Australia vs Syria

Australia vs Syria

Author
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Just looking through the Syrian squad. Not a great deal of domestically based players, so it's not as if they'll spend the whole month together in camp.

This guy's stats are ridiculous.
http://us.soccerway.com/players/omar-al-somah/229449/

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

localstar - 6 Sep 2017 5:17 PM
Footballking55 - 6 Sep 2017 4:33 PM

Do you...?

Oh you're part of the "he's someone else's multi" brigade. Hate to disillusion you!!!!!
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

GloryPerth - 6 Sep 2017 4:34 PM
We are very lucky - to be facing a team from such circumstances as Syria. If their Home game is Malaysia - wow, that is like our backyard. Our away fans should dominate the arena.

If our boys can't fire up for this, this isn't the making of a new Golden Generation, then it's not about 'luck' or what's 'fair' as some have said post-Thailand but about what they've earned. This is the real fight now and the types of battles that hardened the old Generation the '97 and '01 heart-breaks and the '05 triumph. '05 catapulted with tremendous momentum and team cohesion heading into the 2006 World Cup and if this generation does the same, we'll be a force to be reckoned with at Russia 2018. We'll see new match-winners come to the fore and already Leckie finally stepping up with his club form and scoring recent times, while Juric, Rogic and Mooy are starting to find their feet and seize their opportunities for on-field leadership. They know it's on their shoulders now and are only just starting to thrive. The passion of Juric post-Thailand, you could see it hurt but also fuelled that fire. What we have now, is not enough, it hasn't been quite enough but we still have the opportunity to prove we warrant to be there - just as we sought to do so, every campaign, in that Oceania era.

Well said!
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Just watched the full replay of the Thailand game. My stream were stuffing up and I had mostly text updates. Bloody hell I didn't realise how many times we either hit the post or had the ball saved off the line. Just insane. There were many where the keeper was beaten. Ange saying it was a game of inches is definitely not wrong. 

I hope we play Syria with the same bite. We must be careful not to be too high and get exposed at the back. The team looked so frustrated in the end. There's definitely a few bag eggs in the squad who are making the atmosphere difficult. They lack leadership and maturity. If Jedinak is fit he must enter the camp. Don't necessarily start him but get him in the squad. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

johnszasz - 7 Sep 2017 5:25 AM
Just watched the full replay of the Thailand game. My stream were stuffing up and I had mostly text updates. Bloody hell I didn't realise how many times we either hit the post or had the ball saved off the line. Just insane. There were many where the keeper was beaten. Ange saying it was a game of inches is definitely not wrong. 

I hope we play Syria with the same bite. We must be careful not to be too high and get exposed at the back. The team looked so frustrated in the end. There's definitely a few bag eggs in the squad who are making the atmosphere difficult. They lack leadership and maturity. If Jedinak is fit he must enter the camp. Don't necessarily start him but get him in the squad. 

interesting point about leadership

I remember the japan australia 2006 wc game where we were frustrated and the emotions seemed to be getting to us making us lose our composure. Then steps up one tim cahill....

Its completely unpredictable who will step up in those situations
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

grazorblade - 7 Sep 2017 5:53 AM

interesting point about leadership

I remember the japan australia 2006 wc game where we were frustrated and the emotions seemed to be getting to us making us lose our composure. Then steps up one tim cahill....

Its completely unpredictable who will step up in those situations

Age doesn't always have something to do with it but looking at our 2006 squad we had so many mature players. Between 27 and 33 and just so experienced. Current players in this age bracket seem so unripe for the whole situation. Kruse and Spiranovic needed to to take some responsibility a whole ago. We have a young squad compared to 06. Do we have a leadership group? We need a strong core to maintain a healthy culture. Ange is also tepsoonsfor building that. I think players have become disgruntled at selections such as Smith and Kruse or anyone who isn't playing. 

Let's see how Goodwin and Oar go. A few fresh faces would be good for the squad. Priority would be Smith out for Behich or Goodwin and Amini would likely make way for Jedinak. 
Pyramid Timmy
Pyramid Timmy
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Footballking55 - 6 Sep 2017 9:22 PM
localstar - 6 Sep 2017 5:17 PM

Oh you're part of the "he's someone else's multi" brigade. Hate to disillusion you!!!!!

I've always found that you can tell Queensland dickheads apart from Tasmanian dickheads fairly easily
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Queensland dickheads have normally migrated here from other states 😜
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I reckon this is fair.
Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Footballking55 - 6 Sep 2017 4:33 PM
grazorblade - 6 Sep 2017 12:50 PM

oops, my bad. Thanks. Maybe I should get interested as  live up here!

Recent record at ANZ
V Greece 1-0 
V Korea Republic 2-1 

hotrod
hotrod
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Four ATB will mitigate this.

Just sayin'.

Tom Rogics Foot
Tom Rogics Foot
Amateur
Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)

playmaker11 - 6 Sep 2017 6:58 PM
Just looking through the Syrian squad. Not a great deal of domestically based players, so it's not as if they'll spend the whole month together in camp.

This guy's stats are ridiculous.
http://us.soccerway.com/players/omar-al-somah/229449/

Yeah he's a FIFA beast too
clifton
clifton
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)

josh sydneyfc - 6 Sep 2017 5:59 AM
If we qualify this way does it help our ranking)

Yes. Although it depends on the actual opponents and of course the results and it's impossible to predict until the Sept then Oct rankings are released.

But loosely... if we were to beat Syria twice and then beat Panama twice, based on their current rankings our ranking points would go from 661 (Sept) to 833 (November) which would put you around 28th as per the August rankings. (a draw and a win against each would give you about 749 points which ranks you about 35th.) It would be slightly better if we beat the USA, slightly worse if we beat Honduras. 

A couple of loses to Syria and we're farked... not that anyone will care about rankings in that scenario (and I acknowledge most people don't care about them anyway.... cue the "rankings are a joke" comments....)
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Syria wont be easy beats over two legs, This Socceroo side looks to be chokers and on a downer where as this Syria team are all rallied up for the play offs showing heaps of heart. Sorry but I just cant see Australia winning this one let alone the COCACAF play off. 
Is Russia 2018 the world cup Australia had to miss?

Wellington Phoenix FC

Funarch
Funarch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)

nomates - 7 Sep 2017 9:28 PM

Is Russia 2018 the world cup Australia had to miss?

In October Australia loses to Syria and in November FIFA fires Lowy and Gallop. The best thing that could happen to Football Australia. Ploughing the field for a better crop. By next January I don't want to hear the names Gallop, Lowy and Postecoglou ever again. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Funarch
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

A-League season should have started already. We have so many problems with players, surely this would eradicate at least some uncertainty from the sea of issues surrounding our players. My suggestion is start the league a month ago. even if it finishes at the same time , 4 more league games. players fit enough for the pointy end of world cup qualfiication

Edited
7 Years Ago by highkick05
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

highkick05 - 8 Sep 2017 1:14 AM
A-League season should have started already. We have so many problems with players, surely this would eradicate at least some uncertainty from the sea of issues surrounding our players. 

Feel bad for Optus, would be a major blow to there world cup coverage without the Socceroo's. Back to the dark days of following other nations at the cup?. They have a better chance of qualifying in the play offs then New Zealand. 

Wellington Phoenix FC

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

A-League season should have started already. We have so many problems with players, surely this would eradicate at least some uncertainty from the sea of issues surrounding our players. My suggestion is start the league a month ago. even if it finishes at the same time , 4 more league games. players fit enough for the pointy end of world cup qualfiication

At this stage I would even go for the 2x18 game seasons per year. Then FFA can organize some shit finals series too. Players would be on the same wage :) just some extra travel and ref costs etc
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

scott21 - 8 Sep 2017 1:26 AM

At this stage I would even go for the 2x18 game seasons per year. Then FFA can organize some shit finals series too. Players would be on the same wage :) just some extra travel and ref costs etc

bahh busted up FFA. shoot the retards. obviously Steven Lowy's ma n pa were related somehow

Tom Rogics Foot
Tom Rogics Foot
Amateur
Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)Amateur (509 reputation)

I'd say no, the teams already play each other 3 times, maybe if we had 2 more teams
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

nomates - 8 Sep 2017 1:19 AM

Feel bad for Optus, would be a major blow to there world cup coverage without the Socceroo's. Back to the dark days of following other nations at the cup?. They have a better chance of qualifying in the play offs then New Zealand. 

If you can wait 4 years if should be AFC v OFC again. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
scott21 - 8 Sep 2017 7:07 AM
nomates - 8 Sep 2017 1:19 AM

If you can wait 4 years if should be AFC v OFC again. 

The meltdown on here if it was AFC v OFC this time round.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Should Syria or Australia fly Asia’s flag in Russia?

There is some anger and plenty of disappointment in Australia as the national team ended up in third place in Group B and missed out on an automatic place at the 2018 World Cup.

The Socceroos needed four points from their final two games to be sure of a place in Russia. Defeat to Japan in Saitama Stadium made that equation impossible. That 2-0 loss, a disappointing performance against a Japan team that had been lacking confidence and fluency, meant that the final home game against Thailand was suddenly different.

For the whole campaign, that clash with the War Elephants – rightly or wrongly – was seen as a guaranteed home win, a safe port at the end of the qualification storm. It would, if necessary, provide the points necessary to get the team , which had gone from 1974 to 2006 without an appearance among the global elite, to a fourth successive World Cup.

What the loss, a first against Japan in six qualifiers since Australia joined Asia in 2006,, did was bring stress and tension to the game. Not only did Australia have to win, they had to win big to put pressure on rivals Saudi Arabia.

The West Asian team had the same points but a goal difference advantage of two. Another problem of losing in Japan was that it gave the Samurai Blue a place in Russia, removing them of the need to get a point in Jeddah.

“What if” has been a theme of the campaign: What if coach Ange Postecoglou had not switched from a back four to a back three in the middle of the stage? What if Tom Rogic had not picked up an injury? What if more than two of those 40-plus attempts against Thailand actually had ended up in the back of the net?

If there were dozens of attempts on goal, that was nothing compared to the amount of recriminations sent in the direction of Postecoglou. Many were equally wide of the mark but not all.

The boss, hailed as a visionary hero after winning the 2015 Asian Cup and trying to build a team and a way of playing for the future, has been accused of arrogantly and stubbornly using qualification as a chance to experiment. He has been charged with focusing solely on the big picture and forgetting the small detail of actually having to qualify for the World Cup.

Now the boss has the ultimate pragmatic task to handle: play-offs.

Only the maddest of soccer scientists experiments in these do-or-die showdowns. There is too much at stake. This is not the future to build towards. Win and you go to the World Cup, lose and you are in limbo for the next year.

Success means months of turbo-driven preparation, high profile friendlies and the excitement of heading towards the biggest sporting tournament on the planet. In terms of building a team, there is little experience that matches the World Cup, not to mention the financial rewards that come with it all.

That provides a fascinating backdrop to the coming two-legged playoff against Syria in October and a possible further elimination game with the fourth-placed team from the CONCAFAF region, which could be Panama, Honduras and even the United States.

Despite all the focus on the unlikely possibility of Syria making it to the World Cup, Asian fans should support Australia in the play-offs.

Syria are novel and exciting but Australia offer the best chance of Asia having five teams in the 2018 World Cup. That would be a refreshing change.

Syria are a team not to be underestimated. Tough to play against with a trio of attacking players in Omar Al Soma, Omar Khribin and Firas Al Khatib, just one of which would be welcomed by many Asian nations, the Qasioun Eagles have plenty of firepower. It is also one that is not averse to working hard to keep opponents out.

Yet while the Socceroos will do well to chat to South Korea and Iran about how to handle Syria, ultimately Australia should have enough to get through.

And more than Syria, the continental champions are the best choices to fly the flag for Asia in the final continental play-off. It is not just because Australia still has relatively recent experience of World Cup play-offs with past efforts burned into the collective soccer psyche both, for better and worse. It is a team full of players based all over the world who have one of the best coaches in Asia behind them.

Syria may make a more exciting story for fans and headline-writers around the world but for Asian football, it is good to see Australia in the play-offs.

At times, Australia have been accused of not doing enough for its new confederation. Now, they can give the continent a fifth team at the World Cup and Asian fans should get behind their champions.

Should Syria or Australia fly Asia's flag in Russia? - FOX SPORTS

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
Funarch
Funarch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)

Wikipedia shows the last 19 games of the Syrian NT since 31.May'16. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria_national_football_team

19 games, 6 wins, 4 losses and 9 draws. But what's interesting is that Syria has not conceded more than 2 goals in any of those 19 matches. They never lost "at home" (in Malaysia). All their losses were away. 3 times they lost 0:1 and once 0:2.

So they are hard to score against. Australia has very poor finishers. There are a million South American park Footballers who have a better shot than the Socceroos. 

So we are very unlikely to see the Socceroos scoring plenty . Maybe one (maximum 2 at home) and probably none in Malaysia.

nomates
nomates
World Class

5 teams from AFC at Russia would be great!.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Funarch
Funarch
Hardcore Fan

nomates - 8 Sep 2017 6:08 PM
5 teams from AFC at Russia would be great!.

But unfair, really. There will be several much stronger teams from Europe and South America missing out... Hence that's why FIFA decided to change the format and there will be 48 teams at the WC in 2026 which will most likely be hosted by USA, Canada + Mexico (Trump is supporting it)
Edited
7 Years Ago by Funarch
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

NRL final on Sunday 1 October. Enough time to prepare a billiard table for the lads?

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Who would a pens keeper be?

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Just out of interest, is it possible t select an exact seat for the pre sale? Just browsing what it's like in the stadium.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

scott21 - 8 Sep 2017 9:19 PM
Who would a pens keeper be?

Langerak easy.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search