elsewhere.

At one Shield game we met a lady watching her son play  for a visiting  team, who knew Mitch Marsh well. Sadly, he  believes  he is the most hated cricketer  in Australia on the internet. I think this is awful. He has been tried by judge and jury and found guilty, mainly by people with no professional background in cricket, and, with  no veritable  insights.

For the record I'm a Moderator on two other sites, and have been on another defunct one.  Currently, one for Relief Teachers and another for No Cashless Card. Again I didn't seek these jobs and share them mainly with many diligent female Moderators. On these sites people generally have to have  use their real identity too. I've had face to face friends justifiably banned by other Mods. I've also had to face down in public, people  who've been banned from sites where I've been a Mod.

When I was a Mod on this IS/FTBL site, other Mods were diffident about dealing with those afflicted with mental health issues. In that short time I also tried to set up protocols used from other sites,  and my profession, which I thought could improve this one.

Also, it is great if one wants to go off the thread topic,  set up a new thread - a luxury of IS.

Moreover, one can post as many posts  in succession on IS - as long as they are on topic - in succession.

Whirlpool is  comparatively very restricted. One can only post three successive posts, even if responding to more than three   different posters! Whirlpool Mods have stifled a lot of potential quality, cricket discussion I've seen IMO.

Just for mine I  don't have a playing background in cricket other than for the primary school and high school team.

I love technical and analytical posts  from others who know more  about  cricket than I do. Don't be shy adding your playing experiences, like Grazor did recently in a net session where he was bounced.  The best I can do is transfer insights from former and current FC and First Grade  players I know through TCA.

Cheers. 

By Decentric - 1 Jan 2020 10:42 AM

This is a topic designed to request all IS Cricket participants to display respect and consideration to other posters.

Particularly, with mental health issues in mind.

Forums are places to exchange views and respectfully recognise different perspectives  - then move on.