Inside Sport

Sydney vs city

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic2958748.aspx

By Melbcityguy - 10 Apr 2021 5:39 PM

Cough cough 
By Decentric 2 - 12 Apr 2021 12:23 PM

Enzo Bearzot - 12 Apr 2021 9:53 AM
Decentric 2 - 11 Apr 2021 10:49 PM

Of those 4-6 shots, all were genuine goal scoring opportunities and all failed to test the keeper.  The shots were all mis-kicks, scuffed soft shots. If he performs like that in Europe, next week he isn't playing.  Which is why he's back running around in the A-League rather than Germany. Or even Scotland.

If you watch Maclaren carefully you will see that he fails to strike the ball cleanly far more often than a striker should.  Getting a clean strike is basically a strikers job.  If you can't do reliably that then you're playing at the wrong end of the pitch.

I've seen a lot of games lately, but without having to watch the entire game again, I thought a number of Maclean's shots tested the keeper from positions in limited time and space?

I will watch out for what you describe as scuffs and mishits though in future games, Enzo.

I think  Maclaren is  an excellent striker. To date, in terms of scoring, he has the highest strike rate per game in the history of the A L.

His positions and runs are clever, often been being bent to avoid offside. Moreover, his  first touches and the subsequent shot (two touch actions), or one touch shots, often involve Maclaren getting into an excellent body shape to execute the technique - very quickly. He shoots well with  both feet, evidenced by his left foot clean strike  in the  second last game as he was running flat out towards goal under close marking pressure, and, has improved with his head. He is also creating more assists for teammates to shoot.

If Maclaren has a fault, he relies on service from players a bit. Borello, with Roar, and now Nabbout, with City, have often done wonderful build up work to create opportunities for Macca to score. 

You  imply that European  leagues are homogeneous. They probably aren't in terms of  evaluating  strikers' success. Any one of the big five leagues, or the top clubs in Portugal, Belgium, Holland,  Russia, Greece, Scotland, are going to have to have to  pretty good strikers, but I have still  seen many strikers  fail to score goals from good positions  in big European leagues.