The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

The Australian Politics thread: Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

Author
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
sokorny - 11 Sep 2017 11:19 AM
mcjules - 11 Sep 2017 10:03 AM

I'd love to know the percentage of posters that complained to those that were supportive of it ... 

The prime ministerial beer and baby controversy - fake news at its finest

On Monday morning, the post had been "liked" by 17,000 Facebook users, and 1500 people had commented on it. Because I value my mental health I did not read all the comments, however I couldn't find a single one that wasn't sticking up for the Prime Minister in the face of the moral outrage he provoked, even though that moral outrage was not in evidence anywhere except in two comments quoted in the tabloid media and now, presumably, buried under an avalanche of nice comments.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-prime-ministerial-beer-and-baby-controversy--fake-news-at-its-finest-20170911-gyesxc.html

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
mcjules - 11 Sep 2017 1:11 PM

On Monday morning, the post had been "liked" by 17,000 Facebook users, and 1500 people had commented on it. Because I value my mental health I did not read all the comments, however I couldn't find a single one that wasn't sticking up for the Prime Minister in the face of the moral outrage he provoked, even though that moral outrage was not in evidence anywhere except in two comments quoted in the tabloid media and now, presumably, buried under an avalanche of nice comments.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-prime-ministerial-beer-and-baby-controversy--fake-news-at-its-finest-20170911-gyesxc.html

Perhaps a PR stunt by the Liberal party to garner more support for Turnbull??

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Fake news!

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

sokorny - 11 Sep 2017 3:09 PM

Perhaps a PR stunt by the Liberal party to garner more support for Turnbull??

Don't think so, though it's worked well for him. Just something that generates clicks amongst Miranda Devine's and Janet Albrechtsen's reading base.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

and this is what ends up in todays world thanks to the countless wood ducks in social media and the likes.....marvellous Richie used to say.

Love Football

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

Was following some tweets from journos about his testimony yesterday. Was extremely cringey.

The Empirical Strikes Back: Malcolm Roberts' difficult day in court

When Pauline Hanson returned to Canberra last year after nearly two decades in the political wilderness the conventional wisdom was that she was older and wiser, more "sophisticated".

She had learned from the mistakes of the 1990s, when the party fell apart as a result of infighting and incompetence.

Citizenship, for example. In 1999 the party lost a senator, Heather Hill, when it was revealed she was a dual citizen of Australia and Britain. The new and improved One Nation would never be so careless.

When questions were raised about Malcolm Roberts' citizenship in July this year, that was the party's message in a nutshell. As Hanson's chief of staff James Ashby told Fairfax
Media at the time: "We learnt from the Heather Hill case so weren't going to fall for that a second time."

Hanson told her 200,000 Facebook followers "hand on heart" Roberts was in the clear and it was all just a media witch hunt.

She's either wrong or a fool.

Here are the "empirical" facts: Roberts was a citizen of Britain for the first five months of his Senate tenure. Roberts may still be "choosing to believe" otherwise but not even his lawyer disputes this.

He did not go through the formal renunciation process until months after he took up his seat. So his case - if you can call it that - rested entirely on the notion that by sending a couple of emails to British authorities before the election he had taken "reasonable steps" to renounce his allegiance.

It was always flimsy and just minutes into Thursday's court appearance it fell to pieces: the man who claims he knows better than the world's scientists on climate change had sent his missives to non-existent email addresses.

It is now virtually unthinkable the court will allow Senator Roberts to remain Senator Roberts.

One Nation is not sophisticated, it's gobsmackingly sloppy. As Roberts told the court: "No one did any vetting that I'm aware of with me."

The party that claims it learned the lessons of the 1990s didn't even bother to screen its overseas-born candidate.

One Nation is not alone: the Greens and Nationals also stuffed up their vetting procedures in spectacularly embarrassing fashion. But when they realised their errors they came clean and took responsibility.

Senator Roberts did not. He changed his story half a dozen times in a desperate attempt to save his political skin.

And even now he is pleading ignorance, making the unfathomably absurd claim that Thursday was the first time he'd had it confirmed he was indeed once British. This is a guy born to a Welsh father, registered at birth as a British citizen, who referred to himself as a British citizen when he applied to become an Australian at age 19, who wrote a letter last year asking if he was "still" a British citizen, and who successfully – albeit belatedly – renounced his British citizenship last year.

But this was somehow the first he'd really heard about it.

When it comes to One Nation, ignorance is indeed in plentiful supply; but it's no defence in a court of law.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-empirical-strikes-back-malcolm-roberts-difficult-day-in-court-20170921-gylw51

Gawn

sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

He's cooked

http://eresources.hcourt.gov.au/showbyHandle/1/241744

"I find that Senator Roberts knew that he did not become an Australian citizen until May 1974. I find that, as at the date of his nomination for the Senate, he knew that there was at least a real and substantial prospect that prior to May 1974 he had been and remained thereafter a citizen of the United Kingdom."
Edited
7 Years Ago by sydneycroatia58
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

sydneycroatia58 - 22 Sep 2017 5:39 PM
He's cooked

http://eresources.hcourt.gov.au/showbyHandle/1/241744

"I find that Senator Roberts knew that he did not become an Australian citizen until May 1974. I find that, as at the date of his nomination for the Senate, he knew that there was at least a real and substantial prospect that prior to May 1974 he had been and remained thereafter a citizen of the United Kingdom."

Crows into a GF and this potentially. It's been a good week :laugh:

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Waiting to see what happens to Barnanananaby.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Got to love it when the biggest "defenders" of free speech having a sook at Macklemore singing one of his biggest songs at the NRL Grand final, one he sang at a concert in Abu Dhabi. 

ARNIE= LEGEND

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

RedKat - 28 Sep 2017 8:55 PM
Got to love it when the biggest "defenders" of free speech having a sook at Macklemore singing one of his biggest songs at the NRL Grand final, one he sang at a concert in Abu Dhabi. 

The libs imploding over this is glorious. 
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Roar_Brisbane - 29 Sep 2017 12:03 AM
RedKat - 28 Sep 2017 8:55 PM

The libs imploding over this is glorious. 

Why Mackelmore for the NRL though?? Would have thought a rock act would have been more for the rugby league market ...
Jong Gabe
Jong Gabe
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

sokorny - 29 Sep 2017 9:54 AM
Roar_Brisbane - 29 Sep 2017 12:03 AM

Why Mackelmore for the NRL though?? Would have thought a rock act would have been more for the rugby league market ...

"Family event"

E

Glenn - A-league Mad
Glenn - A-league Mad
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

9GABmeme420 - 29 Sep 2017 10:35 AM
sokorny - 29 Sep 2017 9:54 AM

"Family event"

It was Jessica Mauboy last year IIRC, so its not out of the ordinary to not have a rock act.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Coulda had anyone else and it'd be better.

-PB

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Honestly never thought a shit stain like Macklemore would get this much public attention but when you couple it with NRL and ALF anything is possible. 

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

What the actual fuck? I'm gobsmacked this is even being discussed.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/10/03/17/58/chris-uhlmann-pm-to-use-counter-terror-meeting-to-push-for-drivers-licence-photo-database
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Yeah I don't get you young blokes.  You blow up about stuff like this which they're hoping to use to catch criminals and terrorists and yet facebook already uses it and they're a private FOR PROFIT company?  Where's the outrage?

Similarly go to just about any pub these days and they scan your driver's license in and store it who the fuck knows where?  What controls are in place, who has access to the information, how is it encrypted etc etc.

Spoke to a former manager of a pub and he was 'yeah that's all stored overseas somewhere.'  Was telling me how you can log in and check all the info from your smartphone using the app.  I mean talk about potential for identity theft or worse, crime.  I've got your photo, your address, your age, all your details.  What if some barman wants to go back to some good looking sheila's place after he knocks off without an invite?  What if one of the bouncers you were being cheeky too wants to throw a brick through your window or key your car or just burst in with a baseball bat?   

He hasn't worked their for 6 months but still has access !?  WTF!

Have yet to see a single article anywhere about this ridiculous breach of privacy.  It's fucking mental that no one cares.

Big brother is here and it ain't the Government you have to worry about.

Member since 2008.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Read this. If this isn't an assault on your civil liberties then what the hell is?

https://www.scannet.com.au/

SCANNET Nightclub ID Scanner is a revolution for nightclub and bar owners to scan patrons IDs, providing the ultimate control, security and management tool, whilst delivering in-depth marketing analysis, statistics and data-collection.

Our ID Scanners provide a unique way of cataloguing customers and forecasting future business. In addition, it automatically calculates age, logs nightly business activity, and even has the capability to detect fake ID’s. Scannet scanners are the perfect tool for any licensed venue looking for a solution to improve its security, image and in turn their bottom line.

Not only does Scannet recognize more IDs with over 3750+ which include: visas, passports, driving licences and ID cards from all over the world; we can read them faster than any other ID Scanner on the market. Scannet will authenticate and verify your customers ID, take a live updated photo to verify against the ID photo at the same time cross checking for alerts all in under 2 seconds.

DOUBLE ENTRY ALERTS Scannet scanners will alert the operator should a patron who’s ID has already been scanned try to enter your venue twice in the same night, this prevents patrons sharing their ID or trying to use another ID of the same person.

BANNING PATRONS Automatically verify customers ID against your venues BANNED list, Scannet nightclub ID scanner uses different algorithms in matching these details preventing banned people from using different IDs. Licensees have an unrestricted right to exclude anyone, particularly those who they see as “trouble-makers” from their premises. We do not control any data click here for more info.

ONLINE MEMBERSHIP Did you know that you can even enroll your customers from your website? You can enroll your existing customers into the membership system which means on their next visit they can simply scan their finger on the scanner or use a membership card which will enrol them into your venue like they scanned their ID… more

FAKE ID DETECTION Authenticate and verify documents via SCANNET’s authentication engines driven by sophisticated algorithms. The engines are flexible and can work in a ‘full authentication’ mode when it’s supplied with multiple images and biometric chip data or in a ‘basic validation’ mode, Say goodbye to Fake IDs… more

REPORTING Do you know the average distance your customers travel to get to your nightclub? SCANNET is the fastest way to receive accurate marketing analytic’s allowing you to compare your venues at a glance. You even receive a nightly text and or email summary of the nights activities.

ID SCANNER SUPPORT Scannet customers can contact Scannet Support 7 days a week either through the Scannet system using live “CHAT” button or by telephone 1800 261 034… more

Member since 2008.

Edited
JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

Both are invasions of privacy, Facebook at least has privacy settings though they are flimsy at best. Giving this sort of power to governments is asking for trouble.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Couldn't careless tbh. If you are an employer and you are looking up Facebook that says more about your business. As far as I'm concerned your privacy doesn't exist anymore. CCTV, fingerprints, Id's have all but taken away all of our privacy. And for what. What can they do with a million people's information? Realistically. 

Also if they can't stop a thousand or more ISIS accounts they can't do jackshit with the info. 

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Facebook is opt in and has T+Cs that you agree to at the time.

People didn't agree with the Drivers License photo being used for this shit.

-PB

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

I still can't get over Chris being on Channel 9.

Ugh.

-PB

Muz
Muz
Legend

paulbagzFC - 5 Oct 2017 9:38 AM
Facebook is opt in and has T+Cs that you agree to at the time.

People didn't agree with the Drivers License photo being used for this shit.

-PB

Yeah you did when you got a license.  States already have all of the info.  This is just a way of collecting it in a central database.

I want to know when it became OK for a private company to scan and collect all of your details from you.  After a passport a drivers license is the second highest rated ID.

You seem to be OK with facebook, google, instagram, pinterest, linkedin and the local pub knowing everything about you but not the government?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/preparing-for-your-digital-death/9013420

One US study suggested that would take an average internet user 76 days just to read all the terms and conditions they agreed to each year.

Member since 2008.

Edited
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Show me the T+Cs on the Drivers License that says the Government will use it for any other means other than a Drivers license.

-PB

Muz
Muz
Legend

paulbagzFC - 5 Oct 2017 12:37 PM
Show me the T+Cs on the Drivers License that says the Government will use it for any other means other than a Drivers license.

-PB

As you'd say 'top KEK LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!'       (See how idiotic that looks?)

The very fact you can use your driver's license to identify you in a thousand different government and non-government institutions proves it can be used other than a driver's license.

I can't be arsed looking but as a driver's license is worth 40 points in a 100 point ID check that would suggest to me that somewhere it's written down that a 'driver's license' can be used in other circumstances by the government and private agencies as an official identifier.

Member since 2008.

Edited
Muz
Muz
Legend

Seems I could be arsed after all.  (Not quite T & C's I know but legislation nonetheless.)

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/inforce/72c01500-07a9-48f8-a954-a8b0fce13648/2013-18.pdf

NSW of course but without looking I'd say Bananaland would be the same.

Part 3.5 (Clause 56 & 57) page 13 is what you'd be looking for.  Seems they can give your photo to just about anybody.  [Clause 57 (a) to (k).]

(my emphasis added.)

57 Release of photographs prohibited (cf DL Act, s 41)

(1) The Authority must ensure that a photograph to which this Part applies, and any
photographic image or other matter contained in any database of such photographs,
is not released except:

(a) to the NSW Police Force, or

(b) to Transport for NSW for the purpose of enabling Transport for NSW to
exercise its functions under the Passenger Transport Act 1990, or

(c) to a driver licensing authority of another jurisdiction, or

(d) for the purpose of the conduct of any criminal proceedings:

(i) under this Act or under any provision of any other road transport legislation, or

(ii) in relation to an operator licence under the Commercial Agents and Private Inquiry Agents Act 2004, or

(iii) in relation to a licence or permit under the Firearms Act 1996, a licence under the Security Industry Act 1997 or a permit under the Weapons
Prohibition Act 1998, or

(iv) in relation to a licence under the Tattoo Parlours Act 2012, or

(e) to the Sheriff, for the purpose of any fine recovery proceedings, or

(f) in the exercise of any function conferred or imposed on the Authority by or under the photo-access arrangements under Part 4A of the Licensing and Registration (Uniform Procedures) Act 2002, or

(g) as provided under any other law, or

(h) to the person whose likeness is shown in the photograph or on the database, or

(i) as authorised or required under Part 4 (Security arrangements for photographs)of the Photo Card Act 2005 in respect of the release of photographs to which that Part applies, or

(j) as authorised or required under Division 3 (Security and protection of photographs) of Part 4A of the Licensing and Registration (Uniform Procedures) Act 2002 in respect of the release of photographs to which that Division applies, or

(k) in accordance with the statutory rules.

Member since 2008.

Edited
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 5 Oct 2017 1:10 PM
paulbagzFC - 5 Oct 2017 12:37 PM

As you'd say 'top KEK LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!'       (See how idiotic that looks?)

The very fact you can use your driver's license to identify you in a thousand different government and non-government institutions proves it can be used other than a driver's license.

I can't be arsed looking but as a driver's license is worth 40 points in a 100 point ID check that would suggest to me that somewhere it's written down that a 'driver's license' can be used in other circumstances by the government and private agencies as an official identifier.

Top lelz0rs

-PB

Roar_Brisbane
Roar_Brisbane
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

So that's Cash cooked. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Roar_Brisbane - 26 Oct 2017 1:51 AM
So that's Cash cooked. 

Haha ya reckon?

She seems pretty confident of just staying on.

Surely there has to be some legal proceedings to take place as the tip off in itself is a criminal offense.

-PB

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search