Australia vs Honduras *squad announced page 5*

Australia vs Honduras *squad announced page 5*

Author
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This will be the match thread. The pre discussion has started nicely on the single Honduras thread. 

The home leg at ANZ again no doubt? This is going to be intense but we're battle hardened from this first playoff and Honduras don't travel well. Do we? I wouldn't bet on this tie.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Going by stats Elis and Acosta may be suspended for the first match.
The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

How is it fair to suspend people when they are part of completely different qualifying systems. Its dumb. 
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

Cards are wiped from 1st to 2nd leg in AFC. Wish they were for intercontinental playoffs.

Pissed this game is at ANZ though.
SpongeBobFC
SpongeBobFC
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Not a bad little insight to the US's game in Honduras. 

Image may contain: text

Ainsley Harriott
Ainsley Harriott
Fan
Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)

This game i would be happy with a 1-0 loss (and obviously a win or draw). I think a 2-0 win for them might be to much for us, but we would still have some hope considering they dont travel well. 3-0 or greater and its over.

I think the first game away we need to line up like we did against Syria in Malaysia, with the wingbacks being specialized fullbacks. We were heading for our first cleansheet in a long time before the pen that wasent got awarded. I would use the same pair of Ridson and Behich as the wingback options.

I think we can win our home game, just cant see us smashing them 3 or 4 nil though.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
We have too much trouble breaking down defenses and rarely score, with 3 at the back and pushing forward, I reckon mistakes that allow counter attacks will be our downfall. They will be quick to capitalise and punish us. quicker then any Asian side. 
We struggled getting 2 goals in open play in any match we played and leaked goals,we will need at least 2 away goals against these guys to have a hope of coming home with a chance, and I think this is a mountain too high. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Calling it now.  We won't qualify for the world cup.  I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it happening.

Honduras 2 or 3 nil winners at home.

Australia, if we're lucky, a draw at home.

Honduras through.

Member since 2008.

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Would it be too much of an ask to get them to play different formations in the two legs?

Professional footballers should be able to adapt quickly.

Three central defenders does work (when used properly). The Confederations Cup match against Chile and the match against Syria attest to that. It balances attack and defence far better than 4-3-3 (when the latter has overlapping fullbacks) which leaves us too defensively imperilled.

I reckon 4-2-3-1 (with a flat back four) away. That's the best way to limit the damage.

And then when they get to Sydney, play the same formation that was used against Syria. Three central defenders and dynamic wingbacks.
Edited
7 Years Ago by quickflick
Ainsley Harriott
Ainsley Harriott
Fan
Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)Fan (51 reputation)

I will laugh if he Ange does 3 at the back with 1 holding mid, like his formation he started with last night. We would seriously lose by 5+ with that formation. I would hope Ange knows that would be suicide though.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Ainsley Harriott - 11 Oct 2017 9:53 PM
I will laugh if he Ange does 3 at the back with 1 holding mid, like his formation he started with last night. We would seriously lose by 5+ with that formation. I would hope Ange knows that would be suicide though.

Going by today's shock rumour, think he has worked that part out already 
Edited
7 Years Ago by StiflersMom
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Nah I say the other one is match thread.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

We'll have to be very tidy at the back for the away leg. Can we even score in Honduras? Thankfully almost everyone should have match time under their belt.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I reckon Robbie Kruse playing away is a bad idea away. He gets incredibly stroppy and it won't be helpful if he chucks a tanty away in awful conditions.

I'm also iffy about Tom Rogic starting away. He is not good defensively. And defence is the most important thing away. Better to use Big Tam as an impact player away and then get 90 minutes out of him Sydney.

Mitch Langerak should be in goals for the first leg. He's our best shot-stopper by a country mile. We need a strong goalkeeper for the away leg. It's madness not put him in goals and could cost us dearly.

I didn't think Nikita Rukya did badly against Syria. He or Awer Mabil could be an option.

Also, honestly, Nathan Burns is worth a shout.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

We will lose. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Welcome to 'hell', says former Socceroos coach

Tim Cahill and the Socceroos face Honduras in a two-legged playoff for World Cup qualification next month.
Tim Cahill and the Socceroos face Honduras in a two-legged playoff for World Cup qualification next month.DEAN LEWINS

FOOTBALL: Socceroos fans thought avoiding USA would be a good result.

No one quite expected it to happen this way, though.

Bruce Arena's side inexplicably butchered their third place on the final day of CONCACAF Qualifying, with a 2-1 loss to minnows Trinidad and Tobago.

At the same time, results conspired against them, with Mexico and Costa Rica, already qualified, taking their foot off the gas against desperate Panama and Honduras.

The former leaped into third place to qualify automatically, while Honduras set up a playoff against Australia.

The first leg will be away at Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano, San Pedro Sula, on November 6. The return is in Sydney on November 14 with both dates to be confirmed.

Former Socceroos boss Holger Osieck, in an interview talking about the so-called challenges in Asia, referred to his time as Canada boss travelling to places like Honduras, Costa Rica and Mexico for World Cup qualifiers.

"At times it's hell, you cannot imagine what happens there,” he said.

"I would like to see some of the European teams play there under these conditions.

"They set you up in the jungle, and then 2,000 metres high, airconditioning that doesn't work in the hotel, you cannot close the windows, you have the mosquitoes everywhere, the food.

"You have noise outside the hotel, people they stay the entire night on the streets, the drumming and trumpeting whatever, then in the games (with) reckless tackles, it's not easy.

"If the top teams in Europe go there they would struggle, so that is very often underrated and I think the same goes here (in Asia).”

Fox Sports football reporter Daniel Garb told Fox Sports News Honduras was the scenario FFA did not want.

"They wanted Panama - far easier logistically in terms of travel, training pitches, hotels.

"Honduras is, as they put it bluntly, rough.

"You can see it now, fans abusing Socceroos when they arrive; rocks being thrown at the hotel at night, all the dirty tricks part and parcel of international football.”

Fox Sports' Robbie Slater added: "I went to hostile places like Iran 1997, Buenos Aires, against super power Argentina.

"You're going into countries where football is a religion.

"Going back to the 2001 (Uruguay) experience, we did do the stupid thing of acting like tourists and walking through the front door.

"Those experiences have been learnt through the years. FFA will have a security plan in place where they will sneak out.

"But you still have to live in that atmosphere, which is desperate to go to the World Cup.”

Welcome to 'hell', says former Socceroos coach | Sunshine Coast Daily

Image result for welcome to hell gif

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Away:

------------------------------------------------------------Cahill-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodwin-------------------------------------------------Irvine--------------------------------------------------------------------Rukavytsya

--------------------------------------------Jedinak---------------------------------------------Mooy-------------------------------------------

Behich--------------------------------Sainsbury------------------------------------Degenek-----------------------------------------Risdon

------------------------------------------------------------------Langerak-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It must be a flat back four. Needs really gutsy defending. There are still routes to goal. Irvine can play more advanced roles and scores (as he was doing quite a bit for Burton Albion). Irvine can also defend well from the front and is very mobile. We are going to be able to counter-attack down the wings at the speed of light (even without Leckie). If they push forward, we'll have those options.

Then, in Sydney, three central defenders and wingbacks which tuck in but also run the length of the pitch.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

I think Irvine needs to play the first leg. The first game should be more physical. 

I would also not start Kruse because of this. 
Proud2BeCanberran
Proud2BeCanberran
Pro
Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)Pro (4.5K reputation)

-----------------------Ryan--------------------------
-------Degenek---Sainsbury----Jurman-------
-----------------Jedinak---Mooy--------------------
Risdon---------------Irvine-----------------Gersbach
--------------------Cahill-------------------------------
-------------------------------Juric---------------------

Langerak, Vukovic, Wright, Spiranovic, Luongo, Milligan (suspended), Rogic, Leckie (suspended), Kruse, Goodwin, Behich, Rukavytsya

A week between games means we should be confident Cahill and Mooy can play and they are probably two of our better athletes in the team so I'd back them to recover. I'm tempted to have Luongo in there ahead of Juric pushing Cahill a bit further up field. 

Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

We'll need Kruse away. We've already lost Leckie and need some experience on the wings. If Kruse is a sook, Mabil is an absolute liability when it comes to reacting to niggles and this is not the game to cap someone. We will be flat out replacing Leckie, let alone another winger.

Irvine is a good call.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

USA drew with them in Honduras while they beat them 6:0 at home. 

Honduras love getting a card and are very enigmatic. 

For the away leg we need to get some kind of result. I'd go with

Langerak
Degenek, Sainsbury, Jurman, Gersbach
                  Jedinak  Mooy
                        Irvine           
         Kruse       Cahill       Goodwin

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

This is easy. Just set up our base in Mexico, Panama or Costa Rica. Fly in, fly out. Get the hell out.

lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Jedinak looks like he could be racing to be fit for the away leg. Throw him  at them.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2017/10/11/aston-villas-mile-jedinak-could-return-for-wolves-clash/

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

whats with people selecting langerak?
The guy has played 1 professional season in his entire career, can't get off the bench and has an epl first choice keeper ahead of him

imagine if smith was still being selected over an epl first choice

smh
onthefence
onthefence
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)Hardcore Fan (181 reputation)

------------------Ryan--------------------
----Degenek-Sainsbury-Jurman----
------------Jedinak-Irvine--------------
-Risdon-------Mooy-----------Behich-
------------------Troisi--------------------
------------------Juric---------------------

I reckon it'll be something like this - there will be some acknowledgment that we're playing in a hostile, tropical shithole and the wingers will be defensively minded. He'll keep Cahill to be fresh for the 2nd leg in front of 80000, as he did for this one. Kruse, Luongo and Rogic off the bench.

I don't get the pessimism. Honduras should come at us at home, and that suits us. If we snag an away goal or two, and don't lose by more than one, we're in with a good shout at home.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

honduras are favourites with the bookies. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Looking at their results and highlights they appear to be poorly organised at the back. It's dreamland for Cahill to roam in, Juric too. Up until last night they had 10 points from 9 games and ended on 13. We had 19 from 10 games. Their advantage is going to be little travel firstly and they're used to the conditions. Going by the USA game there, they're pretty determined to get in the way of the ball and aren't afraid to fly towards it when attacking. That new forum member gave a great summary in another thread.

Home

Panama 0:1
Trinidad 3:1
Costa Rica 1:1
USA 1:1
Mexico 3:2

Away

USA 0:6
Mexico 0:3
Panama 2:2
Trinidad 1:2
Costa Rica 1:1
tfozz
tfozz
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

Honduras are marginal favourites at home rarely playing away will we be favourites. A draw or marginal loss is fine. I would expect Honduras to leak goals in Aus just not sure how clinical we will be.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

tfozz - 12 Oct 2017 7:01 AM
Honduras are marginal favourites at home rarely playing away will we be favourites. A draw or marginal loss is fine. I would expect Honduras to leak goals in Aus just not sure how clinical we will be.

they would leak goals against a team that doesnt wait for them to set up defensively every time they get the ball.  that's not us.  

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search