Languages Thread

Languages Thread

Author
Gayfish
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
neuer Mann.
AEK Spartan
AEK Spartan
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Klingon should be on the poll.
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Added you biscuitman. pv4, sent you a pm on facey with my username. Add me on there. Anyone else into learning some shit and competing, get the app and send me your username
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
You've inspired me. No Chinese on the app so I'm doing Spanish. Username is mcjules520.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
biscuitman1871 wrote:
According to Duo Lingo I am now 2% fluent in German, so hit me up if you need to translate - man, woman, child, boy, girl, bread and water.

:lol: I legit came here to announce my 2% fluidity in Spanish

Yo soy un hombre :cool:

Edited by mcjules: 10/3/2016 08:09:51 PM

pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

What a thread
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

mcjules wrote:
You've inspired me. No Chinese on the app so I'm doing Spanish. Username is mcjules520.

Added you. My username starts with S,
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

Okay lads, I created a DuoLingo "classroom". It helps us all track our scores and lets us see each others so we can compare.

Here's the link.

It'll be in Spanish because most people seem interested/familiar with that.

Edited by Draupnir: 10/3/2016 09:18:15 PM
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Draupnir wrote:
aufc_ole wrote:
This thread has motivated me to get back into German :lol:

DuoLingo dat shit up. Compete with biscuitman!

I've already got the app but just got really slack and stopped :lol:
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I can't speak highly enough for Asian languages, especially if you've got some kind of passion. For practical reasons, Chinese has to be one of the best languages to learn. My father tried to make me learn it.

When he was at uni, he did Japanese. He would also spend his holidays in Japan, working. He got basically "fluent". We actually lived there for about 4 years when I was small. He's so good at it that he once called a Japanese restaurant before we ate there to ask about the menu (he wanted to establish that it was owned by Japanese people). When we went there for dinner the woman who owned it was staggered that he was Australian. She had assumed he was a Japanese man from the nicest parts of Tokyo.

But the thing is he got a job in a mining company as the dude who negotiates deals. You see, in the late 80s and early 90s, Japan was such a huge economic superpower (it's still significant enough). Our mining companies were trading a lot with Japanese companies.

But back then you needed to speak Japanese fluently not just for communicative purposes. As somebody above has said, only if you understand the language can you understand general trends in the psychology of the people. Only if you understand Japanese language can you understand the way Japanese people think. And this ability is critical to successful trade with Japanese companies.

So speaking Japanese is what got him into his job. He does commerce kind of stuff. But he doesn't have a commerce degree. Most of his colleagues are geologists, engineers or have commerce degrees. His pathway was rather different and it was down to Japanese.

Now they deal every bit as much with Chinese companies (probably more). But speaking Japanese opened that door at the time.

Chinese would be the most useful now, apparently.
pv4
pv4
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Cbf checking, and haven't had the chance to yet..

Does duolingo work offline?
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
Cbf checking, and haven't had the chance to yet..

Does duolingo work offline?

You can do your courses offline, but learning a new language or other fun things need to be online.

I'll probably just do my courses then wifi any updates I want to do
Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

When i was using Duolingo years ago i found that it was really light on the grammar side of things. It was great for learning vocab, but when it came to constructing your own sentences it seemed to let me down and i would have to go out of my way to read comments on cases and sentence structure. Might give it a crack again now

mcjules wrote:

Strange how they have literally made up languages in Esperanto, plus Irish for some reason yet they dont have the largest language on the planet

EDIT: Anyone who is doing German add me on Duolingo if you're not chicken. I'm level 6 already, just sayin:-"
ScotchandCoke.

Edited by scotch&coke: 11/3/2016 10:46:07 AM
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

Scotch&Coke wrote:
When i was using Duolingo years ago i found that it was really light on the grammar side of things. It was great for learning vocab, but when it came to constructing your own sentences it seemed to let me down and i would have to go out of my way to read comments on cases and sentence structure. Might give it a crack again now

mcjules wrote:

Strange how they have literally made up languages in Esperanto, plus Irish for some reason yet they dont have the largest language on the planet

I think it's because of the learning method, particularly having to understand characters and tones. They could probably start with pinyin like most chinese courses do but I think the structure of lessons would still need to change a bit.

Up to 13% fluency in Spanish already, obviously having a very good understanding of Italian is helping a lot. Because they never directly teach you the grammar rules (unless you click to get an explanation), it'd be interesting to compare how proficient a person that's never done another romance language is at this stage compared to someone that has in terms of constructing your own sentences.

pv4
pv4
Legend

mcjules wrote:
Scotch&Coke wrote:

mcjules wrote:

I think it's because of the learning method, particularly having to understand characters and tones. They could probably start with pinyin like most chinese courses do but I think the structure of lessons would still need to change a bit.

I did a bit of a google and found this:

http://duolingo.wikia.com/wiki/Chinese

Quote:
As of January 2016, Duolingo staff has indicated that this course would not be offered soon and it is not high priority because:

The number of people who want to learn Chinese from English is not as large as you’d think (it’s about 1/10th the number of people who want to learn Spanish, for example), and it involves a lot of work on our end to teach the character set and the tones.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Duolingo sounds good, might have to brush up on my German! It's been years
Scotch&Coke
Scotch&Coke
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

pv4 wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Scotch&Coke wrote:

mcjules wrote:

Quote:
As of January 2016, Duolingo staff has indicated that this course would not be offered soon and it is not high priority because:

The number of people who want to learn Chinese from English is not as large as you’d think (it’s about 1/10th the number of people who want to learn Spanish, for example), and it involves a lot of work on our end to teach the character set and the tones.

10% of the Spanish course is still a few million. They took the time and effort to create a course for an entirely made up language which only has a few hundred thousand learners. Chinese isn't that difficult to begin with, the grammar is incredibly simple and in some cases extremely similar to english. The characters are the only hard part and that simply takes a bit of commitment to learn
mcjules
mcjules
World Class

Scotch&Coke wrote:
pv4 wrote:
mcjules wrote:
Scotch&Coke wrote:

mcjules wrote:

Quote:

10% of the Spanish course is still a few million. They took the time and effort to create a course for an entirely made up language which only has a few hundred thousand learners. Chinese isn't that difficult to begin with, the grammar is incredibly simple and in some cases extremely similar to english. The characters are the only hard part and that simply takes a bit of commitment to learn

Yeah I think the demand part is a bit disingenuous, particularly comparing it to spanish which is widely prevalent in the US due to it's neighbours.

I agree that most of the grammar of chinese is simple compared to euro languages but there are some complicated things there too. I can see why characters and tones might require a lot more custom development to integrate into their app over simply inputting a new vocab for languages like esperanto or irish.

marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

I've always wanted to learn Korean or Japanese so I can accompany my hellfire with some class banter

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

pv4
pv4
Legend

:lol: Draup what is the method to your madness? Your timeline is like:
- levelled up to level 3 in Spanish
- learnt a new skill in Norwegian
- learnt a new skill in German
- levelled up to level 5 in German
- learnt a new skill in French
- learnt a new skill in Spanish
- levelled up in klingon
Mr B
Mr B
Legend

Edited by MrBrisbane: 17/3/2016 10:15:08 PM

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Draupnir, check your inbox. PM'd you :d
Slobodan Drauposevic
Slobodan Drauposevic
Legend

quickflick wrote:
Draupnir, check your inbox. PM'd you :d

Done!
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

German for the last 8 years including 7 living in Germany. Hannover had a few good points one being that it's considered a place with the clearest standard German.

The regional dialects are a bit fun but as an ESL teacher I practice what I preach and try to get it right. Not a perfectionist but it should be spoken as proper as possible.
I can understand some Dutch. I wouldn't like to learn any other languages really. A few phrases for a holiday would be fine.
pv4
pv4
Legend

How's everyone going with duolingo?

I'm loving it. Still hitting my daily goal, although it's set at around 10mins a day or thereabouts.

Things are starting to get tricky at times. But enjoying it. Loving the comment section too
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Happy to share I learnt German by listening to football radio. I also read about things I was interested in. I use my environment and ask myself if I know the name of everything. Once I've just said something in English, I wonder how would I communicate that in German.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

pv4 wrote:
How's everyone going with duolingo?

I'm loving it. Still hitting my daily goal, although it's set at around 10mins a day or thereabouts.

Things are starting to get tricky at times. But enjoying it. Loving the comment section too

Memrise is a popular site for vocabulary.
Dropñir
Dropñir
Under 7s
Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)Under 7s (11 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
English is too hard, the grammar doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure whether it's worth speaking it anymore. I don't know why I bother.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Duolingo lol. Somehome i became fluent in 3 weeks. Not to mention there were a few responses that were not permitted.

salmonfc
salmonfc
World Class
World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)World Class (7.7K reputation)

I haven't been keeping up at all.

Sorry :cry:

For the first time, but certainly not the last, I began to believe that Arsenals moods and fortunes somehow reflected my own. - Hornby

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search