Movies Thread 2.0

Movies Thread 2.0

Author
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
sydneyfc1987 - 13 Jan 2018 2:50 PM
I just can't believe the way everyone is feigning surprise at the level of sexual abuse and misconduct in the film industry. I thought it was blatantly obvious that Hollywood was full of dirty men keen to exploit their position of power and manipulate young, naive women. All these actors and producers coming out now and patting themselves on the back makes me sick. This is the same industry that gave Roman fucking Polanski a lifetime achievement award in 2003, a man who pled guilty to multiple counts of sex with a minor. All the actresses you now see in black got up and gave him and standing ovation back then. 

All this bluster is an act, a johnny-come-lately act at that. And they have the gall the suggest the film industry is leading the way for society in this context. Its disgusting. 

The only word I'll argue with in there is "naive".  Most of the women in Hollywood know exactly what's going on, and exactly what is expected of them if they intend to make it big.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Zac Snyder's Steppenwolf design v Whedon's Steppenwolf abomination. Even Ciaran Hinds said after watching JL that it wasn't the movie he was involved in. They even cut out Ares and Zeus fighting him in the flashback sequence ffs

Here are some side-by-side comparisons between Snyder/Whedon:

Notice the difference between a talented film director/cinematographer and a TV director hack who specializes in vacuous popcorn characters and plots?

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Black Panther getting rave reviews.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

marconi101 - 14 Feb 2018 12:27 PM
Zac Snyder's Steppenwolf design v Whedon's Steppenwolf abomination. Even Ciaran Hinds said after watching JL that it wasn't the movie he was involved in. They even cut out Ares and Zeus fighting him in the flashback sequence ffs

Here are some side-by-side comparisons between Snyder/Whedon:

Notice the difference between a talented film director/cinematographer and a TV director hack who specializes in vacuous popcorn characters and plots?

Hang on...  I'll buy that Whedon is a vacuous popcorn hack...  But Zac Snyder as the 'talented film director/cinematrographer'?  Snyder has always been a style over substance, never-mind-the-plot look-at-the-flashy-flashy-pictures storyteller.  His Justice League would have been just as much of a mess as his Batman vs Superman (which was a mess, even the special edition) - just as his Watchmen wasn't a touch on the comic book, just as his Sucker Punch was a missfire, just as his Man of Steel was an inconsistent miss-fire of a Superman launch.

DC as a whole has miss-fired in trying to take all Superheroes down the dark and gritty Chris Nolan Batman path.  It worked for Batman, it doesn't work for Superman, etc.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

I simply don't understand how people aren't bored to death of comic book movies already. Just trash, vacuous, repetitive, mind-numbing garbage.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

433 - 17 Feb 2018 1:34 AM
I simply don't understand how people aren't bored to death of comic book movies already. Just trash, vacuous, repetitive, mind-numbing garbage.

A comic book movie is like any other movie - if it's well made and it entertains, you'll never get bored of it.  If it's shoddy or confusing, you'll get bored.  Marvel appear to have found a way to keep things fresh and entertaining, thus far DC are leaning toward tiresome.  We've had it with war films, westerns, buddy cop movies, etc.  You can make any number of them just so long as you make them well.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Benjamin - 16 Feb 2018 10:09 AM
marconi101 - 14 Feb 2018 12:27 PM

Hang on...  I'll buy that Whedon is a vacuous popcorn hack...  But Zac Snyder as the 'talented film director/cinematrographer'?  Snyder has always been a style over substance, never-mind-the-plot look-at-the-flashy-flashy-pictures storyteller.  His Justice League would have been just as much of a mess as his Batman vs Superman (which was a mess, even the special edition) - just as his Watchmen wasn't a touch on the comic book, just as his Sucker Punch was a missfire, just as his Man of Steel was an inconsistent miss-fire of a Superman launch.

DC as a whole has miss-fired in trying to take all Superheroes down the dark and gritty Chris Nolan Batman path.  It worked for Batman, it doesn't work for Superman, etc.

Garbage, get off your hind legs. Watchmen is nigh impossible to accurately display on the screen given the complexity and context of the graphic novel - Snyder's attempt resulted in a solid stand-alone film (as far as I'm concerned he nailed the Rorschach and Manhattan characters) that was visually beautiful with a gorgeous sound production. I will defend BvS until the sky is green - it was a masterpiece well beyond the intellectual capacities of normies, especially northern English ones (I mean who actually willingly supports Sunderland?). His Dawn of the Dead remake restarted the zombie craze and was a legitimately scary film. Man of Steel was a quality film that bravely attempted (and succeeded) in breathing new life into a boring Superman cliche'd character - by framing his weakness in his humanity, thus attempting to negate his infinite power (Zod was also exceptionally well done). Sucker Punch sucked - I'll grant you that. 

I'd much rather DC take risks with their characters and have some balls rather than writing vanilla franchise characters which the actors are clearly not invested in 

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

marconi101 - 17 Feb 2018 10:47 AM

Garbage, get off your hind legs. Watchmen is nigh impossible to accurately display on the screen given the complexity and context of the graphic novel - Snyder's attempt resulted in a solid stand-alone film (as far as I'm concerned he nailed the Rorschach and Manhattan characters) that was visually beautiful with a gorgeous sound production. I will defend BvS until the sky is green - it was a masterpiece well beyond the intellectual capacities of normies, especially northern English ones (I mean who actually willingly supports Sunderland?). His Dawn of the Dead remake restarted the zombie craze and was a legitimately scary film. Man of Steel was a quality film that bravely attempted (and succeeded) in breathing new life into a boring Superman cliche'd character - by framing his weakness in his humanity, thus attempting to negate his infinite power (Zod was also exceptionally well done). Sucker Punch sucked - I'll grant you that. 

I'd much rather DC take risks with their characters and have some balls rather than writing vanilla franchise characters which the actors are clearly not invested in 

When did I ever suggest that my support of Sunderland was willing?  If I had a choice I would have gone elsewhere years ago - that's what I don't get about "a lot" of football fans in the world.  That suggestion that they could walk away from their club, or support another instead.

As for the suggestion that any of these films, or their 'brilliance' was in any way over my head, I wave my genitals in your direction...  Any critic, or fan, who tries to defend their chosen artist/art by saying that it is simply too good for some people to understand is in danger of drowning in their own piss.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

marconi101 - 17 Feb 2018 10:47 AM

lol

-PB

World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Benjamin - 17 Feb 2018 9:45 AM
433 - 17 Feb 2018 1:34 AM

A comic book movie is like any other movie - if it's well made and it entertains, you'll never get bored of it.  If it's shoddy or confusing, you'll get bored.  Marvel appear to have found a way to keep things fresh and entertaining, thus far DC are leaning toward tiresome.  We've had it with war films, westerns, buddy cop movies, etc.  You can make any number of them just so long as you make them well.

The difference with Marvel movies is that they're just so boring.

As productions, they're terrible - shit cinematography, boring camera-work, awful lighting and CGI. Honestly they look like they belong on TV and not on a big movie screen. The dialogue is cringey, just Joss Whedon filled quip-fests and one-liners. There are no grand overarching themes or ideas presented - every single Marvel movie can be surmised as "woah man we were fighting but now we got to overcome our differences and work together as a team to beat the bad guy". Wow, real deep. The fight scenes are boring too, only so many times you can creatively think of a way to punch someone into a wall.

There is no redeeming quality to any comic book movie imo, but people keep seeing them so I guess they're going to be churned out. 

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

433 - 18 Feb 2018 2:19 PM
Benjamin - 17 Feb 2018 9:45 AM

The difference with Marvel movies is that they're just so boring.

As productions, they're terrible - shit cinematography, boring camera-work, awful lighting and CGI. Honestly they look like they belong on TV and not on a big movie screen. The dialogue is cringey, just Joss Whedon filled quip-fests and one-liners. There are no grand overarching themes or ideas presented - every single Marvel movie can be surmised as "woah man we were fighting but now we got to overcome our differences and work together as a team to beat the bad guy". Wow, real deep. The fight scenes are boring too, only so many times you can creatively think of a way to punch someone into a wall.

There is no redeeming quality to any comic book movie imo, but people keep seeing them so I guess they're going to be churned out. 

Probably because on a film by film basis, for 2 hours, they are an easy (undemanding) escape from reality.  Bright and colourful in a fairly depressing age.

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Benjamin - 19 Feb 2018 9:28 AM
433 - 18 Feb 2018 2:19 PM

Probably because on a film by film basis, for 2 hours, they are an easy (undemanding) escape from reality.  Bright and colourful in a fairly depressing age.

I'll add that it's because comics are popular with large fanbases. People like the stories and characters, and they've filled the roles with A-list actors. Will always be popular.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

BP has smashed Justice League for takings already.

-PB

Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Watched Justice League yesterday, thought it was pretty meh glad i didnt pay for it at the cinema. Shame so many movies suck these days.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Dan_The_Red - 19 Feb 2018 9:46 PM
Watched Justice League yesterday, thought it was pretty meh glad i didnt pay for it at the cinema. Shame so many movies suck these days.

About 3-4 minutes in, once Batman had had his mid-air scrap with the alien I was thinking, "ooooh we're in trouble here".  Then as they introduced each subsequent character with on-the-nose dialogue and the subtlety of a kick in the teeth I slowly lost the will to live.  Had I been anywhere but the cinema I would have turned it off and found something else to watch.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

marconi101
marconi101
Legend

Leaked tidbits of the Snyder cut, would've been yet another masterpiece 

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Looking forward to Ready Player One.  The book is great.  

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

marconi101 - 19 Mar 2018 9:07 PM

Leaked tidbits of the Snyder cut, would've been yet another masterpiece 

Still baffled by the 'yet another masterpiece' in connection with a director who makes films that look good but do virtually nothing.
aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Waiting for Marconi to reply..

marconi101
marconi101
Legend

aufc_ole - 29 Mar 2018 10:45 PM

In due season . . . 

Meanwhile:

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

aufc_ole - 29 Mar 2018 10:45 PM

Snyder is a director of great sequences, who struggles to put together a feature length film with a tight narrative.  His defenders all have to point to special editions or use screen grabs to show how beautifully he frames a shot.  The same arguments used to defend Snyder could be used to defend Rian Johnson for Last Jedi - looks great, amazing design, pity about the story but if he'd had another 30 minutes oh-it-would-have-been-amaaaaaaaazing.  

;)
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

You've crossed the line, pommy. If I weren't so balls deep in a Gibbon thesis I'd deconstruct your dribble and leave you a quivering mess who'd seek out mosquito bites just to experience reality 

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

marconi101 - 7 Apr 2018 11:47 AM
You've crossed the line, pommy. If I weren't so balls deep in a Gibbon thesis I'd deconstruct your dribble and leave you a quivering mess who'd seek out mosquito bites just to experience reality 

Bring it.

Style over content every time.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Anyone watch Annihilation? I thought it was really good.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 7 Apr 2018 11:10 PM
Anyone watch Annihilation? I thought it was really good.

Last 10 minutes was as trippy as anything since 2001...  Not a bad bit of sci-fi, yeah.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Saw Ready Player One last week, thought it was pretty good. Certainly helps buying into zero hype for any movie.
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

As you might have guessed I'm not a Marvel lap-dog but good heavens if the spoilers I'm reading for Infinity War are legit then Marvel have hit a home run. 

[spoiler]How do you do spoilers on this forum?[/spoiler]

Edited
6 Years Ago by marconi101
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

Don't think you can lol.

I've got money on Tony Stark dying.

Tomorrow will easily be the highest grossing movie of all time.

-PB

marconi101
marconi101
Legend

I demand a good explanation as to why Black Widow's eyebrows are blonde as well, I can't be the only one who thinks its off-putting 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search