Inside Sport

Happy Australia Day

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2945151.aspx

By paulc - 26 Jan 2021 9:58 AM

I see Tim Cahill has received the Order of Australia and justifiably so compared to others receiving the award.

I’m celebrating today for living in the best country in the world. Have fun.

By paulc - 28 Jan 2021 9:30 AM

Decentric 2 - 28 Jan 2021 12:32 AM
paulc - 27 Jan 2021 1:46 PM

Respectfully, I beg to differ.

I attend many  political actions, where protesters  often number in the thousands, which is very large  per capita head of population  here.

The Murdoch media, namely manifesting in the local  The Mercury tabloid, often chooses not to report significant political event that I  attend over a range of issues - Climate Action, union issues and civil liberties. Moreover, the new  manifestation of the emasculated ABC, also doesn't report events, or divides by five as to the number in attendance, and/or omits significant detail. 

Other  TV stations, SBS, 10, and 7, are relied on to report significant events,  which again can remain unreported. It means significant political actions and issues are occurring that remain unreported. Even when events I've attended are reported, the  salient message of key speakers is frequently  omitted!

We don't have a locally based Guardian, but to  its credit, they report many events that occur. The Guardian also reports in sufficient detail.  It also covers a  broad range of issues. I'm much better informed, in an educative sense, since I've subscribed to it. 

You can also add much smaller media outlets like The New Daily, Saturday Paper and Michael West. Often at  big political  events we are asked to  disseminate   messages, information and facts elucidated by speakers via Facebook and other  social media  to keep people informed.

So much of  the media  in Australia is controlled by  Rupert Murdoch. News Limited have done little  to promote Australian football -  it  mainly has  British/European football content.

Moreover, NL media outlets sometimes blatantly ignore many political protests - and - stories that have a progressive content. Because it does not suit Murdoch's extreme conservative agenda agenda, a great deal of items deemed  newsworthy in the past, remain  unreported.

Thank goodness for The Guardian!

If the movement is so massive, where were the protests in the other 365 days of the year. Tasmania of all states is embarrassed as to how it dealt with ridding of aboriginals from their state. Maybe this one off turnout is a reflection of that guilt? My opinion.