Why do AFL, NRL flagwavers denigrate soccer at every opportunity, Fox Sports commentator Simon Hill...

Why do AFL, NRL flagwavers denigrate soccer at every opportunity, Fox...

Author
universalmind
Under 7s
Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)Under 7s (13 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
chicko1983 wrote:
Judy Free wrote:
Tip.

Channel your energies into making an effort to attend HAL games, as opposed to wasting time/effort demanding respect from others.

Until strayan sockah gets its house in order we will continue to be the whipping boys of strayan sport.

Too many so-called sockah fans pre-occupied with how they are viewed by others.

cant believe I am going to do this to one of your posts but....

+1

Forget about AFL, NRL, etc. and worry about getting yourself and all your mates to A-league and Socceroos Matches. Anyone who attends a football match and experiences the product for themselves can make up their own mind about these journalists.

The biggest thing holding football back in this country are the tens of thousands of so-called football fans who never attend A-league matches, NOT the dozen or so journalists who only write a handful of articles a year on "soccer".

Its the people who like football but don't attend matches that you should be focusing your energy on. That would be far more beneficial to Australian football than anything else.

Hear, hear.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

thupercoach wrote:
It's clear as day that the AFL (and NRL, although to a somewhat lesser degree) - centric media is part of the "anti-soccer" strategy by those codes. It is definitely time football returned fire. In fact, I think it's high time we got onto the front foot. What have we got to lose? Over half the newspaper publications bury football as deep as they can, avoid positive stories, highlight the negatives, and generally go our of the their way to stick the boot into football.

The way I see it, the code that looks to dominate all others is AFL, so step 1 should be football and rugby league forming an unofficial alliance. Surely enough common sense could be found for an alliance like that to start. Keep the AFL out at all cost. Step 2 should be a concerted attack against AFL through the media, phone ins, internet, whatever it takes. It's a very dirty little war going on, and it needs to be won.

I don't understand why people don't see this - football and rugby league can coexist happily, while aussie rules, the Coles/Woolworths of Australian sport, is hellbent on derailing all other sport, which they see as their direct competitors.

What makes you think RL would want anything to do with the ffa, seeing they do quite ok themselves and why does Australian football need RL to assist? I've been hearing since 2004 how the aleague is going to take over (always 'very soon')as the #1 code in Australia and grind all those nasty Australian sports and their followers into oblivion.

So, obviously, as the 'world game' and all powerful 'Microsoft' of Australian sport, the aleague doesn't need any help from a lowly Australian league, does it?

Seriously speaking, if the aleague wants to get into a war with any major sporting code and being the minnow of the bunch, what is it to do with it's sling shots to prevent it's own destruction along the way?

The negative press this week was in regards to flares and a banner supporting an alleged conductor of genocide. Correct?

Wouldn't or shouldn't the first battle plan primarily be to prevent a minority of football attendees from gifting the tabloids the fuel to feed the fire? They are after all, co-conspirators in bringing the game into disrepute.

Edited by skeptic: 11/6/2011 10:47:09 PM
girtXc
girtXc
World Class
World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)

Quite a few old heads in this thread.G'day Thuper;)
girtXc
girtXc
World Class
World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)World Class (8.9K reputation)

chicko1983 wrote:
Judy Free wrote:
Tip.

Channel your energies into making an effort to attend HAL games, as opposed to wasting time/effort demanding respect from others.

Until strayan sockah gets its house in order we will continue to be the whipping boys of strayan sport.

Too many so-called sockah fans pre-occupied with how they are viewed by others.

cant believe I am going to do this to one of your posts but....

+1

Wonders never cease:lol:
Don't you feel dirty now
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Sirocco wrote:
Every time a football writer complains about the coverage, it just brings it more into the spotlight.

Just ignore the anti-football brigade and their voice gets smaller. Its nowhere near as bad as it used to be in this country and will eventually in time fade away.

Here, here.

What's the old saying about Trolls (The old-fashioned trolls under the bridge, trolls) or whatever - 'If you ignore them, they will go away.' Or to put another spin, they will atleast disappear from your existence aka ignorance is bliss.

I am generally oblivious to anything the mainstream media spurts, because quite simply, I rarely partake of the mainstream media generally, especially not for my sports coverage, LET ALONE football coverage (Thank goodness for FFT, TWG and Foxsports!).

In my, I suppose, insular world, these lot just don't exist - I only ever just come across it thanks to some fans who post that rubbish on here.

Also, another thing many of us have discussed in the past - Opinion writers, shock jocks etc... often can function, even thrive, on 'conflict orientated' angles I suppose - It's the old thing, 'fear sells.' You stirr up crap, then people who love you for it, will view the article and post, and just as many, if not more, who hate you for it, will also view and post! They get their paycheck on this stuff, that's their meal ticket, livelihood.

That's what gets 'the hits' folks!

I know there's the thing/concern about - "What about those neutrals or people who don't know better, who actually believe what these people say? What if they're swayed by this?" Well thing is, most who do buy into it, are likely already set in their view (They think that way about 'Soccer,' and 'soccer fans' and even 'ethnics' anyway), while 'some' other people just aren't that big a fools - they can put what they're partaking into context ("I know this shock jock exaggerating a bit, that's his style - 'hyperbolic gestures'), or take it with a pinch of salt. Or maybe some others, you can't help them anyway, if they do. :P

BTW For those who us who actually still follow, bother/are bothered, with some of these 'Rebeccas Wilson-like' lot, this may be you:

http://hungrybeast.abc.net.au/stories/hate-following

I suppose some of us 'hate follow' to strengthen our own reasoning? ;) hehe

"Now I definitely know my code is superior" :p

skeptic wrote:
Jazzmaster wrote:

It was really interesting reading the public responses to the two - extremely inflammatory - topics.

The events (such as they were) at Etihad attracted some of the following remarks: “Get rid of this ridiculous ethnic bigotry” ... “This is Australia, leave your problems where you immigrated (sic) from” ...

Now, let’s consider some of the responses to the AFL racial vilification scandal in the same publication a couple of days earlier: “Aboriginals (ethnics) should have a thicker skin. So you get called names, so what?” ... “Can’t say this to this person, can’t say that to that person, all because you might upset somebody" ... “So, one person making stupid comments makes the sporting code racist does it?” ...

With just a couple of changes, it sounds strikingly familiar to common suggestions and comments on this forum. Football fans are no f****** better. Hell, just last week in a thread.....

Quote:
Too many people are using the racist card nowadays. People need to harden up a bit.

Quote:
yeah i reckon......people just dont get the aussie humour

Quote:
Its the world of being PC afterall.
In the end, the tag is used too often, and usually is subjectively used to further an agenda.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=54351

Now read the thread prior to the Au/Serb game for another dose of the garbage said by the radio listeners, as mentioned by Hill in the article, but this time by football supporters. http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=54873

Let the enormous hypocrisy continue.

I may not be interpreting the article entirely correctly, but I think you miss the point slightly. I mean, the point is, it cuts across the board - It's a societal thing, not just a sporting code thing. And your, I suppose, putting some of our fellow FFT folks' fervour in check just reflects that and I mean, I don't think Simon Hill is not recognising that either. I think he's highlighting that it's not limited to Soccer and that it happens in the other codes too. So THAT'S the hypocrisy there.

And by virtue, he's also suggesting in a way, it's not like we have journos or shock jocks who suggest what these lot constantly do, about their codes. Though he DOES suggest - 'maybe we should?' though to stoop to that level... plus some of our best football journos like Lynch, Hassett and co earn their dosh from these same media outlets (News Ltd and Fairfax), who may house some of those same anti-football stirrers.

But ofcourse, what's that thing, those in power or whatever... They sitting pretty up there. But that's how Australia's sporting landscape is and likely will forever be - we have to share and will gradually, get on a bit better in this crowded marketplace, where we share stadiums, are broadcast on the same networks, attempt to host World Cups etc... Like Basketball and some other sports, we're still 'seen as' a minor/second tier code in the mainstream media, but as Sirocco suggested, some ground has certainly been gained in that area, last decade or so and slowly we start to see some more respect shown, in most mainstream quarters (Even if they still tend to show more EPL stuff).

Edited by GloryPerth: 12/6/2011 12:08:49 AM
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Judy Free wrote:
girtXc wrote:
For years I've been trying to get you to do something-something more tangible than words on the web.

My contribution goes a long way back.

At amateur, semi pro, NSL and A-L levels.

Throughout this time there's been one constant......would-be fans never walked the walk, and so-called fans changed their minds like the weather. It's not in joe average aussies culture to fall in love with the game called sockah.

I wish you luck in your endeavours to bring about change.

I agree with most of what you say. Personally Wherever and whenever a football is kicked I'll watch, I have absolutely no interest in Aussie-rules or League or Union and I know that any attempts by these sports to be deemed to come close to football in popularity, participation or ease of playing in the street would be like pissing in the wind.

However your assertion that it's not in Australian's psyche to accept the round ball game is flawed. I'm sure that if it received the same positive, blanket media coverage enjoyed by the three codes that want to replace football from its #1 world-wide position it would quickly be accepted and crowds would quickly increase.
skeptic
skeptic
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

GloryPerth wrote:

I may not be interpreting the article entirely correctly, but I think you miss the point slightly. I mean, the point is, it cuts across the board - It's a societal thing, not just a sporting code thing. And your, I suppose, putting some of our fellow FFT folks' fervour in check just reflects that and I mean, I don't think Simon Hill is not recognising that either. I think he's highlighting that it's not limited to Soccer and that it happens in the other codes too. So THAT'S the hypocrisy there.

He highlighted nothing of the sort. He called other codes hypocrites and accused them of actions and attitudes commonly used in football by football supporters, as can be seen in this forum.

Many from other sports and the general public are hypocrites and needed drowning at birth, just as many football supporters don't wear halos in a sport claiming to be more inclusive and multi cultural than any other, when in reality it's bloody rife with bigotry from multiple directions. And no, i haven't missed the point, even slightly.
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Afl are catching up in participation, i hope the ffa arn't dropping the ball on what is one footballs strongest attributes
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Now I caught Craig Foster's article on this too.

I'm JUST realising now guys - I think this 'hate following' thing can apply to Simon and Craig a bit, dare I say? :P Ah well, they're in the media too, so can't help notice it, but why the worry about it I suppose? But I guess, why not stick up for the game, that's the point? But honestly, I think some of these lot, whoever they are, choosing to focus their coverage on those 7 Serbian fans, I don't think that's worth the attention, or the dignity of the response. It's all the 'usual nonsense' which will just blow over anyway - By re-highlighting the coverage, it just extends it's life that tad longer, which is what the initial peddlers of that angle, would certainly not mind? :/

skeptic wrote:
GloryPerth wrote:

He highlighted nothing of the sort. He called other codes hypocrites and accused them of actions and attitudes commonly used in football by football supporters, as can be seen in this forum.

Many from other sports and the general public are hypocrites and needed drowning at birth, just as many football supporters don't wear halos in a sport claiming to be more inclusive and multi cultural than any other, when in reality it's bloody rife with bigotry from multiple directions. And no, i haven't missed the point, even slightly.

Hmm I see he doesn't quite suggest that indeed, though he fairly points out that they are no angels either. Yeah that code's (Aussie Rules) fan culture and diversity it not like this code's, where near EVERYBODY from near every corner of the globe, plays it. Ofcourse this code has it's problems though ofcourse, getting to this incident (Section of Serb supporters), that lies with things outside football, as they often do, and we see the Serbs and Croats acting up at the Tennis and that too. And that just reflects how global a game this is. So comes all the diversity and some of the history with that too. Yeah, just because of the reach of this game, doesn't necessarily make our fans more enlightened, certainly not. But the other codes are not soo enlightened either.

Skeptic wrote:
The negative press this week was in regards to flares and a banner supporting an alleged conductor of genocide. Correct?

Wouldn't or shouldn't the first battle plan primarily be to prevent a minority of football attendees from gifting the tabloids the fuel to feed the fire? They are after all, co-conspirators in bringing the game into disrepute.

I see from an earlier post, this is what you are getting at. Fair point too indeed - I certainly agree. Though to be fair to authorities and even this code, given it's sheer reach as discussed, there are always some elements, all over football, not just here in Australia. And maybe that's the luxury, to put it one way, that the AFL and co don't have that - so less potential for even more trouble in crowds? But given Australia's increasingly diverse society, the seem to be seeing some elements creep in there too, like those SANFL based fans copying the use of flares from this code. But with the A-League fan culture stuff (Much discussed at those Fan Forums), like Melbourne Victory supporters, MV and the police seeking to work out suitable level of policing of games, the A-League is still new and the relevant authorities, within this code and outside it are only just starting to work out how to deal with this at the appropriate level, without infringing on the match experience. Maybe the relevant authorities may learn from this latest incident, how to prevent such banners, for the future Socceroos fixtures? And also, the individuals involved were banned, so they won't be returning a game to put up any more signs any time soon.

But anyway, is it ok that these quarters in the tabloid media and whoever, still exaggerate and direct focus on this (7 Serbian fans), I mean - do you not agree with football people, like Simon Hill, Craig Foster and the fans around here, atleast 'attempting to' defend themselves, against the usual marginalisation in some corners of the mainstream press?
GloryPerth
GloryPerth
Legend

Well this is interesting, it was an offsiders program back in February discussing the front page Herald Sun article stating that 'Soccer fans the worst.' I think much of what they discuss can apply here. This topic and the discussion it provokes is very circular. It's the same stuff over and over and yes, the more we can prevent some incidents, the more archaic such media dinosaurs will look, but still, as you see, so applicable to these latest things too (Hardly surprising, change - in culture - takes a LONG time in this case lol):

http://www.zeroagainst.com/files/tag-francis-leach.php
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Great work by Simon Hill.I've never liked AFL but to be honest i hate the sport with passion since the world cup bid and even more so now.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

The shame about this is that the negativity spouted off by newspapers is absorbed without question by the AFL supporters. Its all too easy to slam football because its not AFL and its been publically struggling to get off the ground. It seems so pathetic, petty and childish. I support the Adelaide Crows (through the mrs. family), the Crusaders and Warriors (being born in NZ) so these disputes really annoy me.

What annoys me most the earning potential that this country lose when the crash and bash codes had a crack at the timing of the world cup. Seeing the supporter groups that travelled to Sotuh Africa (England, Germany, Spain, Netherlands and Argentina I noticed most) were in their thousands. In such economic times, how on earth did we not throw our weight together to boost our economy? Surely the potential income for everyone would have been enough but no, it seems the narrow-minded AFL have ruined it for everyone. South African football has never been stronger (since the WC) and maybe thats what they were afraid of. Football is a global game with massive potential. Although I support the Crows in the AFL I know the limits of their reach and its significantly lower than that of football. It just needs an injection of life but the other codes like to kick it while its down which is an awful shame.
girtXc
girtXc
World Class

benelsmore wrote:
The shame about this is that the negativity spouted off by newspapers is absorbed without question by the AFL supporters. Its all too easy to slam football because its not AFL and its been publically struggling to get off the ground. It seems so pathetic, petty and childish. I support the Adelaide Crows (through the mrs. family), the Crusaders and Warriors (being born in NZ) so these disputes really annoy me.

What annoys me most the earning potential that this country lose when the crash and bash codes had a crack at the timing of the world cup. Seeing the supporter groups that travelled to Sotuh Africa (England, Germany, Spain, Netherlands and Argentina I noticed most) were in their thousands. In such economic times, how on earth did we not throw our weight together to boost our economy? Surely the potential income for everyone would have been enough but no, it seems the narrow-minded AFL have ruined it for everyone. South African football has never been stronger (since the WC) and maybe thats what they were afraid of. Football is a global game with massive potential. Although I support the Crows in the AFL I know the limits of their reach and its significantly lower than that of football. It just needs an injection of life but the other codes like to kick it while its down which is an awful shame.

Interesting to note that the Adelaide home game was only half full yesty.And before the Geelong-Hawthorn match predictions of 80k were going into overdrive-its ended up 63k but didn't look that many
bypopulardemand
bypopulardemand
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

I guess the AFL feel they have the most to lose, Football bashing does seem to be the flavour of the month in the the Melbourne media driven by fear. If the crowd trouble was in Belgrade it would still make the news... Not sure how popular australian rules is in Belgrade?
Figjam_3326
Figjam_3326
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

robstazzz wrote:
Great work by Simon Hill.I've never liked AFL but to be honest i hate the sport with passion since the world cup bid and even more so now.

Unlike you, I liked AFL in the past, but just like you ...

... since the world cup bid, I now hate the sport with a passion and the hate gets stronger with each passing day.

And, 90% of my football mates have exactly the same emotions of former love for AFL turning to unbridled hate.
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

girtXc wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Interesting to note that the Adelaide home game was only half full yesty.And before the Geelong-Hawthorn match predictions of 80k were going into overdrive-its ended up 63k but didn't look that many

The advertising for our National team vs Kiwi's was non-existent here in Adelaide, yet as most football supporters here are like GloryPerth in that they source what's happening via the internet, dedicated football sites and word of mouth, so 21,000+ knew about it even though the mainstream media did their best to make sure no one knew,, ( although I'm sure they'd disagree as they did have 30 second segments in the sports a couple of days prior ).

So as I said in an earlier response; equality of exposure would work wonders, yet the mainstream have blanket coverage and IF an aussie-rules national team were playing here we would have been bombarded with info. about it for weeks!

Edited by redcup: 12/6/2011 05:07:50 PM
girtXc
girtXc
World Class

Yep-multi pronged attack

Day to day
-Shielas,Wogs & Poofters
Announcements
-Press hijack
Pre match
-All quiet on the western front
Post match
-Sockah thugs,hooligans,flares

con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Of interest I noticed ABC sport radio in Adelaide ( 5an ) talking somewhat extensively about the women’s foodyball competition somewhere or other and how marvellously it was progressing and to tell you the truth I have never ever heard any talk about women’s foodyball (I did not know that it existed) on 5an radio

My question is this “has this most recent radio publicity of the local women’s foodyball anything to do with the publicity (miniscul though it is) our girls are achieving while over there in Germany at the minute

girtXc
girtXc
World Class

conm wrote:
Of interest I noticed ABC sport radio in Adelaide ( 5an ) talking somewhat extensively about the women’s foodyball competition somewhere or other and how marvellously it was progressing and to tell you the truth I have never ever heard any talk about women’s foodyball (I did not know that it existed) on 5an radio

My question is this “has this most recent radio publicity of the local women’s foodyball anything to do with the publicity (miniscul though it is) our girls are achieving while over there in Germany at the minute

In a word

Yes

Coodabeens have also been on the case lately doing interviews at womens games and Lindy Burns on ABC 774 had a large discussion a week or so back re the incredible success of the game that now has nearly 200 women playing Australia wide

:oops:
tfozz
tfozz
Pro
Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)Pro (2K reputation)

conm wrote:

Yes, I had a look at ABC's online edition and was surprised that they cover a broad section of sport. I have become accustomed to blanket media coverage of rugby in Sydney even when it is off-season.
BETHFC
BETHFC
World Class
World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)World Class (8.2K reputation)

girtXc wrote:
benelsmore wrote:

Yeh AAMI park was pretty quiet and of course the Crows are travelling poorly this season so naturally crowds will suffer.

I think everyone is suffering. People are weary of the money they spend at the moment. It will be interesting to see how the new A-League season goes.
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Simon still giving it to sa eggballers luv it :D

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0ZmxwVHWd9j8u1hcdDlK6P

PODCAST EPISODE

SIMON HILL on SEN SA Breakfast (18/2/21)

SEN SA Breakfast

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Well done as always by Simon, smart enough to not take the argument on the other party's terms and sticking up for the game. 100% agree with his point that our domestic season is too short, too.

"One or two things coming up in a few weeks", fingers crossed it's A-League going to Optus Sport!
Edited
3 Years Ago by paladisious
AnthonyC
AnthonyC
Amateur
Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)Amateur (622 reputation)

So, 10 years ago, someone tries to make an assertion that any of the other codes were scared of football. Well here we are and football is teetering. We're hoping for some white knight to saves us. Half or more of the players are u22 because there's no money in the game compared to every other top line sport in Oz. The quality of games, defence especially, is rubbish. No marquees , recycled no holders. Wow, we've come along way.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

The game in Australia suffers may too much cultural cringe, its quite sad to see it be like this for this long.

It doesnt help the game has that small man syndrome either where it thinks it doesnt belong with the other codes and its got to find that 'clean air' for relevance and attention.

The NRL and AFL have gotten anywhere in Australia with little to no relevance overseas apart from UK rugby league and when they see our game how popular it is with envy and often they take the opportunity to put it down as a way of jealously. 

Same old story really.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search