WCQ: Oman vs Socceroos | 2 Feb 2022

WCQ: Oman vs Socceroos | 2 Feb 2022

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Balin Trev - 3 Feb 2022 7:36 PM
Munrubenmuz - 3 Feb 2022 6:26 PM

Most (if not all?) In Saudi squad play in their domestic league 

one of the few decent oil leagues
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 3 Feb 2022 6:26 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 3 Feb 2022 6:24 PM

Where do most of the Saudis play? 

Most (if not all?) In Saudi squad play in their domestic league 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Can finally bring myself to typing here.

FUCK! 
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Balin Trev - 3 Feb 2022 1:03 PM
jas88 - 3 Feb 2022 12:23 PM

Roos game i went to vs Jordan 2013 in Melbourne Kruse was on fire. Provided nice assist for 1st Bresciano goal and scored another 1v1 goal unassisted in 2nd half. Leckie at his best was very pale when compared to Kruse at his best imho

That was his best game for Australia without doubt.  Was gutting when he got injured in the lead up to 2014.

I'd still argue Leckie has a better shot on him.  Pretty much every goal Kruse scores he has hit directly at the keeper and is substandard goalkeeping. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 3 Feb 2022 6:24 PM
quickflick - 3 Feb 2022 2:42 AM

This is actually an interesting point and it has relevance to Australia's results in WCQs

I'd argue the only difference between this and the last cycle and previous ones where we finished second is Saudi Arabia have got their shit together (at least in Asia)

Where do most of the Saudis play? 

Member since 2008.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

People are going on about the improvement of Asian teams. On a technical level, I agree, they've improved. But results-wise, they're still not looking strong. In the past five World Cups, how many Asian teams have made it to the semi-finals?

This is actually an interesting point and it has relevance to Australia's results in WCQs

I'd argue the only difference between this and the last cycle and previous ones where we finished second is Saudi Arabia have got their shit together (at least in Asia)

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Pasquali
Pasquali
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

CityHarrison - 3 Feb 2022 5:51 PM
grazorblade - 3 Feb 2022 1:16 AM

Our forwards are just not good enough and the future doesn't look much better. Where are our next Kewells, Vidukas and Cahills?
Folami, Bernardo Oliveira…
CityHarrison
CityHarrison
Weekender
Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)Weekender (38 reputation)

grazorblade - 3 Feb 2022 1:16 AM
Decentric 2 - 2 Feb 2022 11:05 PM

imagine playing kruse and leckie in the same front 3rd for the last 6 years

mabil and boyle actually finish occasionally

For a guy that played so many matches in the Bundesliga, Leckie's return was poor. 10 goals and 6 assists from 139 matches. He is an ordinary finisher for a forward and he barely creates goals. Has pace and not a lot else. Second division was better but that was more his level.

With Leckie still getting lots of minutes, we will always struggle to score goals. Boyle is better but how does he go against decent opponents? How will any of our forwards fare against better opponents? The answer is not well. A quick look at goalscoring rates against decent opponents even in Asia tells me as much.

Our forwards are just not good enough and the future doesn't look much better. Where are our next Kewells, Vidukas and Cahills?

Midfield and defence we're looking better but we'll need a bit of luck with injuries and proper development.

jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

People are going on about the improvement of Asian teams. On a technical level, I agree, they've improved. But results-wise, they're still not looking strong. In the past five World Cups, how many Asian teams have made it to the semi-finals?

South Korea in 2002. That's it. The semi-finals is "deep in the tournament". And Asia has had one team ever "go deep" at a World Cup. And that was two decades ago. Results-wise, Asia hasn't improved much at all.

If Japan make the semi-finals of this World Cup and Saudi Arabia get out of their group (or similar) ... all right. We can say that, overall, Asia has improved relative to the rest of the world and we've been behind the pace.

But I'll wager that, at best, there'll be one Asian team at the quarter-finals, and that's as far as they'll get.

That makes our (almost certain) non-qualification even more demoralising still.

I think there's more chance of the Africans causing some upsets. Senegal and Ivory Coast have outstanding squads just need decent managers.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Roos game i went to vs Jordan 2013 in Melbourne Kruse was on fire. Provided nice assist for 1st Bresciano goal and scored another 1v1 goal unassisted in 2nd half. Leckie at his best was very pale when compared to Kruse at his best imho

was also on fire for Leverkusen

that sadly was all before his acl and he was never the same player. He showed character to get back to a decent standard

people hating on Arzani should definitely take note!
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Definitely on your last point. Leckie not in the same class. 
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Geez we missed the likes of Devlin and McGree in midfield. 

Could have used a defensive terrier and someone with a bit more silk. 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Kruse had way more assists, but still missed plenty but at least had some sort of 1v1 ability till he got injured/kicked to the death in germany

jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

grazorblade - 2 Feb 2022 11:02 PM

Which is worse, but Leckie's total is also a game losing conversion rate.

I'm amazed Kruse played so many games?  

Kruse had way more assists, but still missed plenty but at least had some sort of 1v1 ability till he got injured/kicked to the death in germany
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Decentric 2 - 2 Feb 2022 10:45 PM
johnszasz - 2 Feb 2022 10:40 PM

There is too much  being made of Hrustic. 

I'm sorry but he  does not have a football brain at all, particularly in the defensive half.

His technique on the ball is very good in attack, but he makes awful decisions. It  is not as decisive in the attacking third, where players can afford to make mistakes.

At best he is a  candidate to replace Leckie as a winger.

If I was playing on this team with Leckie, Irvine, Maclaren, Behich bashing the ball around I'd be making bad decisions all game too.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

South Korea in 2002. That's it. The semi-finals is "deep in the tournament". And Asia has had one team ever "go deep" at a World Cup. And that was two decades ago. Results-wise, Asia hasn't improved much at all.

If Japan make the semi-finals of this World Cup and Saudi Arabia get out of their group (or similar) ... all right. We can say that, overall, Asia has improved relative to the rest of the world and we've been behind the pace.

But I'll wager that, at best, there'll be one Asian team at the quarter-finals, and that's as far as they'll get.

That makes our (almost certain) non-qualification even more demoralising still.
Edited
2 Years Ago by quickflick
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Feb 2022 10:56 PM

And this is why we can't have nice things....... This stubborn insistence (nothing personal 
 Decentric  as I gather this is a coaching philosophy of the NC?) on the high push, the defensive duties of the creative AM,.... We just don't have the technical ability OR the players to  pull it off... Whats wrong with the simple ways, a false 9 or even a "heaven forbid" playmaking #10 that starts the attack from the centre circle? Look at Vietnam in the China game.... simple. Simple football, no pressing for 90 minutes, possession is everything.... just simple build up play......

Agreed
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

imagine playing kruse and leckie in the same front 3rd for the last 6 years

mabil and boyle actually finish occasionally
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

LFC. - 2 Feb 2022 3:51 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Feb 2022 2:20 PM

Spot ON !
We need players to move on to better leagues that have pressure on everyday at training and the concerns of relegation and the highs from hard work gaining promotion !
Not this cushy pro life here.
There are many here who have paid out on the GG, belittled them, they had it easier, the Africans weren't prominent back then etcetc....
Every excuse under the sun !
Don't forget all this....last WC quali was bad enough what Ange put us through, this one is following the same path via the long route but likely not make it.
Check mate.
The last 15/16yrs local players have had the luxury of a lot more resource, better conditions, living at home.
Arnold isn't the blame in the big picture its for all to see.
We have not developed the quality of players like those before barring 1 or 2 exceptions.
Most are in average leagues, let alone here.
The developing Asian minnows that most expect us to exploit is long gone, are hungrier, desparate to succeed.
Some are starting to press Japan as were seeing and we struggle every single time against them let alone lucky to snag a win back in the day.

I actually think that the top 4 or 5 in Asia are not as strong as they heave been previously. That includes us, Sooth Korea and Japan. On the flip side the so-called minnows have come forward in leaps and bounds. TBH I would like to use our friendly dates to play our Asean neighbours on a regular basis. It would help them by playing 'supposed better teams' but it would also open our eyes to the skills that these 'minnows' display. We as a region to need to improve. 
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

cesspit - 2 Feb 2022 2:34 PM
you need to look at this more positively

this is an indication of the growing strength of football in our region

Oman are a quality side with many technically adept players.  Even decimated by COVID they provided stiff competition.  This is good for Australian football which is still moving in the right direction.   Channel 10 coverage is excellent by the way.  The quality of post match analysis is second to none.  Tara is a great host.  Very knowledgeable.

You are correct.

Football has improved immeasurably in our region.

Unfortunately, we aren't improving as quickly as  a lot of our  Asian opposition.

Agree Ten football  analysis has been pretty good too. The female ex players, Grace ?, Georgia Yeoman- Dale, have had good insights, as have Millsy and Brosque.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

charlied - 2 Feb 2022 11:06 PM
If we have to playoff against the South Americans, which we will, Johnson must go the full Lowy, fire Arnold, and bust the bank to bring in a Hiddinck level super coach. 

I  don't think Hiddink was our best coach.

Bert was. He got Holland to a World Cup Final in 2010, which Guus never did.

I think Bert improved Ange's team quite a lot too, but just didn't have the firepower in the attacking three in Russia.
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

To  further scrutinise Leckie today, Irvine put a defence splitting, eye of the needle  pass through to him, which broke the line. 

He had the defender's right side wide open into space if Matt had  dribbled on the left side of his own body. Instead,  Leckie turned right into a cul de  sac and lost the ball. He just  seems  to have no penalty box instincts.  if Matt had  dribbled left, he would have had a one on one with the Omani keeper, but in all probability would have missed anyway.

A  Socceroo who was dangerous  at the Asian  Cup 2018, was Ikonomides, who excelled at taking players on and ball carrying in and around the pen box.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Decentric 2
charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

If we have to playoff against the South Americans, which we will, Johnson must go the full Lowy, fire Arnold, and bust the bank to bring in a Hiddinck level super coach. 
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Decentric 2 - 2 Feb 2022 10:33 PM

kruse had 5 from 75!

Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

Tom AUFC - 2 Feb 2022 1:54 PM
Does anyone care to acknowledge how good the Omani’s were? This was one of the most intense games the Socceroos have faced in some time. The players were very skilled, well organised, mentally tough, and gave the Socceroos a good game. I feel as though much of that has been true for sometime, but the mental toughness of these teams nowadays has made them much more competitive. 

Agree that Oman, like many Asian teams have improved their defensive organisation and last line defending.

A further issue, is that most Asian teams, with our introduction into Asia, have become far more adept and organised   in defending crosses. Most Asian opposition struggled  to defend crosses when we joined the AFC in 2005. 

Australia is at fault for overly relying on crosses to score. What he we have not  improved sufficiently, is to try and improve to be as good as Japan at  central attacking interplay on the edge of the penalty box.

And, Asian teams, not just Oman, have defended better against the central attacking interplay mode of attack too.

Most Asian teams have improved immeasurably in tactics, communication and organisation when the other team has the ball, plus  improving in body on body physicality. We haven't improved our weaknesses to the same extent.

Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Decentric 2 - 2 Feb 2022 10:33 PM
Matthew Leckie 

Why haven't Holger, Ange, Bert or Arnie converted him to a RB? Like Kruse, he is a terrific runner off the ball, in  opening offensive passing lanes, but Leckie has had 10 years of missing goal after goal after goal for the national team. 

70 games for 13 goals!

This must be the worst  goal scoring  conversion record of any player in the front three for Australia since we were admitted to Asian Confed in 2005!  Even worse, Matt has played some games as a central striker!

This is approx 1 goal scored for every 7 games - simply appalling! If he had a terrific number of assists, or assists that could have a probability for scoring goals, it would compensate a lot. I doubt he has though? At best he may have created some decoy dummy runs.

All Socceroo coaches have collectively responsibility for playing Leckie as a forward. If he is a  terrific  team person, or leader, and the team operates better with him around it, with the rest  of his skill set, he is a Right Back - not a Winger or Central Striker.

To have one player in a team's attacking  front three, who has such a low conversion rate in scoring goals,  puts massive pressure on  the  Socceroos when we dominate periods of play and we don't score. Against Oman, he wasn't as guilty as usual, and played a  few potential assists. However, if he had a strike rate of Maclaren, Duke, Mabil, Boyle, etc, we would have already qualified by now!

Notwithstanding, despite all his talents, converting goals is not one of them. The stats  don't  lie. Goodwin playing as a winger, Leckie's sub, in  hardly any minutes  for the Socceroos, scored a classy goal against Vietnam.   Matt has never scored a goal like this in 10 years. Running hard at the keeper at high speed, Goodwin chipped it over his head .

Maybe Bert can be excused, but how has coach after coach played  Leckie in the front  three for Australia? I'd surmise he would be one of the greatest RBs Australia has had, if someone had copied Guus, or  Pim, and swapped Emerton and Wilkshire as RB and RW.  

Leckie has very little composure around goal, particularly against better opposition . At age 30 - 31,  Leckie is not going  to improve his scoring ability. He might score the odd goal against minnows, but he has been really found wanting against tougher option in converting goals. That is despite  him having a better  game today, not missing as many chances as usual.

kruse had 5 from 75!
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I'm sorry but he  does not have a football brain at all, particularly in the defensive half.

His technique on the ball is very good in attack, but he makes awful decisions. It  is not as decisive in the attacking third, where players can afford to make mistakes.

And this is why we can't have nice things....... This stubborn insistence (nothing personal 
 Decentric  as I gather this is a coaching philosophy of the NC?) on the high push, the defensive duties of the creative AM,.... We just don't have the technical ability OR the players to  pull it off... Whats wrong with the simple ways, a false 9 or even a "heaven forbid" playmaking #10 that starts the attack from the centre circle? Look at Vietnam in the China game.... simple. Simple football, no pressing for 90 minutes, possession is everything.... just simple build up play......
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 2 Feb 2022 10:18 PM
aussie pride - 2 Feb 2022 9:50 PM

In previous cycles I absolutely hated the idea of missing out on a World Cup to instigate change, thinking any tangible long term benefit would be  greatly outweighed by the negative ie financial losses/decline of spectator interest etc. 

I think you are right now though. Something has to change and only missing out on a World Cup is likely to generate enough heat.  My fear is though, with the increase in teams to 48 from 2026 onward, mediocrity will be rewarded and even a Socceroos side weaker than the current squad will qualify in a cakewalk. 

I know I loathe the FFA and APL and blah blah plastic franchises and whatever  but NEVER in my life have I hoped we wouldn't qualify for a world cup......However this time round I agree with you  both...  not because I believe any change will be made to the game here, they'll make their money off the Catalina Wine Mixer ( oooops meant WWC)  and back to selling franchises licenses they'll go.. No I hope we don't go to Qatar because we will be absolutely humiliated....cricket scores .... has anyone been watching Sth American and European qualifiers? 
Decentric 2
Decentric 2
Pro

I've been fantasising about having Atkinson, Elder, McGree, Hrustic and even potentially Juric on the pitch with some quick bite. Brook had the right idea in his recent games. Piscopo seems to be fading. Just of Leckie stumbling when others regularly beat the man like Ikon. 

Edited
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

About Bosnich vs Oman all those years ago. It's the slow play that kills me. There's not even a hint of going fast and trying to outstretch the opponent. Most goals come from their set play errors or the better ones are when we go for it when space allows.

Boyle's goal vs China, Mooy's last night to a smaller extent. The quicker movement against Japan saw some chances. I think I'd be more bitterly disappointed if we'd let many chances go begging but we hardly create them.

I've been fantasising about having Atkinson, Elder, McGree, Hrustic and even potentially Juric on the pitch with some quick bite. Brook had the right idea in his recent games. Piscopo seems to be fading. Just of Leckie stumbling when others regularly beat the man like Ikon. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search