Inside Sport

Chinese company agrees to buy A-League team Newcastle Jets [Comments]

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2923683.aspx

By Inside Sport Bot - 23 Sep 2020 4:00 PM

By phutbol - 28 Sep 2020 8:36 PM

Roar in me Blood - 27 Sep 2020 10:12 AM
Just one more comment then I'll let it lie.

The character of an owner is relevant to football discussion. The game does not solely exist within the four corner flags or a stadium.

The US political discussion does not belong here but the Chinese government discussion does. In communist China there is no such thing as an independent company. If an owner or potential owner of any club was a convicted fraudster or paedophile, we would be discussing the situation just as much for the impact on our reputation and image, as much as on what it might actually mean physically and financially to the club and the game.

To label it "off track" or "three pages of political wanking" because you don't want to read about it or do not feel strongly about it does not make it irrelevant to either the thread or football.

I disagree strongly that the discussion was not initially relevant.

Good post. The only thing I'll add is that for as long as Chinese investment broadly is allowed in Australia by Australian law, and trade tensions or not at present we do still trade with China, I really don't see how or why FFA or anyone in football should stand in the way of this if the financial and moral credentials of the new owner (not the state) stacks up. Its not Australian Football's job or place to crusade against Chinese interests in this country or anywhere else. If the threat really is that serious our governments and diplomats need to protect us, not the FFA.

By the way, doesn't this forum have mods anymore? I'm sure some of the stuff in here would have been nipped in the bud in the past...