The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

quickflick - 16 Feb 2018 6:37 PM
Enough of the similarities are definitely there. The movement off the ball, the diagonal run, the dribbling ability with close control at speed (Roberts has such ability, it just wasn't really on show in the footage), the overall speed and the agility. And nobody else in the senior NT seems to possess quite that combination of attributes. These attributes enhance the quality of the attack immeasurably.

Yeah I understand what you mean. Roberts, Teirney, Forrest all exhibit the ability to control the ball at full pace and are really effective penetrators (even against opposition such as Barcelona & PSG)

However, Arzani is not what I would consider even near fast, nor does he have a powerful shot. I'm still not convinced he should be in our World Cup squad, but happy to be proven wrong. 

As mentioned, someone said the NTC grads all come out soft. He could spend his entire lifetime practiceing and never get better in these areas, a cultural norm in Australia. Never pushing the limitations of ones abilities (?)

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

highkick05 - 20 Feb 2018 2:41 AM
quickflick - 16 Feb 2018 6:37 PM

Yeah I understand what you mean. Roberts, Teirney, Forrest all exhibit the ability to control the ball at full pace and are really effective penetrators (even against opposition such as Barcelona & PSG)

However, Arzani is not what I would consider even near fast, nor does he have a powerful shot. I'm still not convinced he should be in our World Cup squad, but happy to be proven wrong. 

As mentioned, someone said the NTC grads all come out soft. He could spend his entire lifetime practiceing and never get better in these areas, a cultural norm in Australia. Never pushing the limitations of ones abilities (?)

It's best not to jump to conclusions. Always judge each case on its individual merits. Lots of the criticism about the production line of Australian football is valid. But we can't assume that since the production line is poor every single individual footballer won't be good enough.

There are always exceptions. The trick is to be able to spot those exceptions. Gotta ask what's different about this footballer compared to the others. The things I've pointed out are some of the key differences, imo.
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Great technique , great dribbler, but hardly anything new. He reminds me of a slightly better Luongo. Has great technique while being predominantly ineffective. What's the point of these show pony's ? if they can't play I mean.

He's not better than Rogic. Rogic has a more direct mentality. 

If he scored more goals and made more assists , yep put him in the WC

Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=Brad%20jones%20marwijk&src=typed_query

Looks like Van Marwijk is surprised Brad Jones has been overlooked so regularly and is in talks with him.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Proud2BeCanberran - 20 Feb 2018 9:34 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=Brad%20jones%20marwijk&src=typed_queryLooks like Van Marwijk is surprised Brad Jones has been overlooked so regularly and is in talks with him.

The man himself on Dutch TV. Can anyone translate?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZiggoSport/status/965666858903973889/video/1

Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

highkick05 - 20 Feb 2018 4:21 AM
Great technique , great dribbler, but hardly anything new. He reminds me of a slightly better Luongo. Has great technique while being predominantly ineffective. What's the point of these show pony's ? if they can't play I mean.

His assists per minute are actually very dominant 
Also take one are super important as they create space for other players

But as u say goals are needed to leapfrog the others
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

highkick05 - 20 Feb 2018 4:21 AM

Not sure we can play rogic and mooy together not mobile enough... Arzani much quicker. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

soccerfoo - 16 Feb 2018 11:08 PM

Arzani 19 years of age, is a real talent although, to send him as a wing option when there are Troisi 29, Oikonomidis 22, Borrello 22, Petratos 25 and even Burns 29, its Not the right time. Ofcourse the top two atm are Leckie & Kruse. Forget his chances right now as an AM. Rogic and Mooy have got it in spades. 
If Daniel was scoring more, then it would be hard to deny him a spot. he is not a prolific scorer and that is what the Socceroos have needed. They create multiple chances but can't do anything with them.  
Nabbout should be ranked ahead of Juric and McLaren now. He has done enough. He scores goals that no-one in Australian football can, except for Cahill. 

Hes play more games than Oikonomidis, no idea how he is ahead of him. Ikon has a terrible touch, one footed and lazy. Should be no where near the socceroos.
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

jas88 - 20 Feb 2018 10:33 AM
soccerfoo - 16 Feb 2018 11:08 PM

Hes play more games than Oikonomidis, no idea how he is ahead of him. Ikon has a terrible touch, one footed and lazy. Should be no where near the socceroos.

His touch has actually looked quite good in the A-league and he's been far from lazy.
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

highkick05 - 20 Feb 2018 2:10 AM
scott21 - 20 Feb 2018 1:54 AM

Maybe someone can inform me of Petratos's form. He's always linked up well w/ players around the edges of the box. 
Is he really doing much better than other seasons? Is Nabbout making him look good etc

Petratos is a better player than Nabbout, so if anything it's the other way around, but I think they've both been very good. And yes, he's doing much better than other seasons. He's seems to have found a lot of confidence and is being given license to play very direct and attacking football, which suits him. The pace that Newcastle plays at forces the players to think and move quickly and Petratos/Nabbout (as well as a few others) are much better for it.
belgium1
belgium1
Super Fan
Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)Super Fan (138 reputation)

I was surprised that the last years he was not a socceroo, I visited him and we had a good conversation and he is positive towards the socceroos.
Reporter replied, so you are going to take him to Russia, Bert replied; I never guarantee any player a spot to Russia but I approached him so there is a big chance.

That was the translation of the interview with Bert and Dutch television.
Edited
6 Years Ago by belgium1
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

belgium1 - 20 Feb 2018 1:08 PM
I was surprised that the last years he was not a socceroo, I visited him and we had a good conversation and he is positive towards the socceroos.
Reporter replied, so you are going to take him to Russia, Bert replied; I never guarantee any player a spot to Russia but I approached him so there is a big chance.

About time.
Ryan vs Jones reminds me of Schwarzer v Kalacs.
Though Jones is not playing in the EPL.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

paladisious - 20 Feb 2018 9:36 AM
Proud2BeCanberran - 20 Feb 2018 9:34 AM

The man himself on Dutch TV. Can anyone translate?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZiggoSport/status/965666858903973889/video/1

Just talking about how he is surprised Jones has been left out and has been in communication with him, but it isn't a guarantee of anything.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

i got the sense that he was invited into the camp under ange but didnt want to lose club time to sit on the bench.  which is fair enough. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

City Sam - 20 Feb 2018 1:47 PM
paladisious - 20 Feb 2018 9:36 AM

Just talking about how he is surprised Jones has been left out and has been in communication with him, but it isn't a guarantee of anything.

Fair enough, cheers for that.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

inala brah - 20 Feb 2018 2:04 PM

i got the sense that he was invited into the camp under ange but didnt want to lose club time to sit on the bench.  which is fair enough. 

Jones denied that version of events.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Thanks for that :)
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Story image for football australia from The Australian

Young Aussie pushes Socceroos claims after FA Cup upset

The Australian-1 hour ago
Callum Elder has flown under the radar for much of his career but that is about to change after the talented Australian defender played a major role in Wigan's shock win ... Football is like this. “Of course, we are sad and we want to go through because the FA Cup is a nice competition and you want to go to the quarter-finals.

Story image for socceroos from Herald Sun

Melbourne City young gun Daniel Arzani says public attention has ...

Herald Sun-4 hours ago
He's also had the added pressures of dealing with speculation about his international future and whether he will one day play for the Socceroos or Iran. But being just 15 games into his professional career, Arzani said the hype around him had been a little bit extreme. “Yeah, to be honest, it's been a little bit crazy,” he said.

Story image for socceroos from SBS - The World Game

Arnold ready to gamble in China test

SBS - The World Game-5 hours ago
Football Federation Australia is expected to move swiftly on from the unveiling of short-term Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk to official confirmation of Graham Arnold as the nation's long-term solution, with an announcement possibly as early as next week.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

scott21 - 21 Feb 2018 1:27 AM
Story image for football australia from The Australian

Young Aussie pushes Socceroos claims after FA Cup upset

The Australian-1 hour ago
Callum Elder has flown under the radar for much of his career but that is about to change after the talented Australian defender played a major role in Wigan's shock win ... Football is like this. “Of course, we are sad and we want to go through because the FA Cup is a nice competition and you want to go to the quarter-finals.

Story image for socceroos from Herald Sun

Melbourne City young gun Daniel Arzani says public attention has ...

Herald Sun-4 hours ago
He's also had the added pressures of dealing with speculation about his international future and whether he will one day play for the Socceroos or Iran. But being just 15 games into his professional career, Arzani said the hype around him had been a little bit extreme. “Yeah, to be honest, it's been a little bit crazy,” he said.

Story image for socceroos from SBS - The World Game

Arnold ready to gamble in China test

SBS - The World Game-5 hours ago
Football Federation Australia is expected to move swiftly on from the unveiling of short-term Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk to official confirmation of Graham Arnold as the nation's long-term solution, with an announcement possibly as early as next week.

Some interesting articles behind a paywall there can anyone summarizr
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

If you use twitter you can post the links then click on them and they open. You can then delete it from your profile. It may work on fb too. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Halloran sets sights on regaining Socceroos spot

The former Gold Coast United and Brisbane Roar attacker burst onto the Socceroos scene at the last World Cup then dropped off the radar just as quickly.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/02/23/halloran-sets-sights-regaining-socceroos-spot

Socceroos and Bradford City defender Ryan McGowan has undergone knee surgery, posing significant questions regarding his availability for next month's international friendlies.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/02/23/socceroos-defender-mcgowan-sidelined-injury

chondro
chondro
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Espn fc talking about Ryan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GAK8l2Lj3Xg
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

chondro - 26 Feb 2018 1:33 AM

Fair comments and subject, however, is reduced to some weird crap at the end.

Which obviously they only understand.

highkick05
highkick05
Legend

So where will Rogic go?

We've never seen him play for anyone team but Celtic and CCM I do believe could this be the problem?

Do people actually know what type of team he would fit in well with?

Why he should not stay @ Celtic... is his injuries just individual bizarro injuries or due to something in Scotland.
The tackling is better or worse than somewhere else .. 

What is the best for this still 'young' man..

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

iran have 5 friendlies before the world cup

I get the feeling that we really have far fewer friendlies than other teams. I don't have any stats to back that up mind you
razor7
razor7
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)

Does anyone know what Aussie Bert and his boys are up to. Its been very quiet
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

razor7 - 26 Feb 2018 3:25 PM
Does anyone know what Aussie Bert and his boys are up to. Its been very quiet

Didnt Bert say he would prefer just to have training camps prior to the world cup rather than friendlies
highkick05
highkick05
Legend

grazorblade - 26 Feb 2018 3:02 PM
iran have 5 friendlies before the world cup

I get the feeling that we really have far fewer friendlies than other teams. I don't have any stats to back that up mind you

lolz. I bet Gallop and Lowy are pretty concerned with this. Lining up a few as we speak.

Gallop: *bring bring* "Yeah is alright if we have a friendly with you guys in Feb. Ok. Yep get back to me hey" *hang up, go back to playing solitaire*

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Spiranovic hasn’t given up hope of forcing himself into the reckoning for Russia, and will make fast-tracking his future a priority in a bid to capture the attention of new Australia coach Bert van Marwijk.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/02/26/spiranovic-return-has-league-clubs-alert
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search