R23: Roar vs Sydney FC

R23: Roar vs Sydney FC

Author
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Had to post this early because Roar are back with their maroon kit. Ive never seen an odder one sided rivalry. 

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/brisbane-unveil-maroon-kit-ahead-sydney-fc-clash

ARNIE= LEGEND

jacksone10
jacksone10
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)Hardcore Fan (207 reputation)

It's their way in attempting to attract the 'State of Origin' type theme. 

Does it work? IMO- no.
Mello-D
Mello-D
Amateur
Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)Amateur (734 reputation)

The way the club has been promoting it is that Maroon is the colour of Queensland, and the club represents all of Queensland so will wear that colour. For mine, who cares if they are trying to drum up some more interest for a game? 
BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

3-1 Sydney. 7k
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

2-1 Roar. 9k.

SFC are simply gits. pure and simple gits.

They keep playing this one down and a game that used to have solid hype behind it and 20-30k crowds is now just another game. Well done dickheads, lets try marketing the games instead hey??

And yes State v State is a bit cheesy I admit - but it markets itself to Queenslanders and that maroon kit is extremely popular, I doubt there’s a 3rd kit (and even 2nd kit) that outsells it.

And on marketing - C10 News ran a State v State news article on MONDAY evening, that’s why Roar do it , it gets media traction ..... the amount of people that complain there’s NO marketing of the games then complain when there IS some marketing of the games is unreal 😂
Edited
5 Years Ago by Waz
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Mello-D - 26 Mar 2019 2:52 PM
The way the club has been promoting it is that Maroon is the colour of Queensland, and the club represents all of Queensland so will wear that colour. For mine, who cares if they are trying to drum up some more interest for a game? 

yer agree, for now the only Qld club atm heck why not to create a buzz and hopefully get more bums on seats.
Its work for SOO veryvery well leverage it.
Yes I know others say we shouldn't follow nrl/afl runnings and I agree but this is promotion wise why not.
IMO being a NSWelshman I would love our players get that feeling as well that lifts your performance.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Waz ? where is this gits coming from ?

Love Football

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@LFC

Just a rant, don’t take any notice ...

When Roar came up with the idea (I think it was Kingsman’s idea, R.I.P) it was designed to try and reinvigorate the fixture but Arnie came out and rubbished the concept repeatedly, as did club and (many) supporters.

2 years later the game generally is in the sewer and we wonder why?
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I think QLD/Bris and NSW/Syd is a natural rivalry and the Sydney FC fans dismissal of the rivalry is their way of acknowledging the rivalry...if that makes sense. And I think the kits look mint.

It's just a shame the game is likely to be dogs balls.

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
5 Years Ago by Eldar
jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend

Group: Banned Members
Eldar - 26 Mar 2019 4:33 PM
I think QLD/Bris and NSW/Syd is a natural rivalry and the Sydney FC fans dismissal of the rivalry is their way of acknowledging the rivalry...if that makes sense.

Is it a natural rivalry though? I've never heard someone who isn't a rugby fan talk about it, and even then its State v State not Brisbane vs Sydney. 

It's not as if it's something Brisbane incorporate against WSW, NJ or CCM either. 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

jlm8695 - 26 Mar 2019 4:35 PM

Is it a natural rivalry though? I've never heard someone who isn't a rugby fan talk about it, and even then its State v State not Brisbane vs Sydney. 

It's not as if it's something Brisbane incorporate against WSW, NJ or CCM either. 

Culturally, Yes. Similar to Vic/SA. 

It doesn't really work with WSW because traditionally it has been a working class v wealthy rivalry....whether that is actually true or not.

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
5 Years Ago by Eldar
sirhcdobo
sirhcdobo
Amateur
Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)Amateur (699 reputation)

I think QLD/Bris and NSW/Syd is a natural rivalry and the Sydney FC fans dismissal of the rivalry is their way of acknowledging the rivalry...if that makes sense. And I think the kits look mint.

I agree on the first part. even if it is a one way rivalry, Brisbaneites/Qlders always love beating a sydney/NSW team even if the southern teams dont feel the same. 

the second part is very rarely true. SFC Vs Roar is usually a great game, usually has the feel of two heavyweights throwing everything at eachother. 
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Yeah maybe, lets hope so. I think one day it will live up to a real rivalry though.

Beaten by Eldar

LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Waz - 26 Mar 2019 4:30 PM
@LFCJust a rant, don’t take any notice ...When Roar came up with the idea (I think it was Kingsman’s idea, R.I.P) it was designed to try and reinvigorate the fixture but Arnie came out and rubbished the concept repeatedly, as did club and (many) supporters. 2 years later the game generally is in the sewer and we wonder why?

yer ok now understand your rant lol.......
I recall now, Arnie's reverse psychology - I get it for he was afraid of the nrl SOO grip you guys had and didn't wish it to build up in our football against us, he played it down. Right and wrong sure but thats not qlder spirit no not turning up ?
As mentioned you guys love beating any NSW team and tbh we do love giving it back.
JLM the rivalry is there.

Love Football

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
2-2 draw 4k crowd.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Want Roar to win so Perth can clain the premiership quicker...
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

@LFCJust a rant, don’t take any notice ...When Roar came up with the idea (I think it was Kingsman’s idea, R.I.P) it was designed to try and reinvigorate the fixture but Arnie came out and rubbished the concept repeatedly, as did club and (many) supporters. 2 years later the game generally is in the sewer and we wonder why?

If Roar want to go ahead and do it, fine, but dont chastise us for bringing up how unbelievably dumb it is. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Waz
Waz
Legend

@Sydneyfc

If SFC don’t like the idea. Fine.

If they think it’s a dumb idea. Fine.

If they don’t want to play along. Fine.

However it is marketing and it is designed to improve tv ratings and attendance. It is an attempt to reinvigorate a game that used to draw large crowds but now doesn’t, and it is designed to play to a hostile local media that really don’t like the sokha

SFC could have just kept their mouths shut if they didn’t want to play along. Instead they chose to undermine it.

SFCs opposition is based on pure arrogance, they basically undermined another clubs attempt at marketing for no good reason ... wouldn’t be so bad if they could pull a decent home crowd, but they can’t lol.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Waz
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 27 Mar 2019 8:02 AM

If Roar want to go ahead and do it, fine, but dont chastise us for bringing up how unbelievably dumb it is. 

Yeah the NSW rugby league thought it was dumb for a long time too....until they realised QLD Rugby league was make a motsa out of it .
Your dismissive action is exactly what it is all about.
The other thing is back in the 60's to 80's period many good Queensland football players were taken to Sydney as (quite correctly) that was where the better teams and money was .This created an "us V them" feeling similar to Rugby League.
Millenials don't really get the S.O.O feelings of hatred as they have grown up seeing Qld dominate so don't have that old pre S.O.O original hatred of NSW for stealing all our best players then using them against us in the interstate series.
Ha ! our kids are probably more mature than us and don't have the jealousy we had of our southern neighbours ....but it sure was fun when we started beating you guys.

Edited
5 Years Ago by miron mercedes
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

spot on miron.
Players are selected to represent the Australian state in which they played their first senior rugby league game, hence the name 'state of origin'. Prior to 1980 players were only selected for interstate matches on the basis of where they were playing their club football at the time. In both 1980 and 1981 there were two interstate matches under the old selection rules and one experimental "State of Origin" match.

As you quoted QLD players had to come to Sydney those days for the main comp was here, Broncos/Cowboys/Titans never existed then.
Those early SOO days were epic to watch compared to the soft rules of today lol........
So glad the reign ended, my kids hardly saw a SOO Series win haha much like LFC winning the EPL to date.
Unlike sfc1987 I'm all for it - rivalries make for entertainment/edge of the seat viewing/high heart rates, no diff for my LFC vs united games or WSW games.

Coming game, Roar 2 - SFC 3.

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
aok
aok
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

I think the Jerseys look great, and Miron nailed it with his post.
Edited
5 Years Ago by aok
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

The first Maroon jersey game we had 4 Rugby League fans behind us. They would never have come to a game without the Maroon State V State thing. Their antics were as entertaining as the game, and if the club can do it again, all well and good.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Well I for one hope we wear an away jersey just for the lols.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Maroon is an ugly colour. Give me orange any day.

In a resort somewhere

Waz
Waz
Legend

Unavailable for Roar:

22. Tobias MIKKELSEN (groin), 2. Dane INGHAM (foot), 3. Luke DEVERE (knee), 4. Daniel BOWLES (knee), 10. Brett HOLMAN, 13. Stefan MAUK (groin), 19. Jack HINGERT (knee), 24. Connor O’Toole (broken leg)

Add Avraam and DeVere to that list and 10 first teamers are out. Common sense says it’s a Sydney walkover.
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

It's a dead rubber!

If Roar think that changing their kit will change that fact, they are sadly mistaken.

Edited
5 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

well at least this match has people talking... 
Waz
Waz
Legend

They must have tried some kinda marketing thingy 🤪
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

mouflonrouge - 28 Mar 2019 2:12 PM
It's a dead rubber!

If Roar think that changing their kit will change that fact, they are sadly mistaken.

How? Sydney are very much playing for second spot.

Beaten by Eldar

mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro

Eldar - 28 Mar 2019 2:49 PM
mouflonrouge - 28 Mar 2019 2:12 PM

How? Sydney are very much playing for second spot.

Sydney has something to play for, but Brisbane doesn't.

They are trying to spark interest in the Brisbane market because of lack of interest.

Now if Brisbane was under a relegation cloud, then that is different. Too often shit teams know they can be as shit as they like without punitive ramifications.

Edited
5 Years Ago by mouflonrouge
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search