Inside Sport

Missing the A-league?

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2930628.aspx

By Davstar - 30 Oct 2020 12:47 AM

Full credit to SFC they dominated the league last season - but in all honesty due to COVID, SFC dominance, the way it ended without fans and the simple fact the AL is dry as f**k when one team runs away with the competition.  It does feel like the AL has been gone for a long time....normally the season commences when the AFL/NRL season ends. 

Although I constantly rip into the leagues poor structure and the FFA i do find myself missing the domestic competition. In the end of the day I love watching the EPL but outside of Manchester United i dont got the commitment to watch anyone else (unless that are at a socially acceptable time). The AL gives me football I can watch all weekend if im not up to much and having a small baby these days and being in lockdown (Victoria) for 6 months has made me 'miss' the AL and with the kick off still 9 weeks away it just feels crap not having the league back by now..... 

I know with the reduced sal cap and lack of foreign players the competition will probably be ass next season but i honestly cant wait to have it back.... 

Anyone else feeling the same? 
By Coverdale - 30 Oct 2020 2:58 PM

Waz - 30 Oct 2020 12:46 PM
df1982 - 30 Oct 2020 8:41 AM

I don’t think it is unfair - they planned to play out of a 20k stadium and would likely draw 5k crowds. 

Some vision might have been to cooperate in the redevelopment of McKellar Park and have 5,000 crowds in say an 9k stadium. 

Did Gallop treat canberra like sh*t. Yes he did. 

But was the canberra bid flawed. Yes it was. 

I agree with your last paragraph, and that’s exactly where they should be pitching - but not in an oversized stadium. 

Also Canberra simply fell short on the cash. That’s a fact