Movies Thread 2.0

Movies Thread 2.0

Author
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
marconi101 - 20 Dec 2017 11:35 AM
Benjamin - 20 Dec 2017 10:02 AM

A lot of nit-picking that none of the Star Wars films could stand up to - but numerous important points regarding story/character.  End of the day, Empire Strikes Back is considered to be the best of the series and if you want to there's plenty that can be ripped apart in that one too.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Benjamin
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 19 Dec 2017 11:45 PM
Fucckkkkkk

-PB

Jedi don't hide away?  What happened to Yoda after Revenge of the Sith?  Did he not retreat into exile and become a batshit crazy curmudgeon?  He hid during the height of the Empire and let the galaxy go to shit...  And he wasn't responsible for the chaos...  Luke went away because all he knew was hero worship and he had f*cked up with his own family to give the bad guys a new hope...

It's a flawed movie - pretty much everything that happens away from the Luke/Rey/Kylo/Snoke scenes is a mess - but everything within that group makes sense in terms of story/character.  It might not be popular - but it makes sense. 

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Benjamin - 20 Dec 2017 2:16 PM
paulbagzFC - 19 Dec 2017 11:45 PM

Jedi don't hide away?  What happened to Yoda after Revenge of the Sith?  Did he not retreat into exile and become a batshit crazy curmudgeon?  He hid during the height of the Empire and let the galaxy go to shit...  And he wasn't responsible for the chaos...  Luke went away because all he knew was hero worship and he had f*cked up with his own family to give the bad guys a new hope...

It's a flawed movie - pretty much everything that happens away from the Luke/Rey/Kylo/Snoke scenes is a mess - but everything within that group makes sense in terms of story/character.  It might not be popular - but it makes sense. 

I'm reserving proper judgement until I see TLJ again but I'll make this comment.

I don't think Luke's character arc is a problem at all: In theory it works really well. The main issue for me is I find it difficult to get invested in either the First Order or the the Resistance. As fictional entities they are nothing more than lazy rehashes of the Rebellion and the Empire that seem to ignore the context of the Star Wars universe post ROTJ. As a result, the whole time Rey is trying to convince Luke to join the resistance all I can think is "who cares?". 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I'm amazed some of you guys liked any of the star wars to be honest.

Why did you ever care about the original empire and the rebellion? It's ALL lazy rehashes of a hundred movies before it but set in space.

The thought of watching that video after the first 15 seconds made by some wank stain who has never done anything in his life wiping his snot stained sleeve under his desk, hiding his dry cum stained shorts after jacking off to forum posts picking on things that you could pick up every movie ever on makes me want to find internet HQ and blow it up.

Why would ANY of you care what he thinks? Who watches this stuff and why would you if it means they want to make more of them? The worlds gone fucking mad I tells ya

Edited
7 Years Ago by Davide82
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Davide82 - 20 Dec 2017 4:30 PM
I'm amazed some of you guys liked any of the star wars to be honest.

Why did you ever care about the original empire and the rebellion? It's ALL lazy rehashes of a hundred movies before it but set in space.

The thought of watching that video after the first 15 seconds made by some wank stain who has never done anything in his life wiping his snot stained sleeve under his desk, hiding his dry cum stained shorts after jacking off to forum posts picking on things that you could pick up every movie ever on makes me want to find internet HQ and blow it up.

Why would ANY of you care what he thinks? Who watches this stuff and why would you if it means they want to make more of them? The worlds gone fucking mad I tells ya

Sometimes easier to link a video some gimp made than to actually type out all the issues.

As for why we would care about any of it...  Why do we care about any film or book?  Why do we care about the result of a game of football?
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

sydneyfc1987 - 20 Dec 2017 3:50 PM
Benjamin - 20 Dec 2017 2:16 PM

I'm reserving proper judgement until I see TLJ again but I'll make this comment.

I don't think Luke's character arc is a problem at all: In theory it works really well. The main issue for me is I find it difficult to get invested in either the First Order or the the Resistance. As fictional entities they are nothing more than lazy rehashes of the Rebellion and the Empire that seem to ignore the context of the Star Wars universe post ROTJ. As a result, the whole time Rey is trying to convince Luke to join the resistance all I can think is "who cares?". 

Agree that the First Order/Resistance rehash doesn't move anything along.  So many options to go in different directions in a saga like this - however understand that they wanted to give the masses something familiar with Episode 7, so a re-hash was always on the cards.  Ask a dozen Star Wars fans what they wanted to see and you'd get a dozen different answers...  Never going to please everyone. 

However, once they go down the path of a rehash all I ask is that they are true to the story and the characters - and the problem with this one is that it doesn't stay true.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Benjamin - 20 Dec 2017 4:59 PM

Sometimes easier to link a video some gimp made than to actually type out all the issues.

As for why we would care about any of it...  Why do we care about any film or book?  Why do we care about the result of a game of football?

I'm saying I like the movie and that it was no more or less "believeable/credible" or whatever than any of the other star wars films.

I loved the original 3 growing up, I was a bit bored in the 2nd lot of 3 and in this one i thought they got back to just a good fun adventure film. I mean that's all they ever really were. I think people mytyhologise things to the point where they will never be happy when something new happens.

What I have a problem with is internet snot bags that make videos where they can barely excrete the words out of their fat potato chip encrusted faces. You yourself called the video nitpicky so i'm not sure why you would suddenly defend it unless you misunderstood the crux of my tired rant
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Terrible and out of place jokes, assraped Luke's character, Rey is even more of a Mary Sue, completely pointless Finn, Rose and DJ subplot, still no elaboration on the Knights of Ren, Snoke and Phasma die like utter bitches wasting their characters before we got to know anything about them, Luke pulls a Padme and dies for no reason, Yoda acting like he just snorted a line of coke, Super Leia Galaxy, Holdo's jihad basically negating all previous SW battle scenes (why didn't they just hyperdrive a droid-piloted ship through the Death Star?)

Bring it on pommy, I've got the flu so I'm hunkered down for a stoush 

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

Edited
7 Years Ago by marconi101
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

marconi101 - 20 Dec 2017 8:32 PM

Terrible and out of place jokes, assraped Luke's character, Rey is even more of a Mary Sue, completely pointless Finn, Rose and DJ subplot, still no elaboration on the Knights of Ren, Snoke and Phasma die like utter bitches wasting their characters before we got to know anything about them, Luke pulls a Padme and dies for no reason, Yoda acting like he just snorted a line of coke, Super Leia Galaxy, Holdo's jihad basically negating all previous SW battle scenes (why didn't they just hyperdrive a droid-piloted ship through the Death Star?)

Bring it on pommy, I've got the flu so I'm hunkered down for a stoush 

Didn't have any problem with the jokes, Luke's character made sense in context, as did his death...  Rey IS a Mary Sue.  Finn/Rose/DJ subplot is the worst part of the film, closely followed by Holdo's withholding information from her crew.  Phasma (and Maz) are only there to sell toys.  Snoke mirrors the Emperor almost exactly (a hologram in one film, then a boastful ranter who's killed surprisingly easily by his apprentice in his 2nd film) - and no one complained about the Emperor not being given more detail in Empire...  Wasn't a fan of Yoda's appearance, but it made sense as he was easier to bring back than Alec Guinness.  On Holdo lightspeeding into Snoke's ship - there's several (unsubtle) mentions of the cost of war/ships in the film, I'd assume that the cost of a ship big enough to destroy a Death Star would rule it out as a weapon...  Especially as Star Wars demonstrates that destroying a Death Star doesn't actually do much to stop the Empire.

I'm still in the 6 or 7 out of 10 camp for Last Jedi, leaning toward the 6.  I would have preferred a very different film (and different Force Awakens), but we all want something different.  Your preferred Last Jedi would have probably been very different to mine.  Mine would have kicked arse.  Of course.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

To recruit Gwendoline Christie and then underuse her talents the way the two films have is borderline insane. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

For anyone wanting a more complete understanding of the galaxy at the time of The Last Jedi and some of the characters, I'd suggest reading a few canon books. 

The genesis of the First Order and Resistance are told (at least to some degree) in the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodlines. Phasma is great book about Captain Phasma, but it'll leave you disappointed that they didn't use her more in the films.

There's another new one about Canto Bight which I haven't read yet as well.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

aussieshorter - 21 Dec 2017 6:44 AM
For anyone wanting a more complete understanding of the galaxy at the time of The Last Jedi and some of the characters, I'd suggest reading a few canon books. 

The genesis of the First Order and Resistance are told (at least to some degree) in the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodlines. Phasma is great book about Captain Phasma, but it'll leave you disappointed that they didn't use her more in the films.

You shouldn't have to read books or watch special features/extended cuts to understand a film.  It should stand on its own as a story.
aussieshorter
aussieshorter
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Benjamin - 21 Dec 2017 8:33 AM

You shouldn't have to read books or watch special features/extended cuts to understand a film.  It should stand on its own as a story.

Absolutely agree and I'd never suggest otherwise. 

But for me personally, the Star Wars universe is a combination of all the canon material that includes movies, books, etc. and it enhances my enjoyment of it. That's not to defend the movies - they need to stand on their own. But for those who like to read, you can get a lot extra from the characters and stories on top of the movies.

RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

You just bought up another peeve... 

With all the built up EU canon prior to announcing the new trilogy, someone in Disney thought this story was way better and now we have to re-read everything again.

marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

marconi101 - 21 Dec 2017 2:03 PM

Haven't watch the video, but is it anything like this lol

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-wars/269657/toxic-masculinity-is-the-true-villain-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi

Let's talk about the competent women and the emotionally-challenged men of The Last Jedi.

This article contains MAJOR The Last Jedi spoilers.

When Oscar Isaac's Resistance pilot Poe Dameron took to the screen in The Force Awakens, many saw him as this new generation's version of Han Solo. The comparison, while not perfect, is sound. Like Han, Poe is a dashing young rogue defined by a good-natured hot headedness that has helped him get out of trouble as much as it has led to him to get into it.

Poe's character, while not one of the main protagonists, has even more to do in The Last Jedi. However, while he may be filling the role of the dashing pilot that Han did in the Original Trilogy, director Rian Johnson is using the archetype to say something completely different about heroism, leadership, and—perhaps most importantly—masculinity.

In the Original Trilogy, Han is presented as the ultimate dude. In heteronormative terms, he is the character every man should want to be and every woman should want to be with. In The Last Jedi, Poe is presented as a character who needs to stop with the mansplaining and learn from the more seasoned female leaders in his life. 

That's not to say that Poe isn't likeable. Both the film itself and the characters within the cinematic world admire Poe's character, but, and here's the kicker, not as a leader. At least not yet.

Instead, the film supports General Leia and Admiral Holdo and their measured maturity over Poe's machismo-driven exuberance. "She cared more about protecting the light than seeming like a hero," Leia tells Poe about Holdo's sacrifice, subverting the tired narrative trend of the alpha male hero as the only viable or best leadership choice. "Not every problem can be solved by jumping in an X-Wing and blowing stuff up," Leia tells Poe before demoting him. Skilled X-Wing piloting is a solution to some problems, sure, but for Poe to think his is a skillset that solves allproblems is pure hubris.

Poe is far from the only character getting tangled up in notions of masculinity. The Last Jedi is filled with male characters on both sides of the dark/light divide who cause and endure suffering because of their inability to deal with their emotions in healthy ways.

For Luke, this means running away to a remote island and abandoning his family, religion, and cause because he cannot face his failure. For Kylo Ren, this means trying to take over an entire galaxy (as you do) because he cannot deal with Luke's betrayal or the murder of his father. He cannot face the things he has done. While Luke is having trouble forgiving himself for his perceived part in Ben Solo's turning, a form of ego itself, Kylo Ren is unable to take even the smallest amount of accountability for murdering his classmates, his father, and much of the galaxy.

Kylo Ren is a character who is easy to make fun of (which also happens to be his worst nightmare), but that doesn't take away from his power as a villain. He is scary because he reminds us of the real-world men whose anger and frustration and sadness have curdled into something ugly inside of them, causing them to lash out at those they perceive to have robbed them of what they deserve.

As it often does, the emotional labor necessary for both Luke and Kylo Ren to (at least partially) work through their issues is undertaken by a woman: Rey. In the same way that Leia and Holdo help Poe work through his hero complex, Rey spends much of the movie trying to get Luke and Kylo Ren to to work through their emotional issues so that they can save the galaxy for the good guys.

While she manages to eventually get through to Luke, with an assist from Yoda, Kylo Ren has no interest in learning from his mistakes. It's a life philosophy that is reinforced by his chosen mentor: Snoke. It's no coincidence that, while Leia looks for opportunities to share and pass on power to those around her, Ren's only path to leadership is to kill the authoritarian leader who came before. It is a violent, unsustainable system that does kill the past, taking with it all of the potential wisdom it represents in the ego-driven pursuit of accruing more power.

Ultimately, the showdown between Kylo and Luke is a distraction, as most pissing contests are—an illusion that an able-to-learn-from-his-mistakes Luke is in on and Kylo Ren is not. It only has power if you give it power, and Luke is no longer playing this game. He puts aside his shame and self-loathing to help save the Resistance.

It's what sets him apart from Kylo. He understands that it's not about killing the past; it's about learning to face the emotions it stirs inside of you. I'd even go so far as to say building that emotional intelligence is the difference between the dark and the light. 

"I can't lose another person," Leia tells Holdo, before the latter sacrifices herself. "Sure you can," Holdo tells her friend and general, without doubt. It's not because Leia doesn't feel—quite the opposite, as we see in even the smallest moments, like Leia feeling the loss of all the men and women the Resistance lost in the destruction of the First Order dreadnought—it's because Leia learned how to process her emotions a long time ago, probably around the time her entire planet was destroyed. 

Leia doesn't need to use the Force; she already has a superpower.

From Leia's quashing of Poe's ill-advised mutiny to Rose's quashing of Finn's suicidal run for glory, The Last Jedi is filled with women trying to explain to men that their actions have consequences outside of their own hero's journey, that glory and pride and victory are never the most important thing—at least not for the larger cause. That the decision that is best for the group is the one made by the group and its chosen leaders, not by the alpha male hero who thinks he knows best.

In the Original Trilogy, Han's rogue heroics generally save the day and, when they don't, the consquences mainly fall back on him alone. It's a nice fantasy: that we can exclude ourselves from the accountability of society. It's one that Benincio del Toro's codebreaker thinks he can live in. But, as Rose makes clear to Finn on Canto Bight, it's a willful delusion, one often propped up by the privilege of being able to look away and the socialized capacity to put one's own pride or vanity over the collective good.

It's a game The Last Jedi refuses to play. Here, Poe's rogue heroics—sending Rose and Finn to Canto Bight, for example—not only don't work, they lead to the near-quashing of the entire Resistance force. Hundreds of people die, and it's at least partially because Poe had visions of glory.

However, rather than punishing Poe for his well-intentioned mistakes, Leia and Holdo take the time to explain to Poe why his plan failed. This is a gift of energy and compassion and forgiveness that Leia and Holdo bestow upon Poe, and an effort that stands in stark contrast to Snoke, whose leadership style is about manipulation rather than teaching. To share knowledge is a form of relinquishing power, something Snoke's ego-driven philosophy will never allow him to do.

The Last Jedi is a step in the right direction when it comes to gender diversity not only because it gives us more female characters with more to do, but because it refuses to glorify its male heroes in simplistic ways that create unrealistic, harmful expectations for everyone involved. True gender diversity in media and in real life will come by recognizing that the system of patriarchy we live in benefits no one—not even the Poe Damerons of the world. 

The Last Jedi is a story that recognizes that we won't "win" by fighting the things we hate, but by saving the things we love—and by being able to tell the difference between someone who is unable to accept any degree of accountability for their actions, the Kylo Rens of the world, and someone who has the capacity to recognize his mistakes and learn from them. It is a deeply empathetic story that explores the dangers of toxic masculinity, the competency of women, and the boxes we all must break out of to be free.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Davide82 - 19 Dec 2017 5:13 PM
MrBrisbane - 17 Dec 2017 2:41 PM
I really enjoyed it too.
Dunno what people expect these days.
It's a star wars movie. Its cowboys and indians in space. Goodies vs baddies. 
People just like to complain.

Agreed, I guess its all opinions at the end of the day, I won't be losing any sleep over other people hating on it. :)

Edited
7 Years Ago by MrBrisbane
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

"The Last Jedi is a step in the right direction when it comes to gender diversity not only because it gives us more female characters with more to do, but because it refuses to glorify its male heroes in simplistic ways that create unrealistic, harmful expectations for everyone involved."

This article, using Han Solo as a reference, is so far off the mark its unbelievable. Yes, Han Solo is a typical alpha-male: A cocky, swashbuckling maverick. But the best thing about this character is his interactions with Princess Leia, especially in A New Hope, where he expects to rescue this damsel in destress princess, yet comes across a strong, independent woman who doesn't want a bar of him (initially). A large part of the humour in ep4 comes from Han's bewilderment and inability to get the upper hand over Leia, who is smarter, stronger and more rational that this "cocky flyboy". 

What does Haldo do? Irrationally refuses to explain her actions, leading Poe to think she is going to get everyone killed. Brilliant writing guys, but hey, pat yourselves on the back for challenging gender-normitvity even though George Lucas did it 1000 times better 40 years ago. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

marconi101
marconi101
Legend

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

MrBrisbane - 17 Dec 2017 2:41 PM

I really enjoyed it too.
Dunno what people expect these days.
It's a star wars movie. Its cowboys and indians in space. Goodies vs baddies. 
People just like to complain.

Nah sorry, its Star Wars and its means a great deal to a lot of people. It was a large part of my childhood and I find the universe, characters and lore fascinating.  

If you enjoyed TLJ then great, I'm happy you did. I'm still not certain myself and I'm going to watch the movie again after Christmas to see if there are aspects to the story I have missed, but I'm not hopeful.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

99 Problems
99 Problems
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 22 Dec 2017 3:54 PM

Nah sorry, its Star Wars and its means a great deal to a lot of people. It was a large part of my childhood and I find the universe, characters and lore fascinating.  

If you enjoyed TLJ then great, I'm happy you did. I'm still not certain myself and I'm going to watch the movie again after Christmas to see if there are aspects to the story I have missed, but I'm not hopeful.

I'm a bit with you in needing to see it again to really judge it, but I did initially enjoy it after one screening. You're first point is kind of important I think, because ultimately star wars is a movie made for kids/teenagers, but now we're judging these new movies as adults when we aren't the real target audience.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

99 Problems - 22 Dec 2017 4:22 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 22 Dec 2017 3:54 PM

I'm a bit with you in needing to see it again to really judge it, but I did initially enjoy it after one screening. You're first point is kind of important I think, because ultimately star wars is a movie made for kids/teenagers, but now we're judging these new movies as adults when we aren't the real target audience.

My 14 year old son walked out of the cinema and before we even got back to the car announced that "that was poor.  1/10"

I think he was being harsh.

My 16 year old daughter, on the other hand, loved it.

I suspect that when I see it again, most likely on DVD, I'll be even more frustrated by it - because the poor story-telling and bad characters will be even more obvious when you know where they are going (or to be more accurate, where they aren't going).

Edited
7 Years Ago by Benjamin
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

Some 'fixes' for The Last Jedi...

The attack on the dreadnaught was fun whilst it was happening - but made no sense with hindsight.  Poe goes through the whole exercise of shooting up the surface guns so the bombers can sweep it, but doesn't appear to think that the First Order has fighters that can simply rip through the slow and unprotected bombers (which, incidentally, rely on gravity to 'drop' their bombs IN SPACE).  Could have opened with an epic space battle X-Wings fighting off TIE-Fighters so that Y-Wings can finally actually bomb something having failed in all previous films.

Don't zap Leia into space, save Ackbar too.  Avoid the cringy Mary Poppins space-walk.  Don't bring Holdo in to the story at all.  Have Leia tell everyone the plan at the start - rather than giving the audience the false danger of does-Holdo-have-a-plan, or is-Holdo-good-or-bad, you have the ticking clock of will-they-make-it-to-Crait?  Also means Leia doesn't spend half the film in a coma...  She actually gets to lead.

Rather than having the awful Canto-Bight sequence - have Ackbar 'volunteer' Finn to go on a mission to disable The Supremacy's shields because "he has a plan".  Don't send Rose with him, send C-3PO (have him spray-painted black to fit in on a First Order ship).  This keeps a major character in the mix - and puts him in jeapardy.  Once on the Supremacy, have Phasma and Finn constantly crossing paths - culminating in a face-off as he tries to escape having taking the shields down.

Rather than have their ships blown up in the hanger - keep Poe busy and the excitement up by having the last few X-Wing pilots flying endless sorties against the First Order fleet to buy the Flagship time to get to Crait.  Play it like WWII pilots in the Battle of Britain going out over and over again, exhausted, but fighting on because they have no choice. 

When Rey and Kylo battle for Luke's lightsaber and have the force stand-off...  And Kylo is reaching out...  Chop his fucking hand off.  Skywalker's lose their hand in the middle episode, it would have been a great twist to have the bad guy lose his rather than the good one.

When it's time to fly the flagship into the Supremacy (if they have to go with the hyperspace suicide run) have Ackbar do it - thus paying out a long time fan favourite.

Have the speeders on Crait actually achieve something, even if it's only causing confusion by flying between the walkers.  Perhaps demonstrate how effective the new models are by repeating the tow-rope sequence but with negative results.  Have the speeders in increasing danger until Luke arrives.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Benjamin
sydneycroatia58
sydneycroatia58
Legend
Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)Legend (41K reputation)

It would be interesting to have the original trilogy come out now with the internet the way it is, suspect a lot of the complaints people have about TLJ would be exactly the same for a lot of the OT.
Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

sydneycroatia58 - 23 Dec 2017 9:53 AM
It would be interesting to have the original trilogy come out now with the internet the way it is, suspect a lot of the complaints people have about TLJ would be exactly the same for a lot of the OT.

There's plenty to complain about in the original trilogy - however, structurally they are all pretty strong, and the characters on the whole don't do anything illogical.

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

After all the fuss and negative feelings about Last Jedi...  Nice to be able to say I ended the year by seeing "Jumanji" with my kid - and f*cking loved it.  Not a film that will live forever, but a perfect;y entertaining 2 hours of cinema.  Everyone on form.  Funny.  Decent action.  No huge problems to get upset about.  A good leading man playing against type, two comedy side-kicks, and Karen Gillan being 'tight'.  What more could you want?
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

Just watched  coco with the eldest. I must say i was impressed with the animation  and how it dealt with death and family.  It hit home  for me
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

lol this Wahlberg vs Williams stuff is a bit interesting.

Then there's Franco being done for sexual harassment etc.

That institution is completely fucked.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Benjamin
Benjamin
Legend

paulbagzFC - 12 Jan 2018 10:21 AM
lol this Wahlberg vs Williams stuff is a bit interesting.

Then there's Franco being done for sexual harassment etc.

That institution is completely fucked.

-PB

Wahlberg vs Williams - I don't understand the fuss.  It's supply and demand.  He's in demand so can charge a higher fee.  She's not, so can't.

Franco being done for sexual harassment surely doesn't shock anyone.  

As for the institution - when the first stories started to break I said that Hollywood would cave in on itself if they start to go after any actor/director/producer who's used his position to get a blowjob.  It's the reason half of them are in the bloody business.  The best looking women from around the world, a long way from home, competing for a few high paying jobs - it's an invitation for abuse.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

I just can't believe the way everyone is feigning surprise at the level of sexual abuse and misconduct in the film industry. I thought it was blatantly obvious that Hollywood was full of dirty men keen to exploit their position of power and manipulate young, naive women. All these actors and producers coming out now and patting themselves on the back makes me sick. This is the same industry that gave Roman fucking Polanski a lifetime achievement award in 2003, a man who pled guilty to multiple counts of sex with a minor. All the actresses you now see in black got up and gave him and standing ovation back then. 

All this bluster is an act, a johnny-come-lately act at that. And they have the gall the suggest the film industry is leading the way for society in this context. Its disgusting. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Edited
6 Years Ago by sydneyfc1987
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search