Your Australian A-league All stars vs Barcelona

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic3026875.aspx

By Melbcityguy - 23 May 2022 10:26 AM

Wednesday night 

how we feeling? 
By Monoethnic Social Club - 30 May 2022 10:29 PM

Mr Cleansheets - 30 May 2022 7:45 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 27 May 2022 10:58 PM
If you keep looking for racism you'll always find it. I would hardly have chosen a Greek club to support if I was racist regarding Greeks. I loved the atmos at the games including all the (to me in the 80s) exotic cooking smells and chanting I couldn't understand, but if I tried to be part of it... I wouldn't call it hostility, but definitely suspicion. I probably needed someone to introduce me I guess (I used to go with two other skips).

A skip mate of mine is a passionate South fan - you might know him. (Ian S - Australianised pom in fact)

Sorry Cleansheets, I'm a bit agricultural in my turn of phrase and didn't mean to imply you were being racist personally.  Just that the prevailing attitude ( from both sides, I absolutely own that) was of being "us and them" when it came to everyday life.... a constant battle, "us and them" salami vs meat pies, "us and them" vfl vs soccer, "us and them" when it came to wogs vs skips, "us and them" when it came to every other part of day to day life.... Lowy and his merry men used this to their benefit as the lowest common denominator. The easy way to achieve a goal.
Before you can build a new shopping centre you've gotta get permission from the council to knock down the old milk bars and fish and chip shops you want to  build over.... Best way to make sure there are no objections to your building plans is to convince the neighbours the old shops are rotten and evil and need to be demolished......  Anyway its all moot now, the moment has passed, the high water mark was reached  years ago and now these "effnik" powerhouses are more like old workhorses out to pasture.... Yes they will survive, they have got too  much history and passion not too but in 50 years time the name Hellas for example will be like Sheffield Wednesday.... people will sort of know the history  of it vaguely  but still think, what an odd name :)
There are quiet a few skip fans I see at Lakeside every week, and more than one Ian :) although your mate is a fantastic writer and historian and I enjoy his work immensely. I don't know him well but enough to say hi too