Inside Sport

The Victory rebuild for next season.

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2914080.aspx

By MarkfromCroydon - 11 Aug 2020 4:49 PM

O.k. So Nabbout and Donachie have been shipped off.

For me, both were serviceable A League players and I would have been happy for them both to stay. I suspect that they must have been getting paid below what they were worth and were able to get substantial pay rises to leave.

For me, it's not these types of guys that are the issue, but rather players that either are just hanging around and not seeming to make big improvements or players that are too 'one dimensional' and can't adapt.
Lack of improvement-
I liked Josh Hope, but he's been around for years and is still just a bit part player off the bench. I'd let him go and have a look at another kid.
Kenny has to go. He's promised a bit, but has not delivered and it's time to replace with a kid coming through.
One dimensional players-
Anthony Lesiotis. Look, he could be a handy defensive midfielder, but he has not shown he can take on any attacking responsibility.

Having said that, I reckon we should have enough room now for some good recruitment, provided we get a manager who's into that sort of thing!
By Barca4Life - 13 Aug 2020 2:33 PM

GrazeAnatomy - 13 Aug 2020 10:57 AM
The infusion of youth is good, but there's a long way before most of the youth are starters for the side. The players are promising, but they're still very raw - LLL has shown he needs a lot of refinement (I really don't think he can lead the line), Kirdar is a solid option but not someone who can really drive an attack, Barnett is functional as well but not able to break lines very effectively. The last 15 minutes or so of last night's game was pretty much a youth team playing, and they really struggled to progress the ball against WSW. Imagine that against one of the top teams.

I'm surprised that Carrigan didn't play at all in the few games since the restart. His contract ends this season - I wonder if he will still be around next season.

I expect to see a lot of squad movement for Victory, with the youth very much starting on the bench (aside from Kirdar and Anderson maybe). At least 2 wide players, 2 strikers, and 2 experienced defenders to come in, more if the Victory senior players are not retained next season. The squad has a decent core that can be built around - Rojas, Brox, Basha, Traore and Roux, and if they get recruitment right then they have a solid squad with a lot of room for development as they transition in the youth.

That is, unless Victory are happy to write off next season for youth development which I doubt the board will be happy with. Someone on the broadcast yesterday was talking about how they really need to sort out their manager fast - they can't make any signings until they know how their manager wants to play football. 

Good round up, I think LLL has got potential too but I feel he needs to be physically more stronger, he's still a bit of a light weight.

Barnett has potential as an lone No.6 maybe not an No.8 as you said he doesn't try to make the passes to break the lines.

Kirdar should be the No.10 if not they need to invest in one, the last one was very poor.

If Papas comes in, I hope he imposes the style of play Ange.

Apart from the Nix they are not many possession based teams in the league.