Inside Sport

A League club for Tas

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2944356.aspx

By Decentric 2 - 21 Jan 2021 4:54 PM

There is a new emerging bid.

For the first time a Tas Premier, Peter Gutwein, seems incredibly keen on an Tasmanian based A League team. From his perspective it appears to be putting pressure on AFL, but that sport has now become a TV spectator game in Tas.

The upper echelons of the national AFL  hierarchy have succeeded in destroying the local AFL state league and  Aussie rules participation numbers in general. AFL have knocked back a team from Tas for so long, just trying to recruit a few Tas players to play for AFL clubs in other states, the local Aussie rules players are rarely rarely good enough anymore. They don't have the numbers of kids  playing the sport, so they've reduced the catchment size. 

Bob Gordon, current Football Fed Tas CEO, and former political aspirant and operator, also elucidated the current bid a few minutes ago on the radio. For  the first time potential 5 000 -10 000 rectangular stadium sites are being discussed in the Hobart area, with potential investors.

I'm not sure if that includes Belteky/Stamoulis? They were the financial  backers of a previous bid that was the best FFA had ever received, but Gallop rejected it. Thankfully, Gallop has gone and there are new FFA officials keener on spreading the game to a broader base.

Hopefully, this  reality occurs before I'm pushing up daisies! 
By charlied - 23 Jan 2021 11:11 PM

belgium1 - 23 Jan 2021 9:52 PM
charlied - 23 Jan 2021 9:00 AM

Last time I checked Tasmania had the best economy in the last quarter of whole Australia, we do not need an other team in Sydney or Melbourne but regional areas like Wollongong, Canberra or Tasmania with a rectangle stadium would be the logical choice for expansion.

As an expat Tasmanian I suggest that your knowledge of the Tasmanian context needs some filling out.