The Top 10 Youngsters To Watch.

The Top 10 Youngsters To Watch.

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quote:
In the countdown to the A-League's 10th season, The World Game is celebrating everything the competition has had to offer over the past nine seasons of euphoric highs and comical lows. From the very best matches to the best goals, biggest blow-ups and even the signing of a non-existent player, our stable of A-League experts has it covered in our Power of 10 lists.
By Scott McIntyre
8 OCT 2014 - 12:37 PM UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO

WATCH THE HYUNDAI A-LEAGUE LIVE ON SBS ONE FROM 10 OCTOBER

Every year there is a new crop of young talents that light up the A-League and end up making their way to even higher honours.

Over the past few seasons we've seen the likes of Mathew Leckie, Robbie Kruse, Mat Ryan, Tom Rogic, Tommy Oar, Adam Taggart and Trent Sainsbury go from fresh faced youngsters to stars of the league and then on to wearing the Socceroos shirt.

Below is a list of generation next – some already have a handful of A-League appearances to their name, many you may not have heard of yet – but you will.

Here are Scott McIntyre's top 10 youngsters to watch over the 2014-2015 season.

BRUCE KAMAU (Adelaide United)

Club insiders have high hopes for this right winger who is being described as a similar style of player to Awer Mabil.

A product of the club's youth league team, Kamau has impressed in pre-season and played the final quarter of an hour in the high-profile exhibition game against Malaga.

A 'traditional' winger who likes to stay wide and send in crosses the 19 year-old is also very good in one-on-one situations and not afraid to take on – and beat - his man.

Currently stuck behind a queue of players for the role on the right of Adelaide's new look 3-4-3 set-up, insiders still suggest that Kamou will be pushing for a spot by the second half of the season.

GEORGE LAMBADARIDIS (Brisbane Roar)

The highly-rated 22 year-old midfielder is in the final year of his two-season deal with Brisbane.

After cracking the senior squad late in the 2011-2012 A-League season (where he scored a spectacular goal against Gold Coast United) Lambadaridis was viewed as being a key part of future Roar campaigns before injury cruelled almost all of the previous season.

Rupturing his ACL in the club's second pre-season game (described by club insiders as one of the worst such injuries they've seen) meant he missed the rest of the season but after working hard at his rehabilitation he's undertaken a full pre-season this time around.

Unlikely to immediately crack what is a gun Roar midfield, the player who is most at home operating as a deeper-lying playmaker, is a solid option to call on should an opportunity open up through injury or national team call-ups.

Having spent a season with the Club Brugge youth team prior to his arrival at the Roar, Lambadaridis is a technically polished 'number six'.

ANTHONY KALIK (Central Coast Mariners)

One of two highly-rated youngster coming through the Mariners system, Kalik – along with Liam Rose – are touted as the next big things to come off the Gosford production line.

Physically Kalik bears some resemblance to a No. 10 that shone for the club, Tom Rogic, and in years to come he could have as big an influence.

A creative central midfielder who can score goals, it's just what the Mariners are looking for although it may be the latter part of the season before we see the prodigiously talented player - who is still only 16 years.

Kalik was the youngest ever player to sign a professional A-League contract when he penned a three-year deal last September.

BEN GARUCCIO (Melbourne City)

After being consistently overlooked under John Aloisi, the versatile Garuccio flourished with the arrival of John van't Schip midway through the season.

Although he made his starting debut last year in place of Aziz Behich at left-back, Garuccio is also capable of operating as a left winger or as a forward – where he was deployed on occasion off the bench.

DYLAN MURNANE (Melbourne Victory)
The 19 year-old left fullback, who made his debut during the 2012-2013 season but who, by season's end, could be an established first choice for Victory.

Club insiders regard him as a no-nonsense defender who is highly capable of getting up and down the sideline in the kind of high-tempo approach that coach Kevin Muscat is instilling in the squad.

Another who has impressed in pre-season Murnane will miss the start of the season while he's away on Australia U-20 duty in Myanmar.

Ironically Scott Galloway, another likely contender for the left-back role, will also be at that same tournament.

BRANDON LUNDY (Newcastle Jets)

An 18 year-old product of Hunter Sports High who commences a two-year contract with the senior squad for this season.

A versatile player capable of operating anywhere across the forward line but perhaps more comfortable as a 'number 9', experienced scouts have described Lundy as one of the best Australian players they've ever seen in this age group.

The Newcastle junior had his first run-out with the senior squad this pre-season and although unlikely to crack the starting XI just yet is definitely one to watch over the latter half of the season and beyond.

BRANDON O'NEILL (Perth Glory)

One of a group of local WA products the versatile O'Neill can slot in as cover in a defensive role but is perhaps more at home in central midfield.

A genuinely two-footed player O'Neill has shone in pre-season and after being involved in fits and starts over the past few seasons this year could be a breakout one for the talented 20 year-old.

ALEX GERSBACH (Sydney FC)

Don't be surprised if this 17 year-old product of the FFA's Centre of Excellence is thrust straight into Sydney's starting line-up for the Round 1 clash with Melbourne City.

Graham Arnold and the Sydney coaching staff have massive wraps on the left-back who made his club debut in the FFA Cup Round of 32 clash against the same opponent in August.

He's thought of so highly that Arnold has decided to hold off on signing a more experienced left-back until January to see how Gersbach responds to his probable opportunity.

ALEJANDRO RODRIGUEZ (Wellington Phoenix)

There are a handful of young players set to explode onto the scene for the Phoenix this season – left back Tom Doyle amongst them – but it's a duo of foreign recruits that are likely to have fans on the edge of their seats.

Dutch youth international Roly Bonevacia comes with an incredible pedigree but Alex Rodridguez is also set to star at the Cake Tin and beyond.

A former captain of the Sunderland reserve side, the 21 year-old came to the club's attention via contacts of Chris Greenacre and club insiders believe they have a real gem on their hands.

A versatile midfielder who grew up in Tenerife, Rodriguez is set to operate as part of the deeper midfield line in Ernie Merrick’s 4-3-3 but is just as capable of being used in a more attacking role out wide.

MARTIN LO (Western Sydney Wanderers)

A highly-rated central midfielder who is still completing his high school studies but once that's out of the way expect him to be pushing for a regular role in the first-team squad.

Slightly built Lo is regarded as a wonderful technician on the ball and travelled with the squad on the previous pre-season campaign in Japan and China before suffering an injury, which curtailed his progress for several months.

Now fully fit he could be another of the youth team graduates to play an increasingly important role in the first team going forward.

Known by his team-mates as 'McFly'.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

22 isn't really 'young' in a when talking about young players to watch.

Also, Jordan brown at Victory will have a career in front of him.
AndyToddsElbow
AndyToddsElbow
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

[youtube]v=PdLIerfXuZ4#t=21[/youtube]
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

I really hope Martin Lo gets an opportunity. Every time I have seen the kid play he has been amazing such a creative player with technical brilliance

Edited by vincenzogold: 8/10/2014 08:05:47 PM
Tom AUFC
Tom AUFC
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

No Mabil? He could very well establish himself as one of the best attackers in the league this season.
switters
switters
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

vincenzogold wrote:
I really hope Martin Lo gets an opportunity. Every time I have seen the kid play he has been amazing such a creative player with technical brilliance

Those highlights of him playing at the ais are still jaw dropping. The movement the passing range and creativity hopefully he makes his A league debut soon.
Heineken
Heineken
Legend
Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)Legend (50K reputation)

Seriously the more I see of Gerbasch, the more chubbier I get. Brimming with talent, Arnie's made a wonderful pickup from the AIS or whatever it's being called these days.

This lad's going places. Remember the name.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES FOR A-LEAGUE EXPANSION!

robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

ANTHONY KALIK according to many on the central coast is the best junior they have ever had. Pretty impressive considering some of the young uns they have produced.
The Maco
The Maco
World Class
World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)World Class (5.2K reputation)

tsf wrote:
22 isn't really 'young' in a when talking about young players to watch.

Also, Jordan brown at Victory will have a career in front of him.

j-star is just unlucky he's about 5th or 6th down in the pecking order in the hardest midfield to crack
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

Don't rate Jordan brown as highly as most others

Mauk on the other hand is a GUN
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend

De Silva, Mauk, Naumoff, Mabil, Alessi, Gersbach and Liam Rose are my picks, especially i like what I've seen from Rose in the pre-season games for CCM he looks like a real prospect given he is only 16. We know from watching the others they look promising too.

In actual fact in every season there is a new name that we haven't heard before that we will get excited about towards the end of the season so we will see.
Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Gersbach looks quality.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Soon everybody will be talking about George Howard and Milos Ridesic.
AndyToddsElbow
AndyToddsElbow
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

robbos wrote:
ANTHONY KALIK according to many on the central coast is the best junior they have ever had. Pretty impressive considering some of the young uns they have produced.

Isn't Caceres meant to be the NBT at #10? Little puff pieces about him this pre-season
lolitsbigmic
lolitsbigmic
World Class
World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)World Class (7.6K reputation)

Tom AUFC wrote:
No Mabil? He could very well establish himself as one of the best attackers in the league this season.

yeah i was a bit wtf. He is almost a 1st team player. he what 18-19?

He will tear any defense apart with his speed.
Mfrendin_Roar
Mfrendin_Roar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I absolutely detest Mauk. I know! crazy, but whenever I watch him in the junior socceroos set up he just constantly fouls because he's too late to a tackle then gets frustrated and throws a tantrum like a 5 year old... I also find that he rushes passes and then ultimately f's it up...
roarys mane
roarys mane
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Mfrendin_Roar wrote:
I absolutely detest Mauk. I know! crazy, but whenever I watch him in the junior socceroos set up he just constantly fouls because he's too late to a tackle then gets frustrated and throws a tantrum like a 5 year old... I also find that he rushes passes and then ultimately f's it up...

Hes the one young guy I also think is overhyped and overplayed in the youth teams.
tbitm
tbitm
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

roary's mane wrote:
Mfrendin_Roar wrote:

Hes the one young guy I also think is overhyped and overplayed in the youth teams.
His negatives are he's weak, gets pushed off the ball a lot and has a low pass accuracy. I do think he's a good dribbler though and does likes to attack, he made a difference when he came on for us in the FFA cup game.

I am much more excited about Garuccio this season.

Edited by tbitm: 9/10/2014 12:51:25 AM
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

vincenzogold wrote:

care to share
Jon90
Jon90
Rising Star
Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)Rising Star (939 reputation)

From Brisbane I look forward to seeing Clut and Borello more than lamba. Excited to see some up coming talent in the season.
sethman75
sethman75
Pro

It's criminal Brandon O'neill hasn't been given a chance at Perth.

I recall the first time i saw him play he was a straight swap for Jacob Burns and he looked twice the player Burns did.

Good workrate, good technical ability and can really screen that midfield well.

This has to be his year, the total mismanagement of the young players at Perth is criminal.
explayer
explayer
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)Hardcore Fan (203 reputation)

AndyToddsElbow wrote:
robbos wrote:

Isn't Caceres meant to be the NBT at #10? Little puff pieces about him this pre-season

Kalik looks like a good prospect. That's all. Caceres is a reality. He's our best ball player and due to his performances last season and this pre season has earned the right to be our AM or DM.He should be the mariner's playmaker but knowing Mossy I'm sure that he will play his import Kim "sooky" Seung-yong who till the present day hasn't shown to be better than Caceres or any other mariner attacking player.

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I don't think I agree with Lundy being in this article. I don't really see him cracking the HAL tbh. And I would consider him more of a wide left player than a number 9.
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
I don't think I agree with Lundy being in this article. I don't really see him cracking the HAL tbh. And I would consider him more of a wide left player than a number 9.

What are your thoughts on Hoole?
Eastern Glory
Eastern Glory
Legend
Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)Legend (21K reputation)

Rofl at O'neill being on that list... That ship has well and truly sailed.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

robbos wrote:
pv4 wrote:

What are your thoughts on Hoole?

I think he's tenacious. He's pretty raw, but he holds somewhat of a maturity on the ball not seen by kids his age. He has a mean streak and doesn't mind a scrap.

But, that aggressive mentality also works against him. He can get in shitfights for no good reason at times.

I feel like if he can learn a lot about playmaking and general passing from the likes of Flores, Hoole could develop into a really well-rounded midfielder.
pv4
pv4
Legend

AndyToddsElbow wrote:
[youtube]PdLIerfXuZ4#t=21[/youtube]

ftfy
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

grazorblade wrote:
vincenzogold wrote:

care to share

This video was taken about a year ago before signing for WSW. Looks absolutely quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMzLkDZGM0E

And here is the footage of him playing for WSW against Victory in the NYL. He sets up the goal. Watch from 4:50 to see his touch and then assist for goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb-pzCSEtI0

Edited by Davo1985: 9/10/2014 11:05:14 AM
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Cheers lo looks very good
kind of rogic like
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Hoping Crowley kills it for the Jets NYL team and his name appears here next season [-o<

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search