2018/19 Shield Cricket

2018/19 Shield Cricket

Author
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Baggers what happened to Abbott? I thought he played well in the first game 5/ under 100 is not a bad return and he batted well

Also what happened to Winter surely they didn't drop him after his 3/130 return? If they did, stupid selectors! He could have been the difference between the draw and outright for SA.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

MikeR - 29 Oct 2018 8:35 AM
baggygreenmania - 28 Oct 2018 5:40 PM

Interesting thoughts on Patterson, Baggers. I guess Victoria didn't score 450 on the same deck, didn't win by an innings and 107 runs and Harris didn't score 250 on that deck, but that is the difference in perception. By the same argument Jack Edwards did score 34 in the first innings but you seem critical of his performance. Nick Larkin did score 75 runs in the match but in all honesty I think he is struggling. Patterson is the best of a bad bunch but I think Lehmann's performance following his previous game performance against NSW shows he's in pretty good nick currently.

After 2 rounds with positions up for grabs in the Australian side we have some standout performances with the bat averaging over 45
Harris (276) Pucovski (243) Wade (119.5) Lehmann (110) S Marsh (89) Cooper (74.66) Doolan (51.75) Heazlett (47.66) Cartwright (46.66)

So though there has been discussion about poor innings and sides being bowled out under 200, there are some good quality batsmen managing to score runs, so there are many options available for selectors. Throw Khawaja and Finch in as certain starters there are the makings of a decent batting line up.

For the bowlers Green and Bell have been standouts along with Bolland and Tremain managing to bowl sides out to give the Vics 2 outrights (might as well award the Victorians the shield now as they look head and shoulders above the rest).

Interesting thoughts on the ABC radio yesterday, suggesting that if Australia play well in the upcoming series against India, Warner and Smith may not be selected to tour England as they have no form or games prior to the tour to justify their selection. 

Ever heard of scoreboard pressure Mike. Patterson batted under that the whole match. He is by far the best of a bad lot. All he needs to complete his game is coverting. Five 100s from 54 matches is not good. But in his defence he has passed 50..thirty times. Lehmann has passed fifty 18 times from 39 games. They both share a @41 average. Patterson has the more solid technique and is the best cover driver I have seen since Greg Chappell..

Bird, Copeland, Tremain and Boland lead the bowlers.. with Green and Bell close behind. Copeland has shouldered the Blues attack for several years. Has 300 plus FC wickets. Can think of worse bowlers that have played international cricket.

There is also a push by the players union to have the remainded of their ban lifted so they can play in India series. Yes have Smith back but leave the attack dog in his kennel.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

But that has been the case for a long time now in regards to the U17 and U19, but we have produced legends of the game recently, such as Hayden Langer Ponting, Gilchrist etc, why has it changed now.

If we want to go ever back further. AB was a pugilist with an eye like a dead fish tho not a great technician, same with Hayden and Gilchrist. Ponting was suss outside the off stump early in his innings and was a walking LB even up till retirement. For mine Steve Waugh was the most technically proficient of our greats. He worked his bum off after he went 20 Tests without a ton. Went onto be the bloke you most want with you in the trenches. Wish he was the Aussie batting coach.

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 29 Oct 2018 10:36 AM

But that has been the case for a long time now in regards to the U17 and U19, but we have produced legends of the game recently, such as Hayden Langer Ponting, Gilchrist etc, why has it changed now.

If we want to go ever back further. AB was a pugilist with an eye like a dead fish tho not a great technician, same with Hayden and Gilchrist. Ponting was suss outside the off stump early in his innings and was a walking LB even up till retirement. For mine Steve Waugh was the most technically proficient of our greats. He worked his bum off after he went 20 Tests without a ton. Went onto be the bloke you most want with you in the trenches. Wish he was the Aussie batting coach.

My point is Baggers that I don't think there is a problem with the U17 and U19 comp as it stands currently, it hasn't really changed over the years yet we have produced great players from that system. It is totally the mental attitude of the youth.

When we talk about weaknesses in a batsman, Steve Waugh is one to prove that there are ways around these weaknesses that may not be technically correct but effective. Steve Waugh against the short ball was a problem for him, and I don't think the coaching manuals say "let it hit you". That comes from what you talk about "pride in wearing the baggy green". Guts and determination. Something missing in our youth. Hayden wasn't a technical player as such but worked his butt off in the nets to find a way around his weaknesses, practice makes perfect, and is arguably the best opening batsmen Australia has produced in his ability to score runs regardless of his inefficiencies. Another thing missing in the youth willingness to work hard.

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 29 Oct 2018 10:25 AM

Ever heard of scoreboard pressure Mike. Patterson batted under that the whole match. He is by far the best of a bad lot. All he needs to complete his game is coverting. Five 100s from 54 matches is not good. But in his defence he has passed 50..thirty times. Lehmann has passed fifty 18 times from 39 games. They both share a @41 average. Patterson has the more solid technique and is the best cover driver I have seen since Greg Chappell..

Bird, Copeland, Tremain and Boland lead the bowlers.. with Green and Bell close behind. Copeland has shouldered the Blues attack for several years. Has 300 plus FC wickets. Can think of worse bowlers that have played international cricket.

There is also a push by the players union to have the remainded of their ban lifted so they can play in India series. Yes have Smith back but leave the attack dog in his kennel.

Scoreboard pressure would be what Qld were facing and a young 23 year old stood up and and saw out a days play. For NSW when Edwards fell in the 2nd innings NSW went 4 down trailing by 140, with Patterson well into his innings, a few decent partnerships could have maybe saved some face for the Blues but Patterson fell soon after and it was over, so I could say Patterson succumbed to the pressure, which may also explain his poor conversion rate, the pressure of the situation gets to him. See there are different ways of looking at things, some with blue glasses on some with maroon glasses.

You know how I always say Bias in the media, this headline just makes me laugh from cricket.com.au "Brave Blues defy Vics to force day four". Really that's how NSW media saw that game? How would you have put the headline Baggers? I don't think Brave is the first word that comes to mind.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

You know how I always say Bias in the media, this headline just makes me laugh from cricket.com.au "Brave Blues defy Vics to force day four". Really that's how NSW media saw that game? How would you have put the headline Baggers? I don't think Brave is the first word that comes to mind.         

Blatant bias. As for Patterson, the MCG deck did a little something the entire game. Difference between us and the Vics is they had a strong pace attack that could exploit that something. Yes it may have been the second innings with batting easier, Patterson still had to survive the relentless pressure put on him by Tremain, Boland and Fawad. Fekete is an under rated bowler.. It may have helped Patterson's cause to go on like Heazlett did had someone stayed with him. We needed a hard head like Henriques to be the one but he has a soft underbelly.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 29 Oct 2018 11:31 AM
baggygreenmania - 29 Oct 2018 10:36 AM

My point is Baggers that I don't think there is a problem with the U17 and U19 comp as it stands currently, it hasn't really changed over the years yet we have produced great players from that system. It is totally the mental attitude of the youth.

When we talk about weaknesses in a batsman, Steve Waugh is one to prove that there are ways around these weaknesses that may not be technically correct but effective. Steve Waugh against the short ball was a problem for him, and I don't think the coaching manuals say "let it hit you". That comes from what you talk about "pride in wearing the baggy green". Guts and determination. Something missing in our youth. Hayden wasn't a technical player as such but worked his butt off in the nets to find a way around his weaknesses, practice makes perfect, and is arguably the best opening batsmen Australia has produced in his ability to score runs regardless of his inefficiencies. Another thing missing in the youth willingness to work hard.

Agree Mike about working hard to oversome any deficencies. Mental attitude, determination and "pride in the Baggy Green". Khawaja, Paine and Head showed it in the UAE. Heazlett's performance also encapsulated all those platitudes. So did Patterson's tho on a smaller scale .

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

I do Mike. Our youth are being force fed limited overs cricket. You dont need a technique to play that.. just a good eye. So when do they get tuition in correct technique, develope that mental attitude needed for occupying the crease for hours on end to win or draw a Shield or Test match. Do Premier Cricket clubs have coaches? That would be their only avenue open for working on a poor technique.

MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

When I look at Sangha, Edwards, McSweeney etc they have to do time progressing through the ranks, it works out some of their problems. Futures is a step up from Grade cricket and in McSweeney's case he has spent a bit of time in Futures scoring at least one century that I remember, and his promotion to shield you could say was a success being able to last 179 balls on a seaming wicket against a very good pace attack from Tasmania, shows he has something. In Edwards and Sangha's case I don't believe they have played that much Futures, especially Sangha, and I know there hasn't been any innings of note from either. Sangha's work up in the media is all based on grade cricket performances and has been going on for a couple of years now, these players need to sort out their deficiencies before promotion, and they are there, otherwise the quality shield bowlers are going to destroy their potential very quickly. Great example is Handscomb, it didn't take long for the international bowlers to work him out. Smith when he first started was bad and demoting him back to Shield cricket did wonders for him. In Edwards case his initial motion is strange, but he has manged to put together some runs, but Kepler Wessels had a strange style as well.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

I do Mike. Our youth are being force fed limited overs cricket. You dont need a technique to play that.. just a good eye. So when do they get tuition in correct technique, develope that mental attitude needed for occupying the crease for hours on end to win or draw a Shield or Test match. Do Premier Cricket clubs have coaches? That would be their only avenue open for working on a poor technique.
baggygreenmania - 29 Oct 2018 1:18 PM

Mike have moved a couple of these posts to the General Discussion thread.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 29 Oct 2018 1:35 PM
When I look at Sangha, Edwards, McSweeney etc they have to do time progressing through the ranks, it works out some of their problems. Futures is a step up from Grade cricket and in McSweeney's case he has spent a bit of time in Futures scoring at least one century that I remember, and his promotion to shield you could say was a success being able to last 179 balls on a seaming wicket against a very good pace attack from Tasmania, shows he has something. In Edwards and Sangha's case I don't believe they have played that much Futures, especially Sangha, and I know there hasn't been any innings of note from either. Sangha's work up in the media is all based on grade cricket performances and has been going on for a couple of years now, these players need to sort out their deficiencies before promotion, and they are there, otherwise the quality shield bowlers are going to destroy their potential very quickly. Great example is Handscomb, it didn't take long for the international bowlers to work him out. Smith when he first started was bad and demoting him back to Shield cricket did wonders for him. In Edwards case his initial motion is strange, but he has manged to put together some runs, but Kepler Wessels had a strange style as well.

Agreed a spell in FL for Sangha will do him no harm. At least with the advent of FL it offers a red ball platform between PC and Shield before which there was nothing. I guarantee Edwards has not played much FL. He is only 18. He should have been playing Premier Cricket for at least another two years. This kid is no Steve Waugh so why has he been fast tracked so soon when more talented players such as Param have been left in limbo.. I know because he has caused a stir in 50 over cricket. Youngest to score a U19 ton.. was it?

Moving this to other thread.

Brew
Brew
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)Hardcore Fan (274 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
baggygreenmania - 29 Oct 2018 10:25 AM

I'd rather  see Smith serve his time.

He displayed  weak character.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

Shaun Marsh has made runs again in the Shield.

At 35, surely he has had his time as a test player as has failed to do the job adequately after many opportunities.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Keyboard Warrior
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 29 Oct 2018 4:07 PM
Shaun Marsh has made runs again in the Shield.

At 35, surely he has had his time as a test payer and has failed to do the job adequately after many opportunities.

Ditto. But he is an all time CA pet...so will  be picked for First Test.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Nick Bertus surely must come into strong consideration to bolster a floundering Blues batting lineup after yet another FL century. He is killing them in PC too with 275 runs @90 after a handful of rounds. Param Uppal hurt his chances of a call up by failing with the bat. He did take two wickets tho with his tidy off spin.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 17 Oct 2018 1:42 PM
baggygreenmania - 17 Oct 2018 1:28 PM

Why do Blues keep picking loser O'Keefe.

He was a test bowler not long ago with some reasonable returns in Asia.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Keyboard Warrior - 31 Oct 2018 12:17 AM
baggygreenmania - 17 Oct 2018 1:42 PM

He was a test bowler not long ago with some reasonable returns in Asia.

SOK has never been a Test standard bowler imho. He bowled nude darts when he first came into the scene yonks ago and still bowls same. He has, in his defence, always had accuracy as his major asset.
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star

baggygreenmania - 1 Nov 2018 8:25 AM

SOK has never been a Test standard bowler imho. He bowled nude darts when he first came into the scene yonks ago and still bowls same. He has, in his defence, always had accuracy as his major asset.

He is very accurate, even if he imparts little spin.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

KW was wondering why so long between Shield games. Still three more days till next one. Who do you support?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Warne doesn't like him, but he has had qualified success in Asia on turning wickets.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 30 Oct 2018 8:09 PM
Keyboard Warrior - 29 Oct 2018 4:07 PM

Ditto. But he is an all time CA pet...so will  be picked for First Test.

Marsh has played 34 Tests for a batting average of 35 at 35 years of age.

If he has an average that has improved in the last few years with more consistent performances,  one could  understand why he continues to be selected .

In the recent Shield game, his opposition, Tasmania, were saying he was a quality player who was a tough opponent. In this particular  game he delivered and was decisive in the outcome. I still think he has a FC average of only 39 though.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 2 Nov 2018 9:33 AM
baggygreenmania - 30 Oct 2018 8:09 PM

Marsh has played 34 Tests for a batting average of 35 at 35 years of age.

If he has an average that has improved in the last few years with more consistent performances,  one could  understand why he continues to be selected .

In the recent Shield game, his opposition, Tasmania, were saying he was a quality player who was a tough opponent. In this particular  game he delivered and was decisive in the outcome. I still think he has a FC average of only 39 though.

If Khawaja is out of the First Test then we are going to need an old head in the top six. They will not pick either Ferguson, Bailey or White.. all of whom I would prefer over Marsh as team mentors.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles have you had a chance to cast any eye over any emerging talent in the Oz red ball domestic scene? If so who do you see as our most promising batsmen and bowlers? 
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 2 Nov 2018 4:39 PM
Paddles have you had a chance to cast any eye over any emerging talent in the Oz red ball domestic scene? If so who do you see as our most promising batsmen and bowlers? 

Haha. I am interested in Pope and Lehmann Jnr. 

Bertus is being talked of from grade cricket levels. That Polish kid has temporarily retired.

But to be totally honest - lately I have been following the fortunes of Bailey, White, Ferguson: the wrinklies - to see who Australia could use for a year to fill in some Smith and Warner holes. :-) So more or less - I'm totally on the same page as you :-)
Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 2 Nov 2018 5:05 PM

Bertus is being talked of from grade cricket levels. That Polish kid has temporarily retired.

But to be totally honest - lately I have been following the fortunes of Bailey, White, Ferguson: the wrinklies - to see who Australia could use for a year to fill in some Smith and Warner holes. :-) So more or less - I'm totally on the same page as you :-)

Yes Bertus. Henry Hunt is another name. A double century maker in the last 2ndXI match. A young bloke who excites me is Josh Philippe.. My French friend says it is pronounced Phil-eep yet the comms insist on Phill-ippy. I have footage of him taking a Shield attack apart last season. I have rarely seen anyone drive a swinging ball as sweetly as he does... A bolter for England? That Polish kid.. figuring Pucovski.. a shame about him. You can not mess with the head.
Lehmann Jr or Jake Weatherald.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 2 Nov 2018 9:24 AM

Warne doesn't like him, but he has had qualified success in Asia on turning wickets.

DC. Can you tell me why the Shield is played more often in working hours rather than the weekend?  Is CA afraid some people may just support it. Andrew Symonds said CA is trying to undermine the integrity of the Shield. Reckon he has it spot on. The entire CA board should be axed and rebuilt with people that want to advance our game not bring it to its knees.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 3 Nov 2018 8:29 AM
Decentric - 2 Nov 2018 9:24 AM

DC. Can you tell me why the Shield is played more often in working hours rather than the weekend?  Is CA afraid some people may just support it. Andrew Symonds said CA is trying to undermine the integrity of the Shield. Reckon he has it spot on. The entire CA board should be axed and rebuilt with people that want to advance our game not bring it to its knees.

Agree with Symonds.

I don't know. Reading about Peever, he was formerly CEO  for Rio Tinto. He  is an arrogant man, who frequently abused people. Most TCA  members despise the upper echelons of CA.

It is interesting  though that the TCA head honchos regurgitate Sutherland/Peever garbage to us, but may have also been unhappy having to toe the line.

Many think all the upper echelons of CA worry about is making money.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 2 Nov 2018 5:05 PM

I've seen George Bailey bat a lot  in the Shield.

He isn't good enough or consistent enough for Test cricket. At his very best and at top form for a few months at a time he may be, but in his troughs in form which can last a while, he just isn't good enough.

Having said this, George may be the most popular player to have ever played for Tasmania. Universally, thought of as a great bloke. I'd surmise almost all who have played under his leadership think he is the best captain they've played with - with the notable exception of his great mate, Brett Geeves.

George is a punishing player square of the wicket at his best. He also scores very quickly and is a terrific fielder.

Moreover,  Tasmania struggled without the leadership of Bailey ( national limited overs duties) and Paine during his non-selection a few seasons ago - one of the worst decisions in the history of Shield cricket.

Arguably the best gloveman in the country was not selected for his state! There was a leadership void  in the Tasmanian team without him too as Bailey was playing international LO cricket..

Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I've hardly see  him bowl, but Tasmanian paceman Gabe Bell is young, and has had a lot of early success.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric - 3 Nov 2018 12:09 PM
I've hardly see  him bowl, but Tasmanian paceman Gabe Bell is young, and has had a lot of early success.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8043/game/1150109/queensland-vs-tasmania-2nd-match-sheffield-shield-2018-19

What on earth happened to the pitch in this game?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search