Inside Sport

The Doctor's Bar (Beer, Bar's & Beverages Thread)

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/Topic687695.aspx

By The Doctor - 22 Mar 2010 9:32 PM

what do you drink?
what's good?
and what shouldn't i waste my money on?

that's it pretty much... an ad on of the tap discussion of Tooheys New in Victoria and Queensland in the afro thread

Had Boag's from tap on the weekend which was pretty good... normally get Bulmers if they've got it on tap but don't normally go to pubs with Bulmers, Pure Blonde and Extra Dry normally from tap, Carlsberg at the football... Carlsberg, Heineken or Stella for home, but i did have Tooheys New out of a can the other day and was surprisingly passable

Edited by The Doctor: 1/4/2010 12:22:39 AM

Edited by The Doctor: 1/4/2010 12:23:53 AM
By scubaroo - 21 Mar 2019 11:42 AM

johnszasz - 20 Mar 2019 5:16 AM
Been in Germany 10 years now and of course there's so much fantastic beer. Meanwhile nearly every German I've met who's been to Australia describes our beer as 'watery' and even that there's barely any alcohol.

Is it the difference in amount of head that makes our beer perhaps come across as watery in comparison?

I've had great and terrible mainstream and craft beer in both countries.

Apparently the purity law with only 4 permitted ingredients is secretly broken by many brewers whole Australian beer appears to have things used to speed up the brewing process. 

What's your general take on Aussie beer? Being away from home it's always nostalgic and a real treat and perhaps that blinds me from some quality issues. 

Most Australian mainstream beer and including beers made her on contract like Heineken as far as ive been told are adjuncts. So to cut costs they use cheaper ingredients such as rice and corn to fill out the product,  that's generally why it's water and thin. Theres barely any standards in Australia and the generally public just cop it and keep drinking the same swill.

I don't know much about the German craft scene, from what I've seen is that people into craft beer in Australia just seem to enjoy the standard beer varieties in Germany because they are still a very good product, particularly bocks, dunkels etc

The Australian beer scene grows from strength to strength,  but to purchase good craft beer here is getting more and more ridiculous. A good 6 pack is costing $30 now. 

I've literally only seen coopers pale overseas, i wouldn't touch anything more mainstream than that.