Australian Baseball League

Australian Baseball League

Author
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This is why I'm hardly online any more. =p~

Quote:
Official ABL Media Launch - NEWLY FORMED ABL MAKES THEIR PITCH TO SPORTS FANS
Jennifer Stockman, Thursday, 28 October 2010
http://theabl.com.au/?page=66026&format

The new Australian Baseball League, a landmark initiative of Major League Baseball (MLB), the Australian Baseball Federation (ABF) and the Australian Sports Commission was officially launched today ahead of the Season Opener on November 6.
The six new ABL teams Adelaide Bite, Brisbane Bandits, Canberra Cavalry, Melbourne Aces, Perth Heat, and Sydney Blue Sox, introduced their 35-man playing roster and unveiled their uniforms for the first time.

The Australian Baseball League will feature Australia’s best homegrown talent, including professionals plying their trade in the major and minor leagues of North America and Asia, and a number of high profile imports.

Australian players have long been competing at the highest professional and amateur levels around the world but a lack of domestic competition prevented them from being able to showcase their skills in front of a home crowd.

The ABL season, in which each team will play 40 games, will run throughout the southern summer, from November to January. The season complements the northern hemisphere baseball season, which begins in March.

The establishment of the ABL is the latest success in the long-term partnership between MLB and the ABF. The Major League Baseball Australian Academy Program began in 2001 to provide world-class coaching, training and development opportunities for elite young players and has led to a 40% increase in the number of Australians playing professional and college baseball.

ABL Chairman Mark Peters said the ABL is exciting because this current generation of Australian baseball stars will get the opportunity to showcase their talent at home.

“Many of our current players who are playing in the Major leagues were too young to play in front of a home crowd in the former ABL, now it’s their turn to excite the next generation of players, and recruit fans to the game,” he said.

“As well as showcasing our own Australian talent, the ABL will feature top international stars who will be utilising the ABL as a catalyst to further their careers into some of the most notable professional Leagues around the world.”

Australian Baseball Federation Director of High Performance, David Hynes foresees the ABL as next important step in the development of our junior elite players, and the growth of the sport in Australia.

“Our National teams have proven that our player talent is on par with some of the best baseball nations in the world; all without the existence of a professional League in Australia. The new League will allow us to develop that talent event further and advance our world 8th ranking.”

Hynes also foresees the League as a fundamental component of increasing the game’s participation numbers.

“The ABF has always enjoyed a solid foundation at grassroots and community level in baseball, but what the ABL represents is an opportunity to drum up some excitement around the sport, and expand the already thriving baseball fraternity in this country.

Diegos Son
Diegos Son
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

I remember Channel 9 then possibly the ABC broadcast the old Aust Baseball League years back. Great to see the Perth Heat back.

Dave Nielsen, is he behind this?

I remember the old Waverley Reds got 11,000 to the old Waverley Park stadium one night for a game and a big deal was made of it. Pretty sure Ian Maurice had money in the Sydney team at the time also.

MartyB are you for real about links to baseball for you?
martyB
martyB
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Yeah, baseball's my sport. I used to hang 'round here to fill in the time. :P

It appears the league was fast-tracked this season to beat Cricket Australia's introduction of the domestic Twenty20 competition starting up next summer. Although, promotion of this league has been pretty limp.
Joffa
Joffa
Legend
Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)Legend (86K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The summer sporting calendar is getting very full
mus-28
mus-28
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

Adelaide Bite.....North Qld Fury must be shattered their place atop the "shittiest team names" has been taken
Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Saw this on fox sports news. The uniforms look sick and I wish it well.

What college were you at Marty. NCAA div-1 school? Which of these teams wants you ;)
martyB
martyB
Legend

Quote:
Dave Nielsen, is he behind this?
Nope. Funded mainly by MLB. So the competition is serious about establishing the sport in the country. Nilsson is the Brisbane manager, though.
NinjaFC
NinjaFC
Hacker
Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)Hacker (484 reputation)

Will it be televised?
martyB
martyB
Legend

Doesn't look like it will be this season. The ABL is currently in talks with broadcasters about next season though, OneHD and Fox Sports are rumoured. Supposedly MLB was going to sell the games online on mlb.tv but I don't know if this is happening.

But admission to games is cheap, $12 for an adult for Cat A for most clubs I think. And it's not a 'one game per week' set up; like in MLB, games are played in series. Series will run Thursday/Friday to Sunday.
Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Ignoring me cause clearly youre i discussion with sydney blue sox. I understand.
Benjo
Benjo
Legend

Might go check out the Heat, their ground is 5 minutes away from my house. Don't get many teams in perth who play south of the river.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Are you involved at all Marty? My missus and I bought Blue Sox season tickets, BOP isn't far from our place.
Really looking forward to it. 2B Scott Campbell is a prospect with my team, the Blue Jays, so I'm keen on seeing him play.
I hope the league can establish itself as a viable Winter League option for fringe MLB players as well as returning Aussies.

Quote:
Pretty sure Ian Maurice had money in the Sydney team at the time also.

I remember being there when the Sydney Blues got 13000 to Parramatta Stadium. That league really flew quite high for a while, I hope now with MLB's money it can again.

Edited by f1worldchamp: 29/10/2010 09:32:45 AM
pimpsta
pimpsta
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

go the blue sox, ill be going to a few games to cheer the lads on
southern3
southern3
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Not bad, I'll probably get pulled along because I have a couple of friends who are into baseball/softball. Where's the ground Benjo?
avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Play a promo game in Wagga and I'll watch.
martyB
martyB
Legend

No, I'm not involved. I may have been had this happened 4-5 years ago. :(
martyB
martyB
Legend

avy1990 wrote:
A snail Grand Prix could be held in Wagga and you'd attend. lol
avy1990
avy1990
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

martyB wrote:
avy1990 wrote:
A snail Grand Prix could be held in Wagga and you'd attend. lol

This is true.
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

Do we know who is going to play for each side?

davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I applied to be a volunteer for the Aces a while back.

I wouldn't mind writing some match reports on their games for their website.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

buddha69 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Australian_Baseball_League_team_rosters
This was all I could find for having all the teams in the same place, but it looks like a few teams are yet to fill their rosters!
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

[youtube]14WPo0QWkIU[/youtube]

Sorry, and taking of baseball made me remember this too. :lol:
buddha69
buddha69
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

f1worldchamp wrote:
buddha69 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Australian_Baseball_League_team_rosters
This was all I could find for having all the teams in the same place, but it looks like a few teams are yet to fill their rosters!

I did find this after I posted.

Definitely will get to a couple of the Blue Sox games if I can.

davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
You know you're coming as well DT it's right near your area pretty much :P

Of course i'm going. I think it would be awesome to be a part of this club.
Especially if I was given the opportunity to work behind the scenes as well.
f1worldchamp
f1worldchamp
Pro

Sydney have actually sold all of their allocated memberships and have a waiting list for next year!
I've heard the opening game next Saturday vs Canberra (also the opening game for the whole league) was close to a sell out.
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
davidtorres wrote:
11.mvfc.11 wrote:
You know you're coming as well DT it's right near your area pretty much :P

Of course i'm going. I think it would be awesome to be a part of this club.
Especially if I was given the opportunity to work behind the scenes as well.

This guy so career orientated :P

"Ambition is my ammunition to shoot me straight to the top."

:p

Bonkers
Bonkers
Pro

Wheres the Melbourne team located? That nice place halfway to geelong?
davidsomethingelse
davidsomethingelse
Legend

11.mvfc.11 wrote:
Haha well I just applied for an internship, I suggest you do too :P

martyB
martyB
Legend

f1worldchamp wrote:
buddha69 wrote:

http://www.theabl.com.au/default.asp?MenuID=Team_Roster/23881/0

f1worldchamp wrote:
Sydney have actually sold all of their allocated memberships and have a waiting list for next year!
I've heard the opening game next Saturday vs Canberra (also the opening game for the whole league) was close to a sell out.
Yeah, there's only like 120 standing tickets left.

Edited by martyB: 29/10/2010 12:30:56 PM
rocknerd
rocknerd
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

I cant take this seriously. I used to follow Baseball back in the day. i was a pretty into it Cleveland Indians fan. But 6 teams that play each other 4 times over 2 weeks. It is a bit repetative for us all, issn't it?

I don't think I have the time to waste following a mediocore league sport. Twenty/20 Cricket is much better thought out and has at least an appeal to a wider audiance.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search