Change Australia Day

Change Australia Day

Author
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Munrubenmuz - 25 Jan 2018 7:52 AM
On another matter I had a conversation yesterday when someone said 'aboriginal'.  I said 'well you're not supposed to call them that anymore, you're supposed to say "indigenous".

Third person steps in and says 'actually you can't call them that either, you should say "first nations or first nations people".'

Lo and behold on that Tom Ballard ABC show there's Tom using the term 'first nations'.

Has the world gone mad?  Do 'blackfellas' actually care or are SJW's getting outraged on their behalf?

Need this bloke to answer:  http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/aboriginal-friend-asked-to-speak-on-behalf-of-700000-people-in-passing-conversation/

It really isn't that hard.
There are 2 main distinct ethnic groups that for the people indigenous to the territories of Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. If you're talking about the Aboriginal people specifically, then using the term Aboriginal is fine. However when you're talking about more general issues at a national scale (i.e. things that affect both groups) then the full term "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, indigenous or first nations is more appropriate.

I don't think any reasonable person would be outraged if you used 3 of the 4 terms you used in your post in casual conversation, however you'd expect people in the media or politics to know which is most appropriate. Why get so worked up about it though?

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
mcjules - 25 Jan 2018 11:35 AM
BETHFC - 24 Jan 2018 6:42 PM

Well yeah but mostly it's because she's proven plenty of times that she can't put a decent argument forward and support it with facts. She's just an outrage merchant peddling to people that already have a certain point of view. People here should be wary of it because they saw it first hand when they published her column about hooligans but i know confirmation bias is strong.

As I mentioned before, aside from the video posted in this thread (and a couple of others), friendlyjordies videos often agree with my view on things but his arguments are usually poor and often sensationalised. He's a Panahi/Devine/Bolt for under 35 males with a left of centre (economically) point of view.

She talks a lot of nonsense on Sky news. Pretty sure shes on the Bolt Show every 3 or 4 days so that tells you all you need to know about her. 

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

mcjules - 25 Jan 2018 11:43 AM

There are 2 main distinct ethnic groups that for the people indigenous to the territories of Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. If you're talking about the Aboriginal people specifically, then using the term Aboriginal is fine. However when you're talking about more general issues at a national scale (i.e. things that affect both groups) then the full term "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, indigenous or first nations is more appropriate.

I don't think any reasonable person would be outraged if you used 3 of the 4 terms you used in your post in casual conversation, however you'd expect people in the media or politics to know which is most appropriate. Why get so worked up about it though?

I think you mean to say 'it really SHOULDN'T be that hard.'

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2015/08/why-saying-aborigine-isnt-ok-8-facts-about-indigenous-people-in-australia/
https://www.crikey.com.au/2012/08/15/indigenous-aboriginal-or-aborigine-its-not-black-and-white/

As for getting worked up about nothing (I'm not) shouldn't you be asking the perpetually outraged why they're getting so worked up about it?

Member since 2008.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

Agreed its not that hard. I notice that induction forms for some sites "are you of first nation descent" these days. 

"Indigenous/First nations" is easier than saying "aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander" anyway. 

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

BETHFC - 25 Jan 2018 12:19 PM

Agreed its not that hard. I notice that induction forms for some sites "are you of first nation descent" these days. 

"Indigenous/First nations" is easier than saying "aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander" anyway. 

Mate whatever.  I just want to use the correct term without pissing someone off inadvertently. 

But it does beg the question that if it was ok to say 'aboriginal' and then not, and then it was ok to say 'indigenous' and then not how long will it be before 'first nations' will be a term that's become offensive?

It's a ridiculous, goal post moving, war of semantics.

Member since 2008.

BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class

Munrubenmuz - 25 Jan 2018 12:27 PM

Mate whatever.  I just want to use the correct term without pissing someone off inadvertently. 

But it does beg the question that if it was ok to say 'aboriginal' and then not, and then it was ok to say 'indigenous' and then not how long will it be before 'first nations' will be a term that's become offensive?

I don't disagree with you, just saying I have noticed the change on some induction forms and I don't think its too hard to say indigenous. 

Society these days is about stepping on eggshells all day trying to not offend anyone. But we're straight white males, anything we say is invalid and loaded with privilege haha.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 25 Jan 2018 12:17 PM

I think you mean to say 'it really SHOULDN'T be that hard.'

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2015/08/why-saying-aborigine-isnt-ok-8-facts-about-indigenous-people-in-australia/
https://www.crikey.com.au/2012/08/15/indigenous-aboriginal-or-aborigine-its-not-black-and-white/

As for getting worked up about nothing (I'm not) shouldn't you be asking the perpetually outraged why they're getting so worked up about it?

I actually have read those articles before and pretty much confirms what I wrote. Indigenous has some baggage with it but it's still widely used and accepted by many in the community so pitchforks aren't going to come out for you for using that term.

mcjules
mcjules
World Class

The issue with your premise is that you said Aboriginal wasn't ok to use and now it is. That's never been the case.

There are two problems with this "goal post moving, war of semantics" argument:
1. Language is constantly evolving and the terminology used for things change. It's not always because of the SJW PC brigade and causing offence.
2. Evidence is we're moving towards a point of consensus rather than flip flopping about. 

Anyway I'm not an expert at these things and no sane person expects the average joe working on engineering roads and bridges to get it 100% correct so why would they get pissed off inadvertently? 

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

It still is ok to use the term Aboriginal ... the issue arose on the international stage because aborigine is a generic term to describe plants, animals or people first on the land. So Native Americans are aborigines, Inuits are aborigines, eucalypts are aborigines etc. etc. So internationally they were referred to as Australian Aborigines, government's (esp. federal) adopted Indigenous for many departments as it covered Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders under one umbrella (some states such as WA still have simply Aboriginal departments as the Torres Strait Islands are not in WA).

I don't believe First Nations is used in any official documentation (except in Canada where the term is from). I don't believe "nation" would be an accurate description of Aboriginal culture or society in Australia either. Most Aborigines identify themselves belonging to a certain "people" or land (and sea). Not a "nation".
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

mcjules - 25 Jan 2018 1:01 PM
The issue with your premise is that you said Aboriginal wasn't ok to use and now it is. That's never been the case.

There are two problems with this "goal post moving, war of semantics" argument:
1. Language is constantly evolving and the terminology used for things change. It's not always because of the SJW PC brigade and causing offence.
2. Evidence is we're moving towards a point of consensus rather than flip flopping about. 

Anyway I'm not an expert at these things and no sane person expects the average joe working on engineering roads and bridges to get it 100% correct so why would they get pissed off inadvertently? 

I finished school in 2002, i studied australian history and we had member of the wathaurong come in... at that point aborigine was the preferred term, which as previously stated by someone else was the term used internationally.
Aboriginal was also used but not the preferred term. Then aborigine was frowned upon, now we use indiginous even though now that is becoming frowned upon and is perceived as if they are at the same level as plants etc etc. Now some areas are saying aborigines/aboriginals/first nations.

The other thing is not all the nation's agree, which makes it hard, they don't all agree that australia day is necessarily A bad thing. Its not as if all the nation's have voted for a spokesperson, if they have it appears its a twentysomething, sun avoiding, vegan art student from fitzroy.

Muz
Muz
Legend

mcjules - 25 Jan 2018 1:01 PM

You've got that arse about.  I said it was ok to say aboriginal and now it isn't.

And it was the case.

Member since 2008.

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Offensive to who though? The mostly white PC brigade? A handful of indigenous academics or politicians who have more in common with Australia's sociopolitical elite than those in remote communities? Moving the goalposts with words and terms is the only way for these types to stay relevant imo.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Don't see what changing the date will achieve. People will just whinge at the new date being the new INVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASION DAY.

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Changed my Fb status to Happy Australia Day with Aussie flags either side.

Will be fun to see who falls into the trap....

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
You really have your fucking head in your ass if you think the term ‘indigenous’ is offensive. Fucking shoot me.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Rofl Pita is literally that, a pain in the arse.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

*Edit* cheers TSF

Biggest genocide in history? There'd be a few people in Europe and Africa who'd raise an eyebrow at that one...

And is anybody capable of self-determination actually triggered by a date?

">

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Edited
6 Years Ago by Captain Haddock
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 26 Jan 2018 1:24 PM
Trying to post images here is fucked.">
">
">

Copy paste. 

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

How long until first nations is deemed racist and derogatory, and a new term is needed? The term ‘first’ has connotations of primordiality, which is closely related to the word primitive, which is bound to be accepted as offensive by some. Also ’first’ is derived from the German word furst, which means Prince, which has strong patriarchal, masculine, heteronormative, binary, misognynstic connotations, and is deeply dismissive of indgenous women and their excellecnet contributions to society. Expect a taxpayer funded Sydney University Phd course exploring the impact of patriarchal language on indigenous women social outcomes soon, and the findings to be the leading issue on q and a.

Then theres the word ‘nations’ plural, which could be decoded as a white suprecmasicst plot to divide indigenous resolve and a precipitate a neo genocide of aboriginals and their culture.

This is why Indigenous are suffering. How the fuck they gonna solve alcoholism, crime, child rape, domestic violence when they cant even figure out what to call themselves.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

rusty - 26 Jan 2018 2:13 PM
How long until first nations is deemed racist and derogatory, and a new term is needed? The term ‘first’ has connotations of primordiality, which is closely related to the word primitive, which is bound to be accepted as offensive by some. Also ’first’ is derived from the German word furst, which means Prince, which has strong patriarchal, masculine, heteronormative, binary, misognynstic connotations, and is deeply dismissive of indgenous women and their excellecnet contributions to society. Expect a taxpayer funded Sydney University Phd course exploring the impact of patriarchal language on indigenous women social outcomes soon, and the findings to be the leading issue on q and a.Then theres the word ‘nations’ plural, which could be decoded as a white suprecmasicst plot to divide indigenous resolve and a precipitate a neo genocide of aboriginals and their culture.This is why Indigenous are suffering. How the fuck they gonna solve alcoholism, crime, child rape, domestic violence when they cant even figure out what to call themselves.

they can can themselves whatever they want to call themselves you fucking bigot.

shock. some people don't like collective nouns used to describe them.  particularly ones that have been use to harm and deride them and their families.

Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

I get called white fella, so I call em black fella in return. Case closed.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

inala brah - 26 Jan 2018 4:22 PM
rusty - 26 Jan 2018 2:13 PM

shock. some people don't like collective nouns used to describe them.  particularly ones that have been use to harm and deride them and their families.

The term 'indigenous' has been used to harm and deride? Really? 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Muz
Muz
Legend

Captain Haddock - 26 Jan 2018 1:24 PM
*Edit* cheers TSF

Biggest genocide in history? There'd be a few people in Europe and Africa who'd raise an eyebrow at that one...

And is anybody capable of self-determination actually triggered by a date?

">

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genocides_by_death_toll

Member since 2008.

rusty
rusty
World Class

^^ left wing politicians, activists and academics like to include mixed race children and stolen generation as part of their ‘genocide’ count, mostly because the word carries a strong emotive response, and also because it inflates the statistics, making it seem much worse that it actually was. In 50 years time they will look back on today and call the high aboriginal incarceration rates and deaths in custody a “genocide , the systematic extermination of the aboriginal race”.
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I actually couldn't care what day its on, but change the day and we are still celebrating the same thing, only thing that will happen is the do gooders will then want to abolish Australia day maybe replace it with something that  has meaning to Aboriginals.

There were about 1000 protesters in Brisbane on Australia day, pretty sure there were 1000 times that celebrating the day

We've been giving in to the demands of minorities lately and really that has to stop, I growing rather tired of having to check myself so as not to offend someone. 
Captain Haddock
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro

I'd like to see Australia Day turned into a long weekend. Make it either Friday public holiday or Monday public holiday, depending which day is closest to the 26th. 

It's better then having Tuesday off then back to work again on Wednesday, and from an employers' perspective it's better than having Aus day fall on a Thursday then a mass of workers conveniently pulling a sickie on Friday.

Yet even doing this, the same people jumping up and down and wanting to "burn Australia to the ground" will move on to wanting to change the flag/ the anthem and basically anything else that goes against the grand vision of their thought leaders...

Muz
Muz
Legend

Captain Haddock - 28 Jan 2018 6:52 PM
 I'd like to see Australia Day turned into a long weekend. Make it either Friday public holiday or Monday public holiday, depending which day is closest to the 26th. 

It's better then having Tuesday off then back to work again on Wednesday, and from an employers' perspective it's better than having Aus day fall on a Thursday then a mass of workers conveniently pulling a sickie on Friday.

Yet even doing this, the same people jumping up and down and wanting to "burn Australia to the ground" will move on to wanting to change the flag/ the anthem and basically anything else that goes against the grand vision of their thought leaders...

It was a long weekend in NSW no matter what day it fell on years ago.  Then they changed it to the actual day being a public holiday ostensibly to make it a more meaningful day rather than just some random day off like the Queen's birthday.

Member since 2008.

StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 28 Jan 2018 6:52 PM

Yeah , that works for me
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Genuinely don't the big deal about why it HAS to be on January 26. It could be any other day in summer and would be celebrated in the exact same way, only difference being more people would feel far more comfortable joining in.

Viennese Vuck

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

StiflersMom - 28 Jan 2018 5:28 PM
I actually couldn't care what day its on, but change the day and we are still celebrating the same thing, only thing that will happen is the do gooders will then want to abolish Australia day maybe replace it with something that  has meaning to Aboriginals.

There were about 1000 protesters in Brisbane on Australia day, pretty sure there were 1000 times that celebrating the day

We've been giving in to the demands of minorities lately and really that has to stop, I growing rather tired of having to check myself so as not to offend someone. 

There is a growing call for the day to be celebrated when we stopped being a British colony and actually became a nation.. in 1901. Jan I is already taken so make it the day of the first sitting of an Australian Parliament.  Surely indigenous Australians can not have a beef about that.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search